1st project!

maxttu

This is an entertainment center that I'm going to convert into Maynard's new home! The taped off area will be cut out and replaced with screen. (It's not to scale but should be 2" in from all of the sides) The habitable area is exactly 48"! Who knew?? lol. I will leave the doors on and maybe put a bin in there to collect water. Any ideas on how to effectively do this?? The shelf you see towards the top will be cut out and have a ledge around for pinning vines, etc...I'll also be pulling the back panel off and thinking about placing a board approx 12" or so to help eliminate water splashing on the back wall. What do y'all think? Any suggestions?? Also, what is this boat sealant that I've heard about? Is there a product name and where can I get this stuff? Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• enclosure1.jpg
    enclosure1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 254
  • enclosure2.jpg
    enclosure2.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 224
  • enclosure3.jpg
    enclosure3.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 299
  • enclosure4.jpg
    enclosure4.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 234
  • enclosure5.jpg
    enclosure5.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 218
I would remove the shelf entirely. Its most likely particle board and will soak up water like a sponge once you expose the board. You can put horizontal cross members for vine/branch support. You can get marine varnish from home depot to seal it but a couple coats of polyurethane will work as long as you give it a couple weeks to completey dry. PM me and I can show you a drainage solution that might work well in your project.

I would remove the shelf entirely. Its most likely particle board and will soak up water like a sponge once you expose the board. You can put horizontal cross members for vine/branch support. You can get marine varnish from home depot to seal it but a couple coats of polyurethane will work as long as you give it a couple weeks to completey dry. PM me and I can show you a drainage solution that might work well in your project.

I was afraid that you'd say that! even with the sealant you think this would be true? PM is to follow this msg. Thanks!

What if I were to line the interior with AstroTurf? Has anybody attempted this? Any pros or cons?? Thanks!

i would remove the shelf also unless you were to put your lighting up there then make some kind of a door to keep your lights hidden then you would just need to cut holes in it for the light to go through

Off to a great start to a showpiece enclosure!! :) They are alot of work and its really alot cheaper and easier to just go out a get a cage... but it is much more rewarding and nicer in the end to have a real showpiece that is tailored to you specific pets needs when you build your own.

I too agree on taking out the shelf and getting the interior sealed. The cut out areas for the screen on the sides are very nice or you could also make them one long vertical side cut out (you can decide for sure after you see what you think about the separate screen areas. I would leave the back in as this will keep water from misting machines or humidifying units from getting too much dampness on your home wall. You can't beat the look a a faux rock wall. Took me many trials and errors and all summer until I finally succeeded in mine.... but well worth it in the end. That back will also help conceal the looks of electrical cords. I would probably screen the top so that you can add lighting to the outside for less chance of your baby getting burned. As far as the front goes... Just make framed front screen door that can be hinged to the front. Love the idea of keeping the bottom doors on for storage and draining area!!! Those are just my thoughts.

I have no doubt it will be beautiful in the end and you will love it!!!! :)

i would however, leave the shelving in there. hollow the center and raise it higher on the inside. attach aluminum screening to it, and there is your support for uvb & heat lights, as well as a sturdy fixture for mistking or aquazamp.

did this thing not come with a door? i would personally just make my own, all nice and custom, with a nice trim to add some depth to the front. i got to get back to work though, ill give some more input later on. :) looks great though. going to be a nice looking cage

i gotta go to the thrift store and start hunting for an entertainment center like this.
its looking great keep posting
i love to see the progress on custom cages

A couple of ideas I'd like to throw out for opinions:
1. AstroTurf cut out to line the interior (backwall and sides)
2. Corrugated plastic cut out (same areas)

Just trying to waterproof the enclosure. I will use water sealant but just wanted to add a lil something extra. Thoughts? Please and thanks!

I think I would go with the Astro Turf over the corrugated plastic... Just my opinion cosmetically. But also have you considered putting in a faux rockwall? I recently did that with an old cabinet and it is awesome in the end.

I think I would go with the Astro Turf over the corrugated plastic... Just my opinion cosmetically. But also have you considered putting in a faux rockwall? I recently did that with an old cabinet and it is awesome in the end.

That's sounds awesome. Any links or info on this rock wall?

You can search rockwall on youtube and see some different ways people did it. Its worth it in the end... but can be a real pain the first time. I did it a few different way until I ended up getting the effect I likes. In the end I found the white Styrofoam that flakes into little while balls be work the best for me. I also used the sand mortar mix for tile. It will flake off if you don't seal it after you used the mortar. Those are the products that worked best for me.

Also you can find some junk dressers, entertainment centers.... for free on the the curb for trash... pick them up and make a masterpiece!! :D

Back
Top Bottom