Welcome to the world little one...!

Peppered

About a month after bringing Pepper home, I purchased two panther chameleon eggs. I probably should have given myself more time before deciding to make such a big leap, but I can't really take it back now... But I feel pretty confident with what I have learned so far, and I'm excited to say that one of the eggs has hatched!!

I noticed it started to just barely sweat yesterday but I wasn't anticipating it to shrink and fully hatch out so quickly based on what I've read about the process 😅 but I guess the little one was eager to come out! I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the sex of this tiny baby? To my untrained eyes I think it might be a boy...

I took a few opportunity pics before letting it loose in the baby bin (which is sitting inside an XL reptibreeze to catch the stray mist lol). Please let me know if there may be anything wrong with the setup!

There's a small palm plant and pothos in right now, I decided to start simple so that I can make sure the little one is eating and pooping well. I also have the mister set to go off for 2 minutes at 8:30am (30 minutes before lights on), 1 minute at 2:30pm, and 1 minute at 8pm. Lights off at 9pm. I still need to observe the humidity levels with this timer setup but I'll adjust it as needed

Attachments

• 20240913_140045.jpg
    20240913_140045.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240913_153839.jpg
    20240913_153839.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240913_153843.jpg
    20240913_153843.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240913_153858.jpg
    20240913_153858.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240913_154535.jpg
    20240913_154535.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 2
Baby is so cute!
Do you still have the other egg?
Yes :) It is still incubating though. I've noticed it starting to get more windows lately but otherwise no signs of hatching soon. These eggs are from 2 different sets of parents as well so I'm not sure they will hatch around the same times anyways

Edit to add, both eggs hit the 6 months mark in August, so this one is just under 7 months old since being laid :)

Squee! 🤗 So adorable and tiny! I think I heard on a podcast that baby’s can be sexed pretty easy when first hatched so on that premise, I do believe there’s a teensy little hemipenal bulge. 🥰

Such an adorable cutie. Did you got them form Chameleon101? That the only business I can think of buying Panther eggs for sale.

OMG... The second egg is sweating now! It has already shrank to about half the size it was! I'm seriously so excited that they are hatching around the same time, this is so cool!!

The first baby hatched out on Friday the 13th, and I love Halloween, so a coworker and I brainstormed the name M&M (for Michael Myers, not the candy lol, though he's as tiny as an m&m so it works too!)

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be better (or make no difference) to put both babies together while they're newly hatched? I know I've seen some breeders do this, although they're caring for full clutches. I can set up another cage of course, I just wondered what the thoughts are!

OMG... The second egg is sweating now! It has already shrank to about half the size it was! I'm seriously so excited that they are hatching around the same time, this is so cool!!

The first baby hatched out on Friday the 13th, and I love Halloween, so a coworker and I brainstormed the name M&M (for Michael Myers, not the candy lol, though he's as tiny as an m&m so it works too!)

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be better (or make no difference) to put both babies together while they're newly hatched? I know I've seen some breeders do this, although they're caring for full clutches. I can set up another cage of course, I just wondered what the thoughts are!
While they are tiny, I believe they can be cohabbed, but only for a very short time. Eventually one will assume dominance over the other, so they should be separated before that can happen.

While they are tiny, I believe they can be cohabbed, but only for a very short time. Eventually one will assume dominance over the other, so they should be separated before that can happen.
Thank you!! I was planning to keep them together in the baby bin only for a week or two so I can monitor how well they're eating/pooping. I know I could put them in the 2x2x4 enclosures right away but since this is my first time with hatchlings I want to be a bit more cautious 😅

I do have one question though, I noticed since the 2nd baby hatched, he's had one eye enlarged. I'm not 100% sure if he hatched that way or if it developed within a few hours post-hatch. I'm hesitantly assuming he might have gotten something in his eye, so I've been a little more generous with misting, but I don't want to drench them either! Any thoughts? I'm going to check on him again once I get home from work, hopefully it looks better!

Attachments

• 20240917_150726.jpg
    20240917_150726.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240917_150908.jpg
    20240917_150908.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240917_150849.jpg
    20240917_150849.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom