New To Chameleons - Adopting a Previously Sunburnt Male Veiled.

I understand the silver as it has antimicrobial properties and is often used in wound care. I don’t understand the fogging with F10. Wouldn’t that have gotten into his lungs? How could that be very safe? I’m under the impression that it’s safe for contact with animals and us only once it’s dried.
F10 is recommending on-label for fogging for issues such as respiratory fungal and bacterial disease at least in birds-although I don't think I would do it. But I agree with you, I don't see any way it would be indicted for thermal burns. Unless the vet saw or suspected an RI as well.

As the owner of an ever living cockatiel (its 22 years old), i can say chameleons and small lizards(beardies) HATE IT. You get instant poofs from across the room even if the bird is minding its own business.
That's so interesting! My beardie couldn't have cared less about my 'tiel when she was still around! They will be housed on seperate floors.

Hi there, quite an undertaking you are taking on. I have experience with burns and the one thing I can tell you is chameleons take a long time to heal. Because they molt, the surface heals fast, but below, as Beman said, does not. Just show the original.pics to the vet so he is aware of how bad it was. First off, the housing fir your badking bulb shoukd have abdimmer switch on it. That will resolve all of the problems of it being too hot for a burnt baby till you know what and when full heat is best. I like splashproof bulbs, 75 watt, as thet last a long time and wont break if hit with water. The dimmer switch wull let you keep it low if its too steong at first. If not, start with a 50 watt and keeo the basking branches spot about 8 inches from the screen. A good vine to get is bend a branch from flukers farms which you can get on amazon for real cheap. I would get large and medium sizes. They are perfect for his feet to wrap around to climb. Get yourself an assortment of 500 to 1000 zip ties of all sizes. You will need them. also cut the excess of and melt it with a lighter so there are no sharp edges. I put 1/2 inch strips of wooden molding and screwed them to the inside of the frame after it was assembled so i could build a jungle gym for my boy. latice works but feeders tend to hide behind them. Do dont go all the way to the top if you use that. Crickets go for the lifht and heat. It worked but i always wished i had gone with the dragon ledges even though they are expensive. whatever you do, dont buy a kit unless its through here. Most of the stuff is not cham friendly. Also look on here or the internet for a list of chameleon safe plants. There are many plants that are poisoness to them. Get calcuim without D3 and a mutivitamin, reptivite, with D3. Your feeders get dusted daily with calcuim and twice a month vitamins, 1st and 15th. This is a tried schedule so dont listen to other instructions as they are outdated. remember, having a pet that eats live food means you have to take care of the live food too. This can get expensive Unless you learn how to grow your own. Another challenge. they are amazing creatures and you can just fall in love
Thank you so much for all the info!
Thankfully, I've had 2 sick beardies before, so sick reptiles aren't completely new to me, and the bugs aren't a problem - we have an affordable farm about 45 min from us here in SK.
I will be in contact with a vet in my area this week to see if they can take a look at him once he comes home!
I have access to many dried/washed branches from my family member who is housing him currently as she makes bird stands, so I plan to use the "Neptune approach" to mount all my plants and sticks. I sadly can't get Dragon Ledges here in Canada, so I will do with what I have :)
I plan on building the Neptune kit as well, but with things from a local exotics store.
Thank you again for the information! This community is so wonderful and welcoming!

Your Chameleon - The species:  veiled, sex:  male and age of your chameleon: about 1 year. How long has it been in your care? will be picking up in July
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I believe he's being handled at least monthly, if not more.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? will eat hornworms, crickets, superworms.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? unknown what brand he is on, but his food is dusted with calcium (no d) every day and "multi vitamins" once a week.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I know he has a fogger at night and is misted twice a day.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. uknown Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?  unknown
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
he was incorrectly set up at a pet store and his back got severely sunburnt. He's healed now, but he isn't in the best set-up still.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? currently in a glass 18 by 18 by 24 inches (i think, I only have a picture) (I'd like to get him into a hybrid 2x2x4foot enclosure [affordability] asap)
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? currently he's under a red basking bulb and a singular uvb bulb (I know it's bad, I plan on getting him under a white basking bulb with strip uvb and led lighting for the plants for when he comes home)
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? unknown
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? He's fogged at night and misted by hand thoughout the day, there might also be a dripper, hard to tell. (I'd like to keep a fogger for nighttime, use a hand mister as often as needed (2-4 times a day) until I can afford a mistking, and get a dripper.)
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? he's currently in with plastic plants (I plan on putting him in with neon, marble queen, jade, and/or golden pothos, umbrella tree, hoya, and possibly a transcendia[opinions?]) I'd also like to set him up with multiple thin, natural branches, as he currently does not have those.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? I'd like to set him on a 4 foot high dresser so he's near the top of the room (we're quite tall)
Location - Where are you geographically located? Saskatchewan, Canada

Questions:
I will be adopting this guy from a family member in July, he was gotten from a petstore as a rescue, and they're fostering him until I can get to them. He was pretty badly sunburnt but is apparently healed up now.
Every last piece of info that I have about him so far is in this post. I didn't get much from my family member.
I'd like to know what Canadian-available things you'd recommend for him in an affordable price range (all my extra money is going towards him).
Would you recommend a lower than normal basking branch due to his burns?
Can I put a grape Ivy in with him?
what gutloading foods would you recommend as well as supplements? My city only has a petsmart, but I'm not opposed to ordering off a website if they ship to Canada.
Is it dangerous to have him be near my cockatiel? I don't plan on ever having them out together, but would the bird stress him out on a roadtrip (6 hours) if he's covered?

I've been watching The Chameleon Academy and Neptune the Chameleon videos as well as reading as much as I can, but I'm concerned that because of his burn and where we are that he might need something different.

Thanks in advance!
Update for everyone following - his name is Nort!

The silver treatments are somewhat controversial. My vet treated burns and some wounds with silver sulfadiazine….but never used colloidal silver. I don’t remember antibiotics ever being prescribed along with the silver cream.

You might like to read these…but be aware that some are concerning humans..

In infected wounds, silver is beneficial for the first few days/weeks, after which nonsilver dressings should be used instead. For clean wounds and closed surgical incisions, silver confers no benefit. The ideal silver formulations are nanocrystalline silver and silver-coated polyurethane sponge for negative-pressure wound therapy. Silver sulfadiazine impairs wound healing. Proper use of silver-containing dressings is essential to optimize wound healing.”…
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6756674/

“Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by destroying proteins, which is why it was previously used in wound dressings.”…
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-779/colloidal-silver

Back
Top Bottom