zoos that display montane species

pamnsam94

Established Member
Anyone know of any zoos or other institutions that currently exhibit (or have attempted to exhibit) species like Triceros quadricornis, T. pfefferi, T. montium, T. perreti or other montane species. I'm mostly wanting to know of places in the U.S., but other places would be of interest too, just in case I ever have a chance to travel to other countries. :D Thanks

Perry

Anyone? Anyone? Well, I mostly wanted to know about places (mostly in the U.S.) that exhibit montane species, but I would also be interested in seeing pics of exhibits that house the more common species like panthers. Most often, I've seen chameleons put in zoo enclosures that were originally intended for other occupants. I've heard about the Oklahoma zoo having success with various chameleon species in the past, but I've never seen any photos of their exhibits. I'd love to see some or get some responses to my original question. :)

California Academy of Sciences Details
Phone: (415) 379-8000
Hours: Mon-Sat, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Sun, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day

Have Maddy, and African displays. So, Panthers and Jackson's

Fort Worth Zoo
in Texas

It has
-Kilimanjaro two horned chameleon
- and this ( in the photo)
- and a parsons

Sorry if they aren't montane, I'm not really familiar with those! :eek:
Also you might be disappointed if you visit...If I was certainly older and more qualified I would have liked to had a word with who ever is in charge of their exhibits....for chameleons at least, not all that great :(

The National Zoo used to keep a panther or two but don't know if they still try. They would rotate them between rooftop wire cages and an enclosed display in the reptile house.

The National Zoo used to keep a panther or two but don't know if they still try. They would rotate them between rooftop wire cages and an enclosed display in the reptile house.

I didnt see any when I was there. Although, it was quite a few years back. The Amazon exhibit and Bald Eagles where my favorite.

Thanks everyone. It always makes a person feel good to at least get one response to their original question. :D
I always enjoy looking at zoo and aquarium exhibits, sometimes as much as I do looking at the animals themselves if the displays are aesthetically pleasing. Besides wanting to know what chameleons zoos and other institutions are exhibiting, I guess I should also say that I'm most interested in what zoos have had success with their public displays. By success, I mean keepiing their chameleons long term and possibly breeding them as well. Anyone have any photos of chameleon exhibits at the Oklahoma City zoo? I read an article (from the late 80s I think; by Eileen Castle??) about that zoos success with different species (can't remember which ones) but I never saw any photos of their setups.

Or we could show you lots of pictures.

Steve, are those quads ones you currently have? If so, how old are they now? I'll be posting some pics next week of some of the 14 quads I hatched at the end of April. Ten of them will be 2 months old on Monday and I'm starting to think more about trading some of them for other young quads that other forum members may have.

One, in a sad cage:(

Agreed. I was surprised that with the new multi million dollar reptile exhibit they were raving about, they had this awful chameleon exhibit. Hardly any ventilation, very dim lighting, and ONE pothos plant with tons of sticks. When I finally spotted the multituberculatum in there he was sleeping in the middle of the plant. Not good. I can't believe a zoo in a major city like LA has a herpetologist that knows nothing about chameleon husbandry (obviously). I'm sure it's dead by now:-/ after all these years of chameleons in captivity and a zoo doesn't even have a clue. Sad.

i went to my local zoo and they had a jacksons chameleon male and female the enclosure was very nice the only problem was that it was all glass they looked very healthy and all

I thought I would try to resurrect an old thread. Now that a couple of years have passed, I figured there might be more zoos keeping chameleons. Over the holidays, my wife, kids and I visited my in-laws in Knoxville, TN. Since we are members of the Cincinnati Zoo, we were able to get into the Knoxville Zoo for free.

Anyway, in one of the buildings, they had two different species of chameleons on display. One of the photos shows the exhibit that houses a trio of Oustalet's chameleons. The zoo is currently incubating Oustalet's eggs. In a second exhibit, they have one of the Brookesia species housed together with neon day geckos (Phelsuma klemmeri; one of my favorite day geckos). It took me a while to find one because they are so well camouflaged. Anyone want to test their identification skills as to what species of Brookesia the zoo has on display before Chris might chime in? :)

Perry

Attachments

• Knoxville 1.jpg
    Knoxville 1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Knoxville 2.jpg
    Knoxville 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Knoxville 3.jpg
    Knoxville 3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 164
I should mention that the Oustalet's exhibit, though not wide, is pretty deep, so it's a lot more roomy that it appears.

Perry

Hey Perry,
You might check out the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo for a few Cham species. Voted the best Zoo in the world current ! They have a Madascar exhibit and have a few different species , a Panther, Carpets/ Jeweled , Malagasy Giant, maybe a Kinyongia Lateralis ? As of the last time I was there.:D
As of the Brookesia species , no clue . I do like the species!
Dave

Back
Top Bottom