advise please

tigger

Hi
we inherited a female panther who's tail has gone threw a nasty bit.
we were told that she had gone threw her laying phase and right after did her shed and when it was finished her tail was not looking good.
we have got rid of the infection but there is a lot of it that looks dead.
i dont know what to do as our vet is gone on holidays for 3 weeks.
should we cut the dead part off, will it fall off on its own or??????
i have included a pic.
any advise would be of great help
thanks.
glen

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 144
I would find another vet and get it removed before infection sets in again.

DO NOT cut it off. dont do anything, if its not completely dead, you will end up with a bloody stump, not going to be fun.

poor lil girl... does the white section curl, move, etc... or is it just limp?

Yeah, find another vet and see what they can do. The dead part will need to be removed by the vet. Dont do it yourself, that is a terrible mess waiting to happen.

DEFINITELY needs to be amputated. I had the same issue with my male, he has a stump now but the gangreen was the worst to fight off because it spreads so easily. They will really need to be thorough in the removal because leaving even a little can result in it spreading to her whole body.

a tail amputation should cost you no more than $200, mine was $145

no the white part of the tail is completely stiff and does not move.
thanks for all your advise.
i will try to find another vet that knows about reptiles.

the may not need experience in herps.

As its a fairly routine looking amputation, most vets could handle that.

the may not need experience in herps.

As its a fairly routine looking amputation, most vets could handle that.

Mine thought his tail would just snap off like a gecko's :mad: he almost bled out and died. So I do believe chameleon or at least extensive knowledge of reptiles is necessary.

and the vet I went to said she knows reptiles too! but no way will I ever bring anything to her again. She also blinded my ball python :mad:

Well you stil have to see a competent vet. ANd Im not saying that ANY vet will work, some herp knowledge is needed. But if they cant find a vet with cham experience,, you have to look outside the box.

My veiled had an infected casque. Once the infection had cleared, as the vet predicted, it sloughed off by itself. Would an infected tail do the same? I am not giving advice, I still feel like a very inexperienced chameleon keeper, maybe someone who knows could clarify this.

Back
Top Bottom