Wet plants..

J Rog

My plants are staying too wet. They never dry out and feel very wet to the touch. I have a Dragon Strand hybrid enclosure. I mist via mist king 3 times at night/ early morning (30 mins after lights off, 2am, and 30mins before lights turn on). So really 2 questions in this post

1) should I cut my misting 2 times as opposed to 3 times since I also run a fogger all night to help?

2) Anyone try cactus soil for their plants for the more drainage aspects?

I use a plastic plant saucer as a water barrier. I cut a slit with a hole near the center. It's placed around the flower pot as a water barrier. Some of them are cut in half with a half circle cot from the center. I place each half at the rim of the flower pot and tape them together. It just deflects the water, to avoid over watering.

I use a plastic plant saucer as a water barrier. I cut a slit with a hole near the center. It's placed around the flower pot as a water barrier. Some of them are cut in half with a half circle cot from the center. I place each half at the rim of the flower pot and tape them together. It just deflects the water, to avoid over watering.

Oh nice. Thats a good idea 👍 thanks!

Screenshot_20240903_180628_Chrome.jpg

In the past, I lost a ton of plants.

Hi there. Just a few questions.
Is it the soil staying wet or the actual plant leaves?
How long are your misting sessions?
What hours are you running the fogger?
What is your ambient humidity daytime?
Are you running a PC fan on top of the cage to help cycle air?

I occasionally will move my plants around if needed. Pothos is tolerant of just about everything and tradescantia zebrina loves water and drinks a lot. It also helps to have some clay balls or pebbles in the bottom of your pots to help with drainage.

Hi there. Just a few questions.
Is it the soil staying wet or the actual plant leaves?
How long are your misting sessions?
What hours are you running the fogger?
What is your ambient humidity daytime?
Are you running a PC fan on top of the cage to help cycle air?
Hi, soil is staying wet. I was misting 3 times a night with each session being 3mins. I changed that last night to 2 sessions at 2mins per session. Fogging starts at 9pm (lights are out at 8pm). On one hour and off one hour up until 7am (lights on at 8am). Ambient day time humidity ranges from 50-60%. I’m not running a top fan but was debating on tossing one at the top of the enclosure

Hi, soil is staying wet. I was misting 3 times a night with each session being 3mins. I changed that last night to 2 sessions at 2mins per session. Fogging starts at 9pm (lights are out at 8pm). On one hour and off one hour up until 7am (lights on at 8am). Ambient day time humidity ranges from 50-60%. I’m not running a top fan but was debating on tossing one at the top of the enclosure
So if it is just the soil that is better then the entire enclosure holding too much moisture. Get a PC fan place it on top pulling air up and out. Make sure you place it away from where your fogger runs in though.

Depending on the soil you used you may need to swap it out for something else. Adding the clay drainage balls to the bottom of the pots helps as well. I have about 2 inches in the bottom of all of my pots. Allows for much better drainage.

So if it is just the soil that is better then the entire enclosure holding too much moisture. Get a PC fan place it on top pulling air up and out. Make sure you place it away from where your fogger runs in though.

Depending on the soil you used you may need to swap it out for something else. Adding the clay drainage balls to the bottom of the pots helps as well. I have about 2 inches in the bottom of all of my pots. Allows for much better drainage.

Thanks! As for the fan I would assume run during the day only so it’s not sucking out all the humidity at night?

Thanks! As for the fan I would assume run during the day only so it’s not sucking out all the humidity at night?
Depends on your preference. I run mine all the time to keep air circulating. If you look at the recommendations for fogging it includes air circulation with cold temps. You want to avoid stagnant air. With a full hybrid set up you do not have the same air flow as screen so you have to make adjustments to keep air moving well.

Back
Top Bottom