6 Month Old Male Veiled Chameleon Problems

Belaris

Hi all

my 6 month old Veiled Male which we got on Saturday with full set up has not been eating at all since then. He was just sitting under the basking light but has now moved away from the light and has been there ever since yesterday.

The setup is a 36x18x18 inches reptibreeze with a D3 arcadia basking/uv light 100w

pics below

any help as to his not eating and why he has moved away from the basking light would be great, he is also shedding and we were told that was why he wasn't eating, tried feeding him mealworms yesterday but wasn't interested. He did lick some water droplets from the side if the viv yesterday so he was drinking and that was the first time he did that since Saturday. The viv is beside patio doors could that be stressing him as there is a lot going on outside that he can see?

thanks in advance

Gary

Attachments

• chameleon colouration.jpg
    chameleon colouration.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 223
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 583
  • hiding.jpg
    hiding.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 237
Hes probably not eating due to two main things.

1- he's in a new environment.
2- you have almost NO cover for him.

Chams dont like to be seen, so the fact that you have almost nothing in the top and middle of your cage, could be stressing him out.

try adding some plants, like schefferlara, and pothos to the top and middle sections, then see how he does.

I agree, you need a lot more horizontal branches and foliage to fill up that empty space.
Chams will stress if they feel exposed and unable to hide behind stuff, and even more so when they are in a new place.
Chams hate change, they need to fully acclimated themselves to new invironments and may not eat or drink until they feel secure.

He is new to his home, and to you, he does not know that you are not a preditor yet.

It's recommended to leave him alone for a few weeks. Do not attemp to touch or even get your hand near him.
A giant hand reaching into the cage will be considered a threat, and he may feel cornered and helpless, hence the hissing, gapping, defensive behaviour.

I would either cup feed, or let the cricks loose for hime to hunt.

I would also avoid taking flash photos up close for a while.

Give him his space and privacy and you will know when he is starting to feel more confident because he will spend more time up front in full view, and not back away when you come near.

Patience, and more patience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom