Accidental Silkworm breeding project

Put Her in a paper towel roll or you will be picking eggs off of EVERYTHING. And if you didnt know, yellow = duds, blues/greys = healthy babies.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'put her in a paper towel roll'... Can you elaborate a bit?

I think that person is trying to say is keep your moth inside a paper towel roll and close the sides so she will just be laying eggs in that one space. Not sure tho.

Yup. She is going to fire out about enough eggs to cover a postage stamp. And they are going to be glued to whatever she lays them on. I either put them in a box full of tissue paper or paper towels (so i can just tear pieces off) or put her in a paper towel roll and seal the ends so she cant get out.

moribabiesime.jpg

Wow I thought it would have taken longer for the moth to lay her eggs.

She started laying eggs as soon as I isolated her from the 3 males she's currently being housed with; which leads me to believe they were ganging up on her - Poor little thing!

I estimate there are roughly 250 - 300 eggs in total! (y)

From what I've read, she's probably done laying eggs now... So, I'll introduce her to my Cham tomorrow - "Nom, nom, nom!"

Now you got me interested in silks. I was thinking real hard about em but SOOOO many people say they are hard to take care of and die off easily. Now how do the eggs go about hatching? Don't you have to chill them in a fridge and give them a tad bit of humidity for a while before you can hatch em out? How's that work? Neat little moths for sure.

Back
Top Bottom