Saved this guy from PetSmart today...

@Winpooh718 I hope I didn't offend you with my statement/reply. Sometimes the written word doesn't work so well for me and what I mean to say comes off differently than what I meant. I really was just saying kudos to you for doing your thing for your new boy! i'm wordy, long winded, and sometimes make little sense (especially when I read back what I have written!)

and good for you for "sharing" his story! i hope something changes at that store, but if not, atleast it changed in this particular guys life! :)

The petco I went to treated the chameleons right. The first Cham I
touched was the one I got from there. I told him how to climb SUPER good!! I'm thinking about making a Ace Climber Club for chameleons!!

The petsmart down here stopped carrying them the petco hasn't I've been in there and they've tried selling nose fally s for Jacksons and argued wit me about it I think it's great you saved the Cham! I hope he does well and you get him back on his feet

@Winpooh718 I hope I didn't offend you with my statement/reply. Sometimes the written word doesn't work so well for me and what I mean to say comes off differently than what I meant. I really was just saying kudos to you for doing your thing for your new boy! i'm wordy, long winded, and sometimes make little sense (especially when I read back what I have written!)

and good for you for "sharing" his story! i hope something changes at that store, but if not, atleast it changed in this particular guys life! :)

No, I'm not offended. Everyone has a right to say what they feel, and it's okay to say it.

You've given me a different perspective, which is a good thing since I don't know everything.

***UPDATE***

Lord Charmander is doing well. He's the sweetest little thing, and doesn't freak out when I pick him up. He's so tiny you can't even feel any weight, I've got a food scale, and he doesn't even register in grams.

He's eating well, and drinking, and he makes a boom-boom that looks as good as any boom-boom I've seen!

I get him outside daily for fresh air and sunshine, and today I got some pictures of him. I think he's looking better...

20160814_134759.jpg
20160814_134847.jpg
20160814_134841.jpg

you are such a saint :))) we need more people like you in the word;) Once turn 16 i am going to work at m petstore so i can actually show then how to properly take care of them. Jesus, it is so painful to watch this little chameleon grow in the tiny cage they keep their reptiles in. Every time i go there to get crx or what not i just stand there in front of the cages just too look at them and feel their sorrow. if i had the money i would buy every single one of them. True story, the small animals and birds my local pet store were buying from were abused and no longer sell small animals nor birds because everyone was returning them sick and almost dead. absolutely sickening
What petstore would you want to work at? For petco I am pretty sure you have to be 18. I wanted to work there once I turned 16 too but then looked it up and it said 18. For petsmart im not sure cause I have no intrest working at a petsmart. Too many bad things have happened to me with petsmart animals

This poor little guy was at the store over 6 weeks, and he kept getting skinnier. It broke my heart, so I now have 3 veiled chameleons.

His color is a spectacular blue and green, and he is gorgeous.

I didn't want to freak him out, but, I was able to get a picture.

I'm slowly going to add what he needs to the cage so he can relax and enjoy his new home, which it 4 times larger than his old one.

Now it's time to fatten this boy up with some greens and worms, while I think of a name for him.

My other two are Lady Jade and Sir Ziggy -- any suggestions for a name?
View attachment 164233[/QUOTE
Gosh he is thin. Hope all is well

Glad to see he is eating was a little worried about that. Might want to take in a fecal to make sure he isn't full of parasites. Might mix in some wax worms (Bee Moths) they are quit fatty and not a good staple but great for fattening up you little guy. Good luck

This poor little guy was at the store over 6 weeks, and he kept getting skinnier. It broke my heart, so I now have 3 veiled chameleons.

I'm slowly going to add what he needs to the cage so he can relax and enjoy his new home, which it 4 times larger than his old one.

Now it's time to fatten this boy up with some greens and worms, while I think of a name for him.

View attachment 164233[/QU
"GUMBY" (y)

View attachment 164233

'GUMBY'

I used to work at a Petco, and I can guarantee that most of the employees there do care about animal welfare, and are just stuck with the resources and expectations they have put on them. We never had a chameleon in store because financially it didnt make sense for use to set up the proper enclosure, and they dont move well. It was entirely up to our reptile manager, so if you go there and talk to them directly, it could make a difference.

Just in my local PetSmart for crickets the other night. I always scan the animals in stock while I wait for my order to be filled. Couldn't find the veileds, till I looked at the very bottom, down on the floor!
Clearly, no one there knows NOT to put a cham on the lowest cage in the store. Very frustrating to see bad care, isn't it?

The PetCo, always has this huge bowl of standing water, big enough for 5 or 6 of them to swim. Wondering if that might be what they think they'll do......

You should email those pictures to corporate!

Hello FloydPakasloslo!

That's not a bad idea!

I've spoken to the manager at PetSmart, and they are still selling chameleons, but, I noticed that they don't have a replacement -- immediately if not sooner -- as soon as one is sold.

The same veiled chameleon (female) has been in the glass cage there, about 3 weeks now.

It appears as though she is cared for more appropriately than others I've witnessed.

I think I know more about husbandry than the employees.

I have switched to PetLand Discounts and find that they are better stocked, the employees are more educated, the store isn't overwhelmed with live pets, the store is spotless, and their prices make PetSmart look like a bunch of crooks!

Back
Top Bottom