What do you use? UVA+UVB

Hey guys,
just wandering what everyone uses in conjunction with their UVB light set-up? I believe the Exo Terra linear tubes (for UVB output) has a 6700K rating, so what regular UV light (and rating) should I use with it to stimulate a more natural "sun" look?

Hey guys,
just wandering what everyone uses in conjunction with their UVB light set-up? I believe the Exo Terra linear tubes (for UVB output) has a 6700K rating, so what regular UV light (and rating) should I use with it to stimulate a more natural "sun" look?

UVB lamps do have some UVA in them. UVA is best provided by the basking lamp. You should have a two part lighting system, or three if you use live plants. Best way to go in my experience is a dual linear light fixture. If you have more than one cage, buy the longer fixtures and span them over two enclosures. Even if you use a 48" fixture on a 24" enclosure the extra light around the cage isn't a bad thing. In the dual fixture use a UVB lamp, I like ZooMed lamps. In the second slot use a 6500K light for the plants, this is even helpful to the chameleon even if you aren't using live plants. It is brighter and more natural as this is a close spectra to actual daylight. The third part of your lighting will be the basking lamp. I prefer the Phillips PAR20 Halogen FLOOD lamps at a 50 watt output. These should be used at a 45* angle to the basking branch to create a natural sun like basking area. Heat lamps pointed straight down can cause burns to the chameleons dorsal crest.

I hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom