Adopted Chameleon! 1 year old

torhne

I adopted an awesome Veiled chameleon, i have been researching them, for literally years, i have had bearded dragons, and snakes, chinchillas, rats, hamsters, cats, blah blah blah blah, i think the only one that i didnt like was the snake, just not my thing haha... So, I have quite a bit of experience with reptiles, and animals in general, and I know what goes into taking care of chameleons, so i made the fall and got this 1 year old that a mom and her kids didnt have the time for, hes super healthy, she knew exactly what was needed for him, had all of his supplements and lights, he really was taken good care of.

so anyway, i have had him for about a week now, she said she was feeding him every other day, i havent been... lol.. i feed him daily because hes awesome lol. so he eats out of my hand, kind of depending on how hungry he is at the time.
I havent tried to pick him up, buteventually iw ould want him to be able to be handled by me, he has hissed 2 times at me when i got to close, giving him a superworm.

ANYWAY! the lady thati had got him from said he will hiss, but just go for it and he wont bite, said he has bitten before, but the hiss is just showing whos boss. Has anyone had to deal with this before? like i said, im so new to chameleons, just trying to find some encouragement or words of advice, i dont plan on handling him for at least another week or so, just so he can be 100% used to new enviroment.

and, he is eating extremely well, 5-6 large crickets a day, all dusted. she had his feeding schedule wrote on teh top of the supplements, which helped not throw him off. giving him 3x daily mistings, i have to buy a fogger next time i get paid, and i think his main 18" light might be on its last legs. she said it was a few months old. what is the best way to check this? i dont have a digital thermometer, just an analog one, his basking temps are about 80-85 and nighttime is about 70ish

you dont want to just go for it. that will teach him not to trust you. slowly keep hand feeding him dont invade his privacy and eventually you will be able to coax him out.

Personally i'd save your money on the fogger & get a new bulb instead, especially if it's his uv source.
Yemen chameleons are notorious for not taking to being handled, even from a young age. Some will tame down & others will not, no matter what you try. Best to start off getting him used to hand feeding, then slowly attempt to get him to climb on your hand, of his own free will. In my experience, any forced handling, especially with adult/sub adult veiled's, usually only results in either a really aggressive animal or a very stressed one. Or both.

for sure, i knew they didnt like to be handled much, but the lady that i got him from said he just liked to show he was boss and hiss, and when he was out he was fine. so im hoping thats true haha. but if not, i am totally ok with him being an art pet, im working on going to all natural plants in his habitat, hibiscus and... forgot the name, but there was another nice one, would eventually like to get him to free range if i get everything set up right, but thats kind of a long term goal right now... justtrying to get him used to home and make sure he doesnt die on me or something crazy. i will get another bulb this week for sure, i should probably just order a nice one off amazon

In my opinion, that is how that cham will always be. I have a Fischer's cham and a female veiled, the veiled is extremely aggressive, it does not recognize help, appreciation, or has the ability to trust..despite what others say. Maybe breed, genetics? The Fischer's is very nice, easy going laid back.

My veiled will make you bleed.

It's infinitely better to have your chameleon want to come onto your hand. You never want to grab him. If he's not showing signs of aggression, but is just kind of turning away a little bit, you can try to get your hands under his feet. Then it feels a little bit like more of a choice to him. If he REALLY doesn't want to come out, leave him be.

Back
Top Bottom