Feeders

Yljohnson

Hi everyone!

We recently moved our girl Kiri to her larger 2’x2’x4’ enclosure, about 2 weeks ago, and it seems like she’s not really eating as much as she did in her smaller enclosure. She explores plenty, alternates from her basking branch and UVB branch, and I’ve seen her drinking from her spot where her dripper is. She has also claimed a branch that leads to her nesting box in the back as her sleeping branch. But her feeder seems to go untouched more often than not. She also recently had her first shed since getting her, when we moved her to her larger enclosure.

I’m wondering if I should adjust her feeder to be reached from a lower branch, or change her feeder to something that makes the feeders more enticing. If I need a new feeder container, what do you all use/recommend?

In case anyone needs the info:
  • Kiri is, I think, around 3 months old.
  • We got her in the beginning of March from petsmart.
  • She was eating around 4-5 crickets 2x a day in her smaller enclosure. They’re always gut loaded with leafy greens and squash, dusted every feeding with repticalcium w/o D3 and with repashy LoD 2x a month. I also recently introduced small Dubai roaches.
  • Enclosure: 2’x2’x4’ screened with a glad door, and I added a thin sheet of plexiglass to the left side, with a polyester rainforest leafy background attached to the outside of it, to give her more privacy in hopes of making her feel safer.
  • I have a cup of ice at the top of the enclosure where it drips on to a plant for her to drink. I also mist and fog 30 mins before lights on and 30 mins after lights off for about 2 mins.
  • Daytime humidity stays around 45-49%. Nighttime humidity stays around 80-90%.
  • Temps at her basking branch around 80 degrees and night temps drop to around 68 degrees.
  • Light sources: 60W basking bulb in the back of the enclosure and a T5 HO 5.0 UVB near the mid/front of the enclosure.
  • All of her plants are real, and she has a laying bin to the back corner behind the plants.
I’ve attached photos of her and her enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8168.jpeg
    IMG_8168.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8149.jpeg
    IMG_8149.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9394.jpeg
    IMG_9394.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 6
I tend to put the feeder as low in the cage as possible. Also the feeder is see threw, so they may try to eat the bugs threw the plastic and give up.

But yea at that age she should be a good eater. now at 7-9 months you want to start limiting food so you dont ge early eggs.

I tend to put the feeder as low in the cage as possible. Also the feeder is see threw, so they may try to eat the bugs threw the plastic and give up.

But yea at that age she should be a good eater. now at 7-9 months you want to start limiting food so you dont ge early eggs.
So I lowered the feeder and she still doesn’t seem interested, I even added smart worms to see if that would get her attention. She’s still moving from her basking branch and UVB branch, and is still drinking.
I did order a new feeder , that just got here today, hopefully it will help entice her more, pictured below.
image.jpg

I also have an appointment scheduled for her on Monday to see a vet, just to be safe.

I always position the feeder just below basking so they are able to look into it from the basking level. Then position branches so they can easily walk over to it. To get them used to it I also load the feeder run with a few dozen crickets because these move non stop.

Back
Top Bottom