What should I gut-load my Jackson circkets with? Is Spirulena Total Bites enough?

AdamBrown

Total Bites with spirulena says it's the complete gutload. Is that enough?

If not what should I use? I watched a video and I heard radish greens are very important and carrots are good about once a week. Any other help would be appreciated?

What can you tell me about freezing a gutload concoction? ty!

I used to make my own with fresh veggies and fruit. I always put a portion in the freezer.
Now I use Repashey Bug Burger and Cricket crack, and throw in a leaf of kale or something when I have some to spare.

My husband made some cricket food today, he blended carrots, mustard greens, sweet potato and apple, poured it into an ice trey and now has a dozen frozen cubes of feed, take one out every other day and put it in the cricket cage.....they love this stuff.

Here is the description and ingredients list of the products you ask about:

One step care for crickets and other insects. Provides essential water and nutrients in one easy step. Two sizes for convenience.

Cricket Total Bites offer convenience and effectiveness in one easy step. Provides essential food and water to crickets and other insects in easy-to-dispense bites. Reduces mess and odor associated with other feeding and watering methods. Contains more than 15 vitamins and minerals, including Spirulina. Provides maximum gutload in one easy step.

Ingredients:
Carrageenan, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, fructose, lecithin, locust bean gum, calcium lactate, spirulina, potassium sorbate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, methylparaben, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1.

Directions:
Sprinkle a small amount in a shallow dish.

Made in the USA.

Basically, the ingredients are terrible. I am just shocked by it. Well, not really. First is carrageenan, which is made from red sea weed and has no nutritional value at all! It's been proven to cause inflammation and cancer of the digetional tract. Many organic companies have removed this ingredient from their products.

http://www.organicauthority.com/blo...ests-fda-remove-carrageenan-from-food-supply/

Whey protein and soy are unnecessary. As are maltodextrin, fructose, lecithin, locust bean gum, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, methylparaben, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1. Basically, the ingredients are a bunch of garbage. The only onc worth anything is spirulina, and there is hardly any in it.

Last edited:
What about flukers orange cubes, Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified & Flukers High-Calcium cricket diet?

What about flukers orange cubes, Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified & Flukers High-Calcium cricket diet?

Abe, here are the ingredients to the High-Calcium cricket diet you mention:

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, calcium carbonate, soybean meal, wheat middlings, ground soybean hulls, meat meal, fish meal, animal fat preserved with BHA, dicalcium phosphate, salt, dl-methionine, cyanocobalamin (source of vitamin B12), riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, nicotinic acid, choline chloride, folic acid, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (source of vitamin E), menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K), magnesium oxide, thiamine, cobalt carbonate, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide.

It's even worse, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom