Beware of superworms

MzLaurie

Established Member
Hello all
I was going over my chams eating regime with my new vet whom I just adore, Dr Stein and he warned me about super worms something that I have never heard before. He said that he has treated many chameleons for digestive issues caused by eating super worms. Apparently they can be swallowed without being killed and will try to eat through the digestive track causing a lot of harm most of the time that can’t be fixed before actually dying. This can be fatal to a chameleon. I have never heard of this but Dr Stein was adamant so superworms are off of my chams diet. I feel why take any chances. It actually does make sense cause they are very tough worms!

Hello all
I was going over my chams eating regime with my new vet whom I just adore, Dr Stein and he warned me about super worms something that I have never heard before. He said that he has treated many chameleons for digestive issues caused by eating super worms. Apparently they can be swallowed without being killed and will try to eat through the digestive track causing a lot of harm most of the time that can’t be fixed before actually dying. This can be fatal to a chameleon. I have never heard of this but Dr Stein was adamant so superworms are off of my chams diet. I feel why take any chances. It actually does make sense cause they are very tough worms!
I’ve been paranoid about this so I’ll make sure to (might be insensitive 😂) crush their heads so they’re barely alive but still twitching around a little so my chams can react to the movement

I believe this or something similar has been debunked as false, but my Swiss cheese memory can’t recall details. It does sound reasonable and like something which could occur, but it doesn’t. However, I do strongly believe that superworms can and will cause damage (which leads to mouth rot) to our chameleon’s mouths as they will bite back when being eaten. I save the supers for my beardie’s only.

This myth went around back in the 90s to about meal worms fed to any reptile, that they would eat their way out of a reptile leading to the death of the reptile but this was found to be untrue.

Yup another urban wise tail.

Find out for yourself. Get some supers. fill a bowl with a wee bit of water,not even covering them just enough for surface tension, they all ded real soon.

The only thing that i know of that can come out the other end and start wiggling, is BSFL. And everyone recommends them :p

All we really have to do is have the beardies teach the chams to chew each bite 32 times.

Back
Top Bottom