Are veild chameleons aggressive?

JessicaBay

i read online that veild chameleons are more aggressive than other breeds... is this true? who should i trust?

Hi Jessica, it is true that in general Veileds are known as being a bit more aggressive than other kinds of Chameleon, but most of them will be tolerant of people that bring them food :)
They are usually only aggressive if you surprise and scare them, most chameleons don't like to be played with (some exceptions, even some Veileds are 'friendly')
Here is a great caresheet with all the basic info you and your parents will need if you get one - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Don't forget, all animals can be a bit mean sometimes - even cats will hiss and bite and scratch if you pester them too much :)

Welcome to the forums Jessica. If you are thinking about getting a chameleon you have come to the right place to do your research. I keep veileds and have never had one show any aggression at all but I free range all my animals and I'm very hands on with them. I think if you take a chameleon of any kind and stick it in a cage and put it in an out of the way place where it never sees people and you never interact with it then the chances are you might have a very aggressive chameleon.

I think it really depends on the cham.
I have 5 chams.
two are veileds, one male, on female.

the female is very sweet (cept for right now because she is gravid)

and my male, has mood swings.
Some days hes cool with hanging out with me, other days hes a bit grumpy, and some days he hates me.

I think.. chams are not the cuddling animal. but they can still be very entertainig.

Chameleons can and will recognize there keeper especially cause u bring him food and treats. If u use proper husbandry and don't over handle him he should be great for you. But they alll have bad days! Lol ;) start with a captive bred Male. so u don't have to deal with egg laying on your first cham

I have had 3 Veileds and one Jackson. My first Veiled was a female and she lived her first 6 months in the reptile shop. She was used to seeing lots of people, being hand fed and handles regularly. As a result she was the sweetest girl and loved to bit out with me. It also has a lot to do with the individual chameleon's disposition too though. Take my male, for instance, he spent the first two years of his life being sold and passed through 4 different houses and owners. Even after all the adjusting he he had to do with every move and having bitten the owner before me, he was the sweetest boy in the word. I was his fifth owner and he never once hissed at me or tried to bite me. He did head butt often as he got older and his health deteriorated, but it was only a warning head butt that he wanted to be left alone. He would still often 'ask' to come out of his viv.

Amy, was the only Veiled that I got as a baby and she took a lot more work to so that she was comfortable with me and with coming out of her viv. She also never hissed or tried to bite. I got her at 3 months old and she was so tiny, all eyeball and stick legs, lol, but after a few days she accepted food from my hand and I took things from there. You have to respect their space and their wishes (they will make it known when they don't want to interact with you).

Monty, my little Jackson is also a complete joy. He hand fed almost straight away too - this is a great way to get them used to you and to associate you with good things, such as food, and eventually going outside for some sunshine.

Chameleons are very individual animals who definitely have "personalities". They're very similar to birds in this manner, imo.

HOWEVER that being said, a calm, non-aggressive Veiled chameleon is the exception rather than the rule. Even males can be quite calm, hand feed, and tolerate handling well until they are 6-8 months old. After that, most Veileds become aggressive. Most will hiss and headbutt, and some will bite. Hardly any of them will respond well to hand feeding or handling.

With Veiled chameleons, we as keepers are lucky that they do not come with talons and sharper teeth.

My male veiled Karma is otherwise known as Mr Grumpy. He headbutts, hisses and puffs up on a daily basis but I love him all the same. I respect that he does not wish to be handled and enjoy watching him going about his daily business in his vivarium. He is so cool and I love him :)

Chameleons aren't children in colourful costumes

I think if you take a chameleon of any kind and stick it in a cage and put it in an out of the way place where it never sees people and you never interact with it then the chances are you might have a very aggressive chameleon.

I absolutely disagree! Most species are, by nature, incredibly shy and plopping them onto a tree in my living room is not suddenly going to make them happy, outgoing and friendly. In fact it will do the complete opposite and they will die from complications from stress in short order. Many types of chameleons require very specific temperatures, water and humidity levels to remain healthy and that is just not possible to do in an open setting like a family room. Sure both and Veileds and Panthers have adapted to life in captivity but it certainly doesn’t mean they are thriving in it if their basic natural means aren’t met.

How many threads have we seen where people have lost their chameleons out of a free range only to be found eaten or dismembered by another household pet? Stepped on? Or gone completely? Even more threads exist about cute calyptratus babies hitting sexual maturity and suddenly becoming aggressive overnight. (Yes even the free ranging ones).

I do not free range my chameleons but I do try to keep an open mind about it. Some daily free ranging can add some enrichment for some friendlier species (Panthers, Mellers) and some individual specimens but not all of them.

To the OP: Veileds are by nature belligerent and hostile. If you are looking for a pet that you can interact with there are better reptiles for the first timer than a chameleon but if that is what you want then I suggest a Panther or a Jacksons.

HOWEVER that being said, a calm, non-aggressive Veiled chameleon is the exception rather than the rule. Even males can be quite calm, hand feed, and tolerate handling well until they are 6-8 months old. After that, most Veileds become aggressive. Most will hiss and headbutt, and some will bite. Hardly any of them will respond well to hand feeding or handling.

With Veiled chameleons, we as keepers are lucky that they do not come with talons and sharper teeth.

Well said.

O.O

I really hope my Pepito doesn't do this. He's a Florida WC, and i'm guessing he's about 8 months.... I'll just sit in a corner and cry if he pulls that on me.

good veiled/bad veiled

I think veileds have a natural tendency to stay away from people regardless if they are caged or not. panthers on the other hand are naturally curious and inquisitive. Veileds can be mellowed out but i think it has more to do with just who they are as a species. They be very aggressive but it usually has to do with how they were raised and treated.
Good luck.

how do you change an agressive,doesnt like to be takin out for free rang veiled cham to a nice frendly cham? is there anything you can do yourself to make your male veild chameleon be friendly/more friendly to the guy who feeds him everytime he is fed?

well.....

hey, I'm new to this site..

I've got a 1 and a half year old male veiled chameleon.... and he is far from aggressive!! lol he cant wait to get out of his tank in the mornings and loves to climb us and be handled all day, he hates staying in his enclosure... he even claws and the doors to get out!!! lol he is sitting on my head as I type!!

but as everyone is saying, it all depends on how they were bought up.

good vs 'evil'

I am blown away... I had a male Veiled from his 4th week until he was 1.5 yrs old and he loved being with us. He traveled with us, went to the store, outdoors in the summer and just hung on us, with us or near us, in the winter.
He fell badly, we think; we found him yellow & dying, suddenly, in the bottom of his crate on 5/11... We were blessed to be holding him when he died.
He ALWAYS turned beautiful colors in our hands, they were calming, light, easy greens & teals.....
Lived without & cried about Mozart for 4 weeks, but we just got Phi, another baby boy Veiled on 6/11. Life is worth living again! Phi seems OK with hanging... for very short periods because he is so young, but we want him to be really used to us, like Mozart was.
Mozart did hiss and carry on when we first started handling him, but he'd been brusquely handled by the saleswoman who packaged him for travel home when I bought him. She just reached in and grabbed him and quickly thrust him in a two cup container, almost like she was afraid he'd bite, so it made sense to me that he hated hands...
We were patient with him and bought him out of his crate a few times daily, and he got to where he'd walk onto our hands, even if he was sleeping (I loved him so much!). Miss him very much daily, but now we look to Phi with hope.
My Veiled was perfect...

ive had my male veiled for 10 days now and at first he hated me, hissed, tried to bite, flared up and otherwise wanted me dead lol. now hes learned that im not a threat and i bring him big juicy dubias hes less grumpy and more inclined to trust me.

some chams will hate you forever, some won't. breed is sort of irrelivant its just chams in general. if you want a cham its something you need to be prepared for.

I do my reasearch and talk to veiled owners and the answer is bi polar some veiled's can be angels and turn to monsters im going to own a veiled and im willing to care for it even get bitten they can be tamed but you need to show your attention but they can be grouchy and bite you anyways handling is limited unless baby to juvenile.

I am blown away... I had a male Veiled from his 4th week until he was 1.5 yrs old and he loved being with us. He traveled with us, went to the store, outdoors in the summer and just hung on us, with us or near us, in the winter.
He fell badly, we think; we found him yellow & dying, suddenly, in the bottom of his crate on 5/11... We were blessed to be holding him when he died.
He ALWAYS turned beautiful colors in our hands, they were calming, light, easy greens & teals.....
Lived without & cried about Mozart for 4 weeks, but we just got Phi, another baby boy Veiled on 6/11. Life is worth living again! Phi seems OK with hanging... for very short periods because he is so young, but we want him to be really used to us, like Mozart was.
Mozart did hiss and carry on when we first started handling him, but he'd been brusquely handled by the saleswoman who packaged him for travel home when I bought him. She just reached in and grabbed him and quickly thrust him in a two cup container, almost like she was afraid he'd bite, so it made sense to me that he hated hands...
We were patient with him and bought him out of his crate a few times daily, and he got to where he'd walk onto our hands, even if he was sleeping (I loved him so much!). Miss him very much daily, but now we look to Phi with hope.
My Veiled was perfect...
No wonder why he died hes not a bearded dragon sir

Back
Top Bottom