Advice on night time temperatures?

TortoiseAvenger

I've heard it's acceptable for the chameleons to be lowered into a temperature of around the mid 60s or so at night. Do they still need a heat source if I do this? Or since they're sleeping are the mid-sixties okay?

That should be safe for any species I am aware of. no heat source should be necessary at those temps.
I keep panthers down to 50 and veileds down to 40 at night with no problems.

Depends on the species and age on how low is too low - but if your house doesn't go below 60 at night you shouldn't need a heat source at night.

They are panthers. I just got them. I was concerned because this morning my guy was really dark and clearly trying to warm up.

That's a normal part of being a chameleon. Will turn dark and flatten out like a solar panel and heat up first thing in the morning.

Depends on the species and age on how low is too low

Species yes but down to 50 has been safe for any species I've ever kept or heard of. Some can go even cooler, not panthers.

Age not so much a concern- I've had many baby panthers hatch in spring and fall when night temps are right at 50 and they always did just fine kept that low at night from day 1, just like their parents at the time...

Mid 60s is very very safe at night. In fact you want that night temperature drop as it slows the metabolism and allows for a deeper rest state.

I'm glad to hear that age doesn't matter - I know my Jackson is more active and eats better the next day when the temps are lower at night - the panther doesn't move about as quickly in the am when it gets colder - I was worried about my new flapneck as he's just a baby -

Back
Top Bottom