Why does my chameleon choose to be with me?

kenzie!

Hi everyone! I got my chameleon, Theo, on June 10th and gave him proper time to settle in and since then I started hand-feeding him. When I first got him he was a very shy little guy but after about two weeks he came onto my hand willingly. Ever since then when I open his cage door he comes to me and chills on my hand and doesn’t want to go back in his enclosure most times. Is this normal? I’ve done lots of research and know most chams do not enjoy handling.

His cage is 2x2x4, cool side-73°F basking-85°F humidity-42%. Working on adding more live plants too. He’s fed twice daily as he is still young.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi and welcome to the forum! The most common reason for a chameleon to be coming out all the time is incorrect husbandry. Or you might have just gotten lucky!
If you could fill out this full husbandry form that would be awesome and would help us find out if anything’s wrong. I did see in your previous post that your chameleon was estimated to be around 5 months. At this point they should only be being fed once a day in the morning.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem-

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome to the forum! The most common reason for a chameleon to be coming out all the time is incorrect husbandry. Or you might have just gotten lucky!
If you could fill out this full husbandry form that would be awesome and would help us find out if anything’s wrong. I did see in your previous post that your chameleon was estimated to be around 5 months. At this point they should only be being fed once a day in the morning.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem-

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Species- Veiled Chameleon
Age-Estimated 5-6 months
Sex-Male
In my care-1 month 1 1/2 weeks
Handling-Whenever he chooses.
Feeding-Dubia Roaches-3-4 daily, crickets-15 daily
Gutload-Leafy greens (I own a bunny so what she eats each week)
Supplements-Zoo Med Repti-Calcium without D3 daily, Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 twice a month
Watering-Dripper at all times, mist twice daily for two-three minutes. I’ve seen him drink.
Fecal- Brown with white urates. No parasite testing.
Cage-2x2x4 reptibreeze screen enclosure.
Lighting-Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO for UVB, 50W basking bulb. Lights on-9:30 Lights out-9:30.
Temperature-cool side 73°F, basking 85°F, lowest overnight temp 60°F, I use a digital thermometer.
Humidity-Daytime 42%, Night time 70-75%, Digital Hygrometer
Plants-Live potho’s and ivy with a mix of fake plants.
Placement-My bedroom, relatively low traffic most of the day. Cage is on the floor as of now, in the works of getting a stand!
Location-North Carolina

Concern-My chameleon chooses to be handled very consistently, just wanting to ensure everything is okay.
this is him!
0FA82BAA-A51B-4F32-8F3C-F638D36CC76E.jpeg
9F52B289-ED96-4F1A-B547-97CAD0B2B86B.jpeg

Species- Veiled Chameleon
Age-Estimated 5-6 months
Sex-Male
In my care-1 month 1 1/2 weeks
Handling-Whenever he chooses.
Feeding-Dubia Roaches-3-4 daily, crickets-15 daily
Gutload-Leafy greens (I own a bunny so what she eats each week)
Supplements-Zoo Med Repti-Calcium without D3 daily, Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 twice a month
Watering-Dripper at all times, mist twice daily for two-three minutes. I’ve seen him drink.
Fecal- Brown with white urates. No parasite testing.
Cage-2x2x4 reptibreeze screen enclosure.
Lighting-Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO for UVB, 50W basking bulb. Lights on-9:30 Lights out-9:30.
Temperature-cool side 73°F, basking 85°F, lowest overnight temp 60°F, I use a digital thermometer.
Humidity-Daytime 42%, Night time 70-75%, Digital Hygrometer
Plants-Live potho’s and ivy with a mix of fake plants.
Placement-My bedroom, relatively low traffic most of the day. Cage is on the floor as of now, in the works of getting a stand!
Location-North Carolina

Concern-My chameleon chooses to be handled very consistently, just wanting to ensure everything is okay.
Ok, so everything looks good except for your feeding and gutloading. You should be providing more variety of feeder insects like superworms hornworms (not too often) and black soldier fly larvae. For gutloading i have attached a sheet. Also take out the fake plants and make it 100% live plants.

Attachments

• 40F8ACCE-5FD0-4A97-AEB0-F68ABE979F17.jpeg
    40F8ACCE-5FD0-4A97-AEB0-F68ABE979F17.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DB58750C-610A-447B-91BE-6CB9324E2A45.png
    DB58750C-610A-447B-91BE-6CB9324E2A45.png
    853.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F33A53D8-BA7E-4100-9C28-973FBA8258C3.png
    F33A53D8-BA7E-4100-9C28-973FBA8258C3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Ok, so everything looks good except for your feeding and gutloading. You should be providing more variety of feeder insects like superworms hornworms (not too often) and black soldier fly larvae. For gutloading i have attached a sheet. Also take out the fake plants and make it 100% live plants.
Thank you so so much! I forgot to mention i also use the repashy bug burger as a gutload as well. If you have any recommendations of where I can get him some more variety of bugs please let me know!

Hello and welcome to the forum! @ToastyCham has said everything perfectly. You really did get lucky because most veils are pretty feisty but yours seems sweet. Definitely get rid of the fake plants. Here is a link for Neptune the Chameleon to make Gutload Ice Cubes. Can’t wait to see how you and your chameleon are going in the future. Just wanted to pop in and say hello 😊

Hello! @ToastyCham has said just about all that can be said! The only thing I might add- it could be because he is on the floor. That would be the only reason that stands out to me. See what he does when you do get a stand. When he gets to be full grown his personality may change a bit as well. Consider yourself lucky!

Welcome, with the veg your using make sure it does not have spinach in it. It is calcium binding.

Per the behavior part of it may be the fact that the cage is on the floor. So he is wanting out where he can be higher even if that is on you. And then part of it may mean you have a friendlier veiled. My Beman was like this. As they mature their personality can change so you just need to learn his warning signs of when he does not want any interaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom