New chameleon grandma with questions!

I had a bromeliad in a male veiled’s enclosure once, but he wasn’t much for nibbling his plants. The leaves are very tough, so I’m not sure they’d be able to eat much of it. If you want some color, try croton, tradescantia zebrina, nerve plants, polka dot plants, all which are veiled safe.

Would it be OK to add a couple 12" LED grow bars for my plants? I know not the colored ones(purple). These ones are dimmable and have timer settings. I wanted to mount one on each side of the enclosure near the bottom or even vertically. If they're on a 6 or 8 hr timer would that be OK?
I think I have more money in plants than I do the enclosure and I want them to thrive. Just not at the expense of MJs health or happiness.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!🙂

At what age do female veileds start laying eggs? Someone here said MJ looked to be about 4-5 months.

She is now nearly 9" from tip to tip but she's starting to look fat to me? I'll attach a couple of pics. Her color is a little different than normal but she had just woken up when I took these. Also, how long do between mating and laying. We've only had her 30 days. Could she have possibly mated before I bought her? I know they don't have to mate to lay, but I don't want to toss fertilized eggs!

Her appetite is normal. She's in there munching away on breakfast.

Im hoping to have her in her new enclosure come the weekend and it will have a lay bin. Can she wait till then?
1000003140.jpg

1000003139.jpg

Would it be OK to add a couple 12" LED grow bars for my plants? I know not the colored ones(purple). These ones are dimmable and have timer settings. I wanted to mount one on each side of the enclosure near the bottom or even vertically. If they're on a 6 or 8 hr timer would that be OK?
I think I have more money in plants than I do the enclosure and I want them to thrive. Just not at the expense of MJs health or happiness.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!🙂
Most of us use grow lights!

At what age do female veileds start laying eggs? Someone here said MJ looked to be about 4-5 months.

She is now nearly 9" from tip to tip but she's starting to look fat to me? I'll attach a couple of pics. Her color is a little different than normal but she had just woken up when I took these. Also, how long do between mating and laying. We've only had her 30 days. Could she have possibly mated before I bought her? I know they don't have to mate to lay, but I don't want to toss fertilized eggs!

Her appetite is normal. She's in there munching away on breakfast.

Im hoping to have her in her new enclosure come the weekend and it will have a lay bin. Can she wait till then?
View attachment 354997
View attachment 354998
Did she have colors or patterns when you first got her…like the ones she had in the pic you posted Monday? If she did, there could be a small chance that she did mate. Can you post some pics of her now without the screen in the way? I believe I see some colors and patterns, but can’t be certain. Plus, she’s just so adorable with her little pink gloves. 🤗 Did you check out my blog on veiled laying yet? If not, here it is. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ I have examples of receptive and gravid coloring that may help. I’ll guess that the lay bin can wait until the weekend, but you’ll have to go by her coloring and behaviors.

Did she have colors or patterns when you first got her…like the ones she had in the pic you posted Monday?
No. She was pretty much a solid light but bright green with a small yellow stripe. But if she was mad, a very dark color pattern of lines and dots emerged on the green with the green darkening just a bit. More of a grass green.

Now im seeing just a bit of blues. Slightly darker green
Can you post some pics of her now without the screen in the way?
1000003149.jpg
1000003147.jpg

Her mad colors aren't as dark as they used to be. I'm not sure if it's a color change or if she isn't as mad because she's getting used to me messing around in her cage.
1000003146.jpg

Did you check out my blog on veiled laying yet?
I did! Amazing info! From pic comparison it looks like this may be her receptive stage? It's just that she's starting to look a little chonky. Not fat shaming! Just an observation. 😆

Attachments

• 1000003149.jpg
    1000003149.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2
Umm…I asked another member and they too are thinking that your little cutie is starting to look like a boy. While some girls do have small tarsal spurs, that along with colors and patterns which are looking a bit male have me wondering. I see that a shed is starting and I’m really curious about the vibrancy of colors beneath.

And another member also believes you have a boy. So…congratulations! 😄 That also means that he is a bit younger than has been thought since his colors are just coming in and his casque hasn’t yet grown very tall. I’ll guesstimate he’s maybe between 3-4 months old.

Umm…I asked another member and they too are thinking that your little cutie is starting to look like a boy.
Omg! That would be amazing! I'm so worried about all the female needs. Is there a better pic you need showing a specific area? I did have MJ to the bet once and told the she was female and they didn't contradict me.
I see that a shed is starting
She/He shed less than 30 days ago. Is it normal to shed again so soon?

And another member also believes you have a boy. So…congratulations! 😄
Woo-hoo! Lol. No offense to those that like the females. That's just a little too much worry for me!

I guess I have to tell my grandson it's a male. That's ok. We got his gender wrong at birth too! We mistakenly thought he was female!

Omg! That would be amazing! I'm so worried about all the female needs. Is there a better pic you need showing a specific area? I did have MJ to the bet once and told the she was female and they didn't contradict me.

She/He shed less than 30 days ago. Is it normal to shed again so soon?
Sadly, many exotic vets have little experience with chameleons. Yours wouldn’t be the first to misgender a chameleon. With veileds usually determining gender is pretty easy and can be done at hatching. Males have a nubbin on their back heels, aka a tarsal spur. As they start reaching about 3-4 months old, their colors start coming in and soon after their casques grow tall. Here’s a pic of my sweet Hammlet when he was 4 months old. Red arrow is his spur.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes. Little ones shed often and it gradually slows down as they age. The more they are growing, the more they are shedding.

The little ones pretty much just go ‘poof’ when they shed and usually it will be the whole body at once. As they get older, the speed of shedding slows down and they’ll shed different body parts at different times.
I’m so glad you posted the pic that showed his little nubbin spur and that I actually caught it. Often I get blinders on when looking at one thing and miss everything else.

I’m so glad you posted the pic that showed his little nubbin spur and that I actually caught it.
Me too! You have no idea how relieved I am and how much stress and worry you saved me!

The little ones pretty much just go ‘poof’ when they shed
You're not kidding! All that's left are his tail and legs! He's pacing and rubbing alot. Is there anything I can do to help him or make him more comfortable?

Hi Winnie MJ is a translucent veiled chameleon. Translucent is an albino gene other than the coloring I don’t think there are any differences. I am in agreement that those are tarsal spurs on the rear feet. So you don’t have to worry about a lay bin or egg binding etc. much better. He is ready to shed again. When you see that light colored sheen in pics you can really tell. That is totally normal. When they are young like he is they tend to shed their entire body real fast. That changes once full grown. Then sections will molt. The only thing you need to watch for with molting is that shed at the top of the tail molts. If it doesn’t it can cut off the circulation and kill the top of the tail. Also stuck shed around ankles can cut off circulation too. If you see this assisting is necessary. Other than that, they are dry shedders and don’t need assistance by pulling it off for them. I personally like to blow it off their eyes so they don’t rub the eyes on branches which can cause injury when it impedes the vision. But that’s just my personal preference it’s not a must. Love the cage set up and you definitely need grow lights for your plants. Just make sure your heat is not concentrated. Keep the basking light perch away from the plant lights. Also whatever his tongue hits may end up down the gullet. So make sure there is no perlite or small rocks on top of the soil of your plants. I actually sift my top soil. And change it every year. Part of my spring cleaning. Crazy I know. But it works!

Hi Winnie MJ is a translucent veiled chameleon. Translucent is an albino gene other than the coloring I don’t think there are any differences. I am in agreement that those are tarsal spurs on the rear feet. So you don’t have to worry about a lay bin or egg binding etc. much better. He is ready to shed again. When you see that light colored sheen in pics you can really tell. That is totally normal. When they are young like he is they tend to shed their entire body real fast. That changes once full grown. Then sections will molt. The only thing you need to watch for with molting is that shed at the top of the tail molts. If it doesn’t it can cut off the circulation and kill the top of the tail. Also stuck shed around ankles can cut off circulation too. If you see this assisting is necessary. Other than that, they are dry shedders and don’t need assistance by pulling it off for them. I personally like to blow it off their eyes so they don’t rub the eyes on branches which can cause injury when it impedes the vision. But that’s just my personal preference it’s not a must. Love the cage set up and you definitely need grow lights for your plants. Just make sure your heat is not concentrated. Keep the basking light perch away from the plant lights. Also whatever his tongue hits may end up down the gullet. So make sure there is no perlite or small rocks on top of the soil of your plants. I actually sift my top soil. And change it every year. Part of my spring cleaning. Crazy I know. But it works!
Oops meant to say tip of the tail

Back
Top Bottom