Young Chameleon not shedding?

BayChams

Hi,
I've had my cham for almost two months now, and she has only shed once in this whole time... Should I be worried (She is a 4 1/2 month old veiled chameleon)?

She should be shedding a little more frequently, but she might just be a slow grower. I wouldn't worry about it. Can you post some pics of her?

IMG_1284.JPG

I am a semi experienced chameleon owner so I do not know much more than the basics. Something like this is a little above my qualifications.

I don't know anything about translucents, but I don't like the black on the arms, head and eyes. Her color is not right, but that might just be because you stressed her taking the pictures. Maybe the eyes are sunken in as well, but the pictures aren't clear.

Your original question was about shedding frequency, which is dependent on growth. I think growth is the least of her issues. If she were mine, I would be doing some intensive supportive care or have her at the vet's depending on her intrinsic value to me. The first thing I would do would be to put a mister on her for 20 minutes and for 10 or 15 minutes an hour after that for a day and see if she starts to look better.

You have her in a glass terrarium, which is much harder to get the temperatures right because the heat is trapped in the solid walls. You want to be sure she can get cool enough. Your temperatures might not be what you think they are.

Your pictures aren't very clear, but if there is any chance she is on the decline, early intervention really increases their survival rate.

Those are my thoughts based on a couple of pictures, pictures which might not give me an accurate picture of what she is like.

I don't know anything about translucents, but I don't like the black on the arms, head and eyes.

The "black" used to be purple, but it got darker a few weeks ago. I don't have any good pictures, but normally it looks like dark purple... She got mad at me for taking the pics. Also, I have her in a screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom