Baby chameleon and ficus tree problems

xspy20

Hi everybody I will be getting a baby male nosy be panther chameleon in the mail tomorrow and I have a few questions. What should I feed my baby panther other than pinheads because I have pinheads from my leopard geckos and i want to stop with them because they're a mess and they smell bad. Also my chameleon setup has a ficus tree in it and it keeps dropping greenish yellowish leaves. I'm watering it and i have a light for it but its still dropping leaves. If anybody could help with one or both of these problems it would be greatly appreciated! :)

You can try fruit flies. Those tend to work very well for babies. As for the plant, are the roots exposed to the grow light? If not, you may have covered them up too much if that's the case. Did you repot your plant prior to receiving your chameleon? The plant may be in shock if you repotted it. If you havn't repotted your plant, you may want to consider doing so because it could contain fertilizer that could be terminal to your animal.

I got the ficus tree from lll reptile so I don't know if it will have any fertilizers and yes they are exposed. One of my thoughts is maybe i was over watering so how often should i water it?

You want to water the plant enough so that the soil does not dry out. If you touch the soil and it appears dry, you are underwatering it. You do not want to overwater it either. Once a week is normal, and may be more in the summer.

I just got a baby nosey bes chameleon 4 weeks ago and have a ficus tree in his cage.I spray it 3xa day plus i water it good and drain it once a week when I clean his cage and make it drain...Hopefully this will help you. PHYLICIA

You may want to check the bottom sides of the leaves and also near the stems for mites. Ficus trees dont typically need too much light, so if it looks like its dying, it could have mites. The leaves will start to die and eventually youll lose the tree

How old is the baby you are getting? That will have a great to do with what to feed it. If someone is shipping you a cham that is small enough to eat pinheads or fruit fly's, it either better be a pygmy or I would not buy it. Shipping something that young is bad, and the chances of losing one the size are pretty good.:( jmo

I ficus by nature will most likely drop all leaves when every they have a complete change of location. If I move some from room, because of the difference in light, they will drop a ton of leaves. Just bear with it and it will most likely come back.

If the light is an incandescent (basking) or UVB bulb, those wont do anything for the ficus. You need a compact florescent light and/or some sunlight through a window.

Back
Top Bottom