Just one more time, going for the ultimate build

A14884CD-AE80-4791-A307-33FF8937EBC3.jpeg

Uh oh! Looks like the slugs have been getting busy making baby slugs. They are kind of cute though.
Very pretty isopod btw. Is it dairy cow?
Hate those slugs, they eat all plants leafs and leave slime traces on your cham and they're a plaque.

Yup, they're and are amazing to watch. They start to manifest pretty healthy and grow large, between a small and medium dubia.

I can’t recall the details, but I do recall hearing something about beer traps being good at getting rid of slugs. Maybe @jamest0o0 knows?
I have been wanting to get different kinds of isopods, but it is low on my priority list. I have only giant canyons. I had started with some zebra and powder orange too, but the giant canyons outcompeted them all. 😞 I’m still thinking if I’d like to have the pretty isopods just as ‘pets’. I do love the rubber duckies. So cute!

I can’t recall the details, but I do recall hearing something about beer traps being good at getting rid of slugs. Maybe @jamest0o0 knows?
I have been wanting to get different kinds of isopods, but it is low on my priority list. I have only giant canyons. I had started with some zebra and powder orange too, but the giant canyons outcompeted them all. 😞 I’m still thinking if I’d like to have the pretty isopods just as ‘pets’. I do love the rubber duckies. So cute!
Think I'm gonna place such trap, it's getting out of hand. Yeah, I know what mean, love buggers as well, especially in the evening when sitting next to Bella's enclosure I can hear them crawl between the leaf litter. When I then shine a light at it, at first you don't see anything and by second you'll spot and that's amazing to watch them. Also those beetles are cool and I think Neo is going to eat them, maybe the yellow color that scars them. I got the porcellio leavis 'red' and 'dairy cow' plus the trichorhina tomentosa isopods, also springtails, earthworms, thermobia domestica.

Yeah beer traps are supposed to work well, they’re actually bad to use in gardens(enclosure would be different) because they just attract slugs from all over and bring even more to your yard. Where I live we have tons of worms, slugs, and salamanders… find them everywhere I look lol.

Yeah those giant canyons don’t play around haha. I have thought about having an enclosure with a cool isopod species, seems like one will always take over at some point. One of those high yellow morphs would be pretty awesome.

@Sonny13 do you worry about the earth worm casings compacting the soil over time? They are good for soil, but I’ve read over time in large numbers they can break down the soil too much. Idk how long this would take though. Here in PA we have those invasive ‘jumping’ worms, they’re just like regular earthworms, but are very fast and squirm around real fast and slither like snakes. They’re said to be terrible for the plants too eating everything, they outcompete normal earthworms(not saying that’s your case, just a fun fact lol).

@Sonny13 do you worry about the earth worm casings compacting the soil over time? They are good for soil, but I’ve read over time in large numbers they can break down the soil too much. Idk how long this would take though. Here in PA we have those invasive ‘jumping’ worms, they’re just like regular earthworms, but are very fast and squirm around real fast and slither like snakes. They’re said to be terrible for the plants too eating everything, they outcompete normal earthworms(not saying that’s your case, just a fun fact lol).
Don´t know yet and I only released 3 of them, never seen one so far. I know the ipods are establishing themselves pretty well. Hopefully, the earth worms are bit more relaxed in reproducing themself.

Yeah beer traps are supposed to work well, they’re actually bad to use in gardens(enclosure would be different) because they just attract slugs from all over and bring even more to your yard. Where I live we have tons of worms, slugs, and salamanders… find them everywhere I look lol.
Thanks, already made one!! Lets see if it works and also doesn´t attract other CuC

Keep us posted on the beer trap! Regarding the earthworms, I’d imagine *normal* ones wouldn’t be much of a concern and beneficial. Some species just reproduce so fast and turn everything into compost(which is great for composting bins).

Keep us posted on the beer trap! Regarding the earthworms, I’d imagine *normal* ones wouldn’t be much of a concern and beneficial. Some species just reproduce so fast and turn everything into compost(which is great for composting bins).
Well, they get massively attracted to the trap, however they won’t go in it, yet! At least 20 slugs are already near and on the trap.
With the worms I’m using the Dendrobena Veneta, should be a ‘normal’ one, I hope?!

Some interesting wild grow is happening, this plant (red arrow) sat in the opposite corner and died. Also the clean-up crew is pretty hungry (and damn slugs)....

interesting.jpg

poop.jpg

Just a thought… and this might be a little taboo to recommend, but I think you might be able to pull it off… what about considering some sort of nocturnal toad to handle the slugs and keep the worms in check. I don’t say that lightly, but you’re a committed keeper… I think you’re capable of considering all of the variables that go along with that and deciding if it would or wouldn’t be a good idea.

Just a thought… and this might be a little taboo to recommend, but I think you might be able to pull it off… what about considering some sort of nocturnal toad to handle the slugs and keep the worms in check. I don’t say that lightly, but you’re a committed keeper… I think you’re capable of considering all of the variables that go along with that and deciding if it would or wouldn’t be a good idea.
No worries James, already considered the options with @Mendez . And was thinking about nocturnal gecko, like a leaf tail or eyelash. But, I don’t trust Neo, she hunts down everything in her enclosure and knows every inch. She patrols constantly in search for food. At the moment everything is slowly stabile, beer trap did his job. If things change I reconsider it again. Cheers 👍🏻

No worries James, already considered the options with @Mendez . And was thinking about nocturnal gecko, like a leaf tail or eyelash. But, I don’t trust Neo, she hunts down everything in her enclosure and knows every inch. She patrols constantly in search for food. At the moment everything is slowly stabile, beer trap did his job. If things change I reconsider it again. Cheers 👍🏻
Ook cool! See you think of everything lol.

Take me some time to realise it, but.....these are the pictures of the bromelia from day one vs. the pictures from now 8 months later.......insane how they can grow!! It had 1 big and 2 small sprouts and now 1 huge, 3 big and 2 small sprouts.

IMG_5370 (2).JPG

8 months later

deee.jpg
fjmo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom