Acting like he wants OUT!

ThumbsChameleon

Thumbs is a seven month old veiled Cham. He has the typical temperament of a veiled; he puffs up when I get too close and acts like he hates me. Back when he was three months old, I tried to take him out of his enclosure to clean it and he hissed at me. Needless to say, I haven't tried even touching him since. In all honesty I'm afraid of him lol. Now that he's seven months, he has claws and I don't want to mess with that!
Anyways for the past few days, when I open his enclosure to mist or feed him, he comes full speed to the front like he wants out. I instantly shut the door. Is he being aggressive? Should I put on my big girl pants and extend my hand? Thoughts?

Put on your big pants and see what he does, may surprise you and crawl all over you. Thats what my little man does.

Thumbs is a seven month old veiled Cham. He has the typical temperament of a veiled; he puffs up when I get too close and acts like he hates me. Back when he was three months old, I tried to take him out of his enclosure to clean it and he hissed at me. Needless to say, I haven't tried even touching him since. In all honesty I'm afraid of him lol. Now that he's seven months, he has claws and I don't want to mess with that!
Anyways for the past few days, when I open his enclosure to mist or feed him, he comes full speed to the front like he wants out. I instantly shut the door. Is he being aggressive? Should I put on my big girl pants and extend my hand? Thoughts?

My veiled is about 4 months old, and he can have a temper at times, but I do everything on his terms.
Do you hand feed him at all? That's a great way to start if you haven't tried it yet.

I started hand feeding him and luring him onto my hand and now when he wants out he walks on the branch closest to my bed back and fourth until I give in.

The more you work with him and get him out with social interactions with you the more comfortable he will be with you.

If he ventures out on your hand , treat him to a special treat like a nice juicy bug, some sunlight, or a free range spot where he can explore all around

I cup feed and leaf feed (put bug on a stray leaf and he eats it from there). I tried hand feeding him for months but he wasn't having it. If he does decide to bite me is it like finger losing strength or just a few drops of blood? I'm trying to make my hubby be the guinea pig but I think he secretly is just as scared as I am haha

Look at it from his perspective: He is a nervous lizard, grumpy by nature, always on the lookout for predators, food, and ladies. He lives in a small box. This might be okay until one day a giant naked ape stuffs its big face and hands into the box! Nowhere to go! Fight or flight are the only options. Hiss! Gape! Sway! Bite! You retreat, proving that his threat display is effective at deterring predators. Next time, he knows exactly what to do.

You may find that once outside of his enclosure, his temperament may mellow - he will be outside his "personal" space and may not feel so trapped. If he acts like he wants out, let him out to explore. If you are nervous of handling him directly, get a stick that you can use as transport or hang a fake vine from his cage to the floor and let him come out on his own.

Definitely treat him to extra special bugs or maybe a special fruit when he comes to you without aggression. With some patience, he will start to associate you with good things like treats and free range time. My Jax (in all fairness, Jacksons typically are much more mellow than veileds) loves to free range and will sit and beg at the door. He will climb right on you and expects you to carry him to his favorite places.

One of our members, Psychobunny, has a great post on taming chameleons:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/taming-chameleon-97352/

JannB also has a lot of really great advice on veileds. She swears up and down hers are all babydolls.

I have been bite by our Veiled's a number of times, it has only drawn blood once. I think a leopard geckos bite is worse. Our guys are very territorial, and most of the time we open the cage and let them venture out on there own and then approach, but when we have to get them out by hand for cleaning or transport they typically talk a big game but usually do nothing once we get up under them to assist them out. Once out even our meanest little guys are some what tame, they mellow out and enjoy exploring or hand feeding. I have found it easiest to just come up under the chin and slowly raise up urging them to step onto my hand. If your scared you can always wear a glove the first few times. But I would say open the cage and give him time to venture out, once out try to come up under him and lift him up, he may hiss loudly and strike, but should calm down very quickly.

And "giant naked ape!" Lathis, your response gave me a good laugh.

Back
Top Bottom