3 month old ambilobe eating fertilizer

Arpeggi

i've got a youngster panther and a trellis vine that he climbs around on. this morning i watched him climb to the base of the plant and shot his tongue out a few times, & one of the times a fertilizer ball fell out of the plant. i'm not sure if he ingested any or not, but i'm suuuuuuper worried about the consequences.... any help?

My veiled always tries the same thing so I took some screen and cut it out to the shape of the planter. This way the plant soil can still breathe and cant be accidently/intentionally ingested.

Hello! Welcome to Chameleon Forums!

You have came to the right place to ask questions, and learn everything you may want to learn about chameleons. :)

You should not have any fertilizers in the cage, for this exact reason.

The repercussions could be minor, or deadly.

I would give him long rain showers, 20-30 min. at a time, for at least 3-4 days, to help flush it out of hi system.

You could cover the soil, but in my opinion the better option is to buy yourself an organic soil, and replant the plant in the new soil.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Again, welcome to Chameleon Forums, we really are glad that you are here. ;)

Hello! Welcome to Chameleon Forums!

You have came to the right place to ask questions, and learn everything you may want to learn about chameleons. :)

You should not have any fertilizers in the cage, for this exact reason.

The repercussions could be minor, or deadly.

I would give him long rain showers, 20-30 min. at a time, for at least 3-4 days, to help flush it out of hi system.

You could cover the soil, but in my opinion the better option is to buy yourself an organic soil, and replant the plant in the new soil.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Again, welcome to Chameleon Forums, we really are glad that you are here. ;)

Stan hit the nail on the head!! I transplant all my plants w/organic potting soil. I would recomend covering the soil with small flat river rocks(found at craft stores and pet stores) on any cham hunting in the plant soil.Good luck and welcome to the forums. were here to help!!

I would recomend covering the soil with small flat river rocks(found at craft stores and pet stores) on any cham hunting in the plant soil.

You don't need to cover fine soil with anything. Fine organic soil will not cause impactions as bark pieces, fertilizer, little stones or similar can. Just take a look at this thread. Only replace those fertilized soil with non-fertilized, that's it. In addition to this, you could add a little bowl with calzium (e.g. cuttlebone broken to tiny pieces) to her is cage. Some chameleons like to shoot minerals from the soil.

okay thank you guys so so much. i replaced the old soil with organic blood meal soil and have been misting him heavily via a humidifier. are there any symptoms i should look for in particular?

okay thank you guys so so much. i replaced the old soil with organic blood meal soil and have been misting him heavily via a humidifier. are there any symptoms i should look for in particular?

Eyes closed during the day, obvious lethargy.

Any dramatic changes really.

You may want to fill out the "How to ask for help" form, and see if there are any other aspects of your husbandry that need "tweaking".

Also, if you start to suspect an issue with him, youll want to fill out the form. The form will give everyone an idea of how the animal is/has been kept, so they can offer advice. Its good to be aware of the form in general in case you suspect an issue. ;)

Here is the form, simply copy and paste it, then add in your info. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Back
Top Bottom