Advice for Jackson's Chameleon

My_Chameleon

Hi everyone!

I first want to express my gratitude for this group of chameleon owners. I got my first chameleon/Jackson's Chameleon, Loki, in April and he had a prolapse almost immediately after bringing him home. I came here and I got a lot of helpful advice and very kind comments. Loki was put on probiotics for a week and I am ecstatic to say that he has recovered (the vet checked too) and is doing great!

Anyway, two months later he is now shedding, which apparently means he's now a juvenile. He's eating well, his color is good, he's active, and he's getting a little more comfortable with my presence.

But, I need some advice! When I bought Loki, I researched places to buy crickets and worms and I found this well-recommended reptile shop. However, I noticed that they keep their heat and fogger on all day, 24/7. Ironically, this was the same advice I was given for Loki when I first got him. However, I recently saw a video from the YouTuber, Neptune the Chameleon (I linked the video below) that gave the exact opposite advice. She essentially said that it's a common mistake for new keepers to have their humidity on during high-temperature points of the day and that they should stay in complete darkness during nighttime. This would make sense because you want to replicate the same environment that they would have in their natural habitat. She said that the humidity + high temperature can lead to respiratory problems. Naturally, I did a lot more research and I found a video from Bill Strand, Chameleon Academy Spokesman, (also linked below) who said the same thing. Additionally, Petr Necas, an experienced chameleon shared similar thoughts (linked below).

So, what I am asking is what do you guys do in terms of foggers/heat during the nighttime? These humid/cold nights (50-65 degrees F) seem to work great and he seems to be doing well with it. Let me know what you guys advise. As always, I appreciate any feedback :)

Video Links:
Neptune the Chameleon:

Bill Strand: [Start Video at 3:44 where he talks about warm nights]
Petr Necas:
[Start video at 5:09 where he talks about humidity + temp]

Loki #1.jpg
Loki #2.jpg
Loki #3.jpg

So, what I am asking is what do you guys do in terms of foggers/heat during the nighttime? These humid/cold nights (50-65 degrees F) seem to work great and he seems to be doing well with it. Let me know what you guys advise. As always, I appreciate any feedback :)
What you're doing is THE way to do it. Fogging at night works perfect for me as well and maybe only once a week I can notice my xanth drink from the misting, while his urates almost completely white. During the night your temps are perfect, the colder (50-55) the better, but min 10 degrees difference between day and night temps is a minimum requirement. During the day I only use a heat light in morning for 3 hours and that's it. Doing this for 3 years and no issues so far. Completely dark at night is also recommended, now during summertime and early lights entering the room, wakes my chams hours (2 hours) before lights turn on. Therefore they will react towards lights and if the room isn't dark for many hours in row, it means they won't sleep enough. Same with too high temps. This will cause health issues in the long term, because they can't recuperate during their sleep.

Keep on doing with what you're doing and great to hear is doing well. He's a little cutie

Ohhh.....and no fogging during the day, only at night when the temps are low. I'm fogging between 11.00pm and 06.00am, for 15 mins every hour.
This to prevent RI and let the enclosure dry out during the day. Constant wet surfaces will also cause sores on their feet.

Those tiny little horns just get me every single time. Squee! 🤗 If I can ever manage to move somewhere cooler, I am so definitely having to get a Jackson’s.
I know I love his horns! They've definitely grown in and got bigger since he shed! He's a really cool breed of chameleon. The Bill Stand video that I linked also talks about his natural habitat and the sub-species of Jackson's, which I found fascinating!

Ohhh.....and no fogging during the day, only at night when the temps are low. I'm fogging between 11.00pm and 06.00am, for 15 mins every hour.
This to prevent RI and let the enclosure dry out during the day. Constant wet surfaces will also cause sores on their feet.
I'm really glad you mentioned that because a few people recommend misting the leaves and such, to provide drinking opportunities. I have a dripper that drips water off multiple plant leaves and I've seen him drink from it before. But, I tried the misting: the recommended time was in the morning 30 mins before the lights turn on and 30 mins after the lights were off at night.

What you're doing is THE way to do it. Fogging at night works perfect for me as well and maybe only once a week I can notice my xanth drink from the misting, while his urates almost completely white. During the night your temps are perfect, the colder (50-55) the better, but min 10 degrees difference between day and night temps is a minimum requirement. During the day I only use a heat light in morning for 3 hours and that's it. Doing this for 3 years and no issues so far. Completely dark at night is also recommended, now during summertime and early lights entering the room, wakes my chams hours (2 hours) before lights turn on. Therefore they will react towards lights and if the room isn't dark for many hours in row, it means they won't sleep enough. Same with too high temps. This will cause health issues in the long term, because they can't recuperate during their sleep.

Keep on doing with what you're doing and great to hear is doing well. He's a little cutie
This is so helpful! When it comes to RI, I know that it takes a while for things to build and I wouldn't see the effects until it's too late. I will definitely keep an eye out for the light from windows because the second I turn on the light he's up and at 'em and it sometimes makes me worry about how much he's slept. As for the 3 hours of the heat lamp, I do about the same. I notice that with the heat of the day, his basking temp rises to 83-84 and I turn it off. I imagine in the winter I will leave it on for longer?

I'm really glad you mentioned that because a few people recommend misting the leaves and such, to provide drinking opportunities. I have a dripper that drips water off multiple plant leaves and I've seen him drink from it before. But, I tried the misting: the recommended time was in the morning 30 mins before the lights turn on and 30 mins after the lights were off at night.
Misting and fogging are different. Fogging is more vapor, like a cold steam if that makes sense. Misting is like spraying fine droplets. Of course, dripping is just that. 😂 So you will want to mist for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and some say after they go off, but I prefer to mist before lights are off, so my chams are awake and can drink. This combined with fogging at night should be all the hydration needed. However, if you are seeing a lot of dark or orange urates, that is when you’d want to add the dripper for about 20-30 minutes daily. The goal is to hydrate your chameleon while giving the enclosure time to dry out in between and maintain optimal humidity levels during the day.

Can also agree with @MissSkittles addition on misting. I also mist 2 mins twice a day and 30 mins after lights are on and 30 mins before the lights go off, this goes paired with 2 min before uvb goes on or off and 30 min later the plant lights turn off

This is so helpful! When it comes to RI, I know that it takes a while for things to build and I wouldn't see the effects until it's too late. I will definitely keep an eye out for the light from windows because the second I turn on the light he's up and at 'em and it sometimes makes me worry about how much he's slept. As for the 3 hours of the heat lamp, I do about the same. I notice that with the heat of the day, his basking temp rises to 83-84 and I turn it off. I imagine in the winter I will leave it on for longer?
Depends on the room, but mostly I leave them 4-5 hours on during winter time. 83-84 is already on the warm side for an Jackson. As long as he isn’t extreme bright or having his mouth open, you’re still okay. But max 3 hours, should be fine as well

Back
Top Bottom