Ambanja??

This is being marketed in our area as an Ambanja panther cham. What do you guys think?

ambanjamale1.jpg

Last edited:
Andapa is a city very close to Sambava. They are pretty much the same thing, Andapa is a little more in the mountains but I don't know if an expert chamelleonaire would know the differents just by appearance...whoknows

-chris

Here is another photo of him, in his other colors. Have not seen the guy in person, though. Did think Sambava, because of the orange and red, and the "U".

ambanjamale1b.jpg

Last edited:
100% Sambava

Ditto... It's clearly a Sambava. There's not enough Andapas floating around for someone that clueless to have their hands on one. I think Helen Keller could figure out that it's a Sambava, it's basically the definition of a Sambava. I fail to see how in the world that could be called a hybrid.

Just out of curiosity, how can anyone say it is 100% ANY locality without any collection data or knowledge of it's lineage?

While I agree that it looks to have some Sambava-type qualities, you don't usually see the red pattern along the spine that this one has in Sambavas. Ambanja? No. But this animal does look somewhat similar to one of my old holdbacks that was wc Ambanja x wc supposed to be Ambanja female.

Are you guys still considering him gesang? Or have you decided not to?

We had some heartbreak last month with the loss of part of a group of captive bred non-panther chams and backed away from the local panther offer. Now that we've had some time to lick our wounds, and we see that the local panthers are still available, we are interested again. But, from the beginning, I had my doubts about the origin of certain of his panthers, and so I thought I'd check with the experts (as our experience with panthers has been limited to several wonderful Sambavas, and a great morph cross from the Kammers).

Oh, and I just watched a video some friends took in Sambava, at the beach. The pardalis there look NOTHING like what we call Sambava-types in the US. They were very light, pale shades of red, green, and chartreuse. Food for thought. When two of these big males were presented to each other, they did not turn solid orange.

Just out of curiosity, how can anyone say it is 100% ANY locality without any collection data or knowledge of it's lineage?

I'm glad someone here is educated. I don't give a darn how many "pure" sambava or ambanjas you have seen in your life, you can't tell by looking at an animal if it's pure. I've said this before and I'll use the same example again:

My wife is 1/4 black. She has white skin, blue eyes, and blondish hair. You could absolutely in no way tell that she had "african genes" in her just by looking at her. If you couldn't tell the "locale" of a human (your own species) what makes you guys think you can tell the complete genetic makeup of a chameleon by looking at?

This "100% sambava" BS by you so-called experts makes me wonder if you've ever taken a biology class.

You might be able to tell that there is sambava in it, or even that its mostly sambava, but you sure as hell can't tell just by looking at its skin color and pattern if there is other stuff mixed in there too.

Oh, and the word "hybrid" keeps getting thrown around as if you were talking about mating 2 different species together. The word you guys are looking for is "integrade" for animal of mixed locales.

Thanks, :rolleyes:

Joe Farah

Back
Top Bottom