When can I start using substrate?

carter29

I had to remove the substrate from my baby cham’s enclosure, because she was eating it. I know this is normal, but when can I add in substrate again? What kind should I use when I do add it? She’s around 2 months old. What do you guys think?

I had to remove the substrate from my baby cham’s enclosure, because she was eating it. I know this is normal, but when can I add in substrate again? What kind should I use when I do add it? She’s around 2 months old. What do you guys think?
I would only recommend substrate if you're going bioactive. Before using substrate, fecal checks to make sure your cham clear to avoid continuing the parasites life cycle is crucial. Another topic altogether.

Bare floor is so much easier to clean and prevent parasites. Just make sure she has a way to climb off the bottom. Also if she is eating your substrate she maybe a Cham that enjoys eating plants. Try taking a whole piece of romaine lettuce, wash it good then tie it to something to see if she eats it. If she does, then do that a few times a week so she eats something healthy. Collard greens are very healthy too. If she goes for it it’s my guess that the breeder would hang it for the clutch. I have seen that before. Never put coco husk as a substrate due to parasites and if that is what you have been using a parasite check is in order. The bricks carry parasites unless frozen for a week.

Bare floor is so much easier to clean and prevent parasites. Just make sure she has a way to climb off the bottom. Also if she is eating your substrate she maybe a Cham that enjoys eating plants. Try taking a whole piece of romaine lettuce, wash it good then tie it to something to see if she eats it. If she does, then do that a few times a week so she eats something healthy. Collard greens are very healthy too. If she goes for it it’s my guess that the breeder would hang it for the clutch. I have seen that before. Never put coco husk as a substrate due to parasites and if that is what you have been using a parasite check is in order. The bricks carry parasites unless frozen for a week.
Got it, I will try the lettuce. She try’s to eat her plants, and I’m sure she’d eat lettuce.

With Ecoli running rampart just make sure you wash each leaf real good. Also plant eating can change the color of her poo. Make it darker. That is normal. Try hanging it and if she doesn’t go for it cut it into two inch squares and put it in her food bowl. It may take her a bit to figure it out. Try hand feeding to. Seriously though you should get a food scale and start tracking her weight gain. If she loses any, get her to a vet for a fecal check. Glad you brought the subject up. 👍

Back
Top Bottom