24x48x72 enclosure!

ChamEden

Hi guys

Just wanted to show off my new enclosure! Put a lot of time and effort into setting it up. Now all it needs is a cham! :D

I have an automatic mister set up with it. It mists every 4 hours for about a minute long. One mister nozzle on the upper portion of enclosure, and another for the lower level. It maintains perfect conditions constantly. There is not ONE time where the humidity dropped below 45 and the temp is constantly at 80-83.

This cage was very simple to build and cheap as well. Comment if you want a quick tutorial on how to build one!

I have three live pothos plants and one hibiscus on the bottom. Two hanging pothos and one set on a shelf. I used little zip ties to hold the plants from the top of the cage. The rest is the fake vines and branches from the pet store! The vines are each hooked onto more zip ties, making it very easy to set up and change things around.

Please comment, or if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• 20140714_162618.jpg
    20140714_162618.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 20140714_162650.jpg
    20140714_162650.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20140714_233853.jpg
    20140714_233853.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20140714_234659.jpg
    20140714_234659.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20140714_234717.jpg
    20140714_234717.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 181
Hi guys

Just wanted to show off my new enclosure! Put a lot of time and effort into setting it up. Now all it needs is a cham! :D

I have an automatic mister set up with it. It mists every 4 hours for about a minute long. One mister nozzle on the upper portion of enclosure, and another for the lower level. It maintains perfect conditions constantly. There is not ONE time where the humidity dropped below 45 and the temp is constantly at 80-83.

This cage was very simple to build and cheap as well. Comment if you want a quick tutorial on how to build one!

I have three live pothos plants and one hibiscus on the bottom. Two hanging pothos and one set on a shelf. I used little zip ties to hold the plants from the top of the cage. The rest is the fake vines and branches from the pet store! The vines are each hooked onto more zip ties, making it very easy to set up and change things around.

That looks GREAT! I'm looking forward to building my own cage for my little Veiled as well :) Where did you get your misting machine? How much was it?

This is the Monsoon Mist Machine. It is okay. It was about 90 dollars, and I wanted to try it out (I have the MistKing for a seperate cage). The MistKing is much better. for only about 20 bucks more online.

This is the Monsoon Mist Machine. It is okay. It was about 90 dollars, and I wanted to try it out (I have the MistKing for a seperate cage). The MistKing is much better. for only about 20 bucks more online.

Awesome. Thanks for that!!

Nice big cage! Will is just sit on the floor? It's best to have them sit up off the floor. What are you using for lighting? What about drainage? What's the Tupperware for around the bottom of the tree? That could collect water and grow bacteria or even worse your chameleon could drown. :eek: I'd recommend a few more traveling branched and have the feeder cut lower in the cage. What kind of wood is that and how will it hold up to tons of water?

Last edited:
Nice big cage! Will is just sit on the floor? It's best to have them sit up off the floor. What are you using for lighting? What about drainage? What's the Tupperware for around the bottom of the tree? That could collect water and grow bacteria or even worse your chameleon could drown. :eek: I'd recommend a few more traveling branched and have the feeder cut lower in the cage. What kind of wood is that and how will it hold up to tons of water?
Well everything kinda drips perfectly straight into the plant at the bottom. Idk I don't really have too many problems with the excess water being every whereand dripping all over the place. Unfortunately my ceiling is only about 8ft in this room and I can't really put it on top of anything elseThe Tupperware in the bottom is to catch drips, but it would get switched out daily like my other cage.for lighting I use a reptisun 5.0 bulb, abd also a 50w basking spot bulb. I was considering putting another fixture with a 5.0 bulb just cuz it's a bigger cage. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Well everything kinda drips perfectly straight into the plant at the bottom. Idk I don't really have too many problems with the excess water being every whereand dripping all over the place. Unfortunately my ceiling is only about 8ft in this room and I can't really put it on top of anything elseThe Tupperware in the bottom is to catch drips, but it would get switched out daily like my other cage.for lighting I use a reptisun 5.0 bulb, abd also a 50w basking spot bulb. I was considering putting another fixture with a 5.0 bulb just cuz it's a bigger cage. Let me know your thoughts on that.

I recommend a 10.0 for a cage that size. I guess two 5.0's might work. How long are your UVB lights?

Careful with the monsoon mister. I had one and it would condensate like that. It eventually fried it's own timing system and would mist randomly during the day without me knowing. Long story short, it gave my cham a RI and customer service didn't care, they just shipped me out a new mister..

Hi guys

Now when you say the temp is constantly 80-83 is it in the basking spot or all around?

The hibiscus will more than likely die without sunlight so have a back up plant to use and switch out with ( every week if possible)

The top of the cage looks like its made from galvanized steel? Which is made with zinc and could cause problems . I would recommend making a splitter to shorten up the cage if you are getting a young one. Its really easy to make and you probably have enough spare parts to make it

As stated above the higher the cage the better! Makes them feels more secure! Is the cage located near a ac vent?

The monsoon will be okay just as long as you take care of it properly , just like everything else cleaning it is key, and using distilled water will keep hoses from clogging

I would also add that more coverage is needed, so that way the cham can hide if need be.

The back wall seems to be plywood, do you plan on sealing the wood(all the wood) at all? Water and wood dont mix very well.

I successfully kept a hibiscus indoors, the trick is lots of light. I believe they want like 10,000 lumens or something.. Mine was going to the grave when I bought it so I added a third light (in addition to day bulb and uvb). It was a full spectrum fish tank light, as it was convenient and I couldn't find any 6500k at the moment, from then on everything that wasn't hidden from the light grew nice. I never had flower blossoms though.

I successfully kept a hibiscus indoors, the trick is lots of light. I believe they want like 10,000 lumens or something.. Mine was going to the grave when I bought it so I added a third light (in addition to day bulb and uvb). It was a full spectrum fish tank light, as it was convenient and I couldn't find any 6500k at the moment, from then on everything that wasn't hidden from the light grew nice. I never had flower blossoms though.

I have a hibiscus inside that wont bloom either, its lively and perky leaves, but never blooms.

Now when you say the temp is constantly 80-83 is it in the basking spot or all around?

The hibiscus will more than likely die without sunlight so have a back up plant to use and switch out with ( every week if possible)

The top of the cage looks like its made from galvanized steel? Which is made with zinc and could cause problems . I would recommend making a splitter to shorten up the cage if you are getting a young one. Its really easy to make and you probably have enough spare parts to make it

As stated above the higher the cage the better! Makes them feels more secure! Is the cage located near a ac vent?

The monsoon will be okay just as long as you take care of it properly , just like everything else cleaning it is key, and using distilled water will keep hoses from clogging

I would also add that more coverage is needed, so that way the cham can hide if need be.

The back wall seems to be plywood, do you plan on sealing the wood(all the wood) at all? Water and wood dont mix very well.
Oh yeah that hibiscus was outside for a few weeks I just put it in the cage when I built it. The top is aluminium steel btw, but I'd think that galvanized steel wouldn't be that bad. The only worry could be feeders possibly gathering zinc if they were crawling up there. Couldn't cup and hand feeding eliminate that problem?

Yeah definitely needs some more vines or something hanging down.

Jann I was wondering if I should go with the 10.0 or two 5.0s. I already have 2 up there now. Or is the 10.0 better? Not sure if it matters.

That splitter is a good idea though thank you for that!

Oh yeah that hibiscus was outside for a few weeks I just put it in the cage when I built it. The top is aluminium steel btw, but I'd think that galvanized steel wouldn't be that bad. The only worry could be feeders possibly gathering zinc if they were crawling up there. Couldn't cup and hand feeding eliminate that problem?

Yeah definitely needs some more vines or something hanging down.

Jann I was wondering if I should go with the 10.0 or two 5.0s. I already have 2 up there now. Or is the 10.0 better? Not sure if it matters.

That splitter is a good idea though thank you for that!

If you split the cage in half the 5.0 should work

And yes it can, but you would be surprised how crickets magically get out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/diy-living-wall-turtorial-pictures-129951/
You should make a living wall to cover up that plywood!

UPDATE: More foliage with new adjustment! I added a long shelf that thoroughly cuts off 2 ft of the cage. So now it is about 24x48x48! Here it is.
Jann the 5.0s are the smallest kinds you can get! About 5 to 6 inches. The larger ones u believe are 8 inches. However I do also have some extra long 5.0s if you prefer those.

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• 20140720_205423.jpg
    20140720_205423.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 20140720_205435.jpg
    20140720_205435.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 122
The plastic Tupperware on the bottom is to catch all of the drippage. When testing the mister I noticed all the drops from the leaves dropped exactly where the Tupperware is now. It will be rinsed out and dumped daily to prevent the poor cham from drowning. If for whatever reason he falls in the container I put a plant and some branches near by it to get out ! Ill be receiving one of janns babies soon. So I'll post updates with him too om the forums.

And just some more of where I added the shelf to cut off some height and of how the cham could escape the water holder! Like I said though it would be changed every day about every 6 hours or so and there wouldn't even be that much water in it anyway.

Attachments

• 1405917527118.jpg
    1405917527118.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 1405917570925.jpg
    1405917570925.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 92
  • 1405917619928.jpg
    1405917619928.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 1405917667380.jpg
    1405917667380.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 1405917952746.jpg
    1405917952746.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 118
Looks good in terms of foliage and different plants.

You need to figure out a way to drain the water out besides having that tubberware in there. What happens if your chameleon is on the very top of the plant and slips and falls and breaks a leg and is stuck in the tubberware? What happens if you forget to clean it one or two days and it's fairly full and it goes down there and drowns? I'm not saying that you will do this on purpose, but you need to consider every outcome to any situation.

What is on the bottom of the cage? Like what is the bottom made out of, wood?

Chase

Back
Top Bottom