Baby hoppers, started hatching.

Kx2+cham

Established Member
First batch of baby hopper hatched two days ago, started emerging from the egg bin. It took a good three months or so before the first baby emerged. I have neglected the bins and left it dry for a month but with heat. Got my surprise when I checked the bins two days ago.

IMG_9940.jpeg
IMG_9939.jpeg

🤗 Those cute babies make me think I want to try breeding some. But 3 months to hatch? 🫤
I totally abandoned taking care of the laying bins because I thought none will ever hatch, but left the heat going on. I was surprised when I saw those cute hatchlings, as of earlier I have maybe 15.

They are cute even when they grow big and looks like a giant creature from outer space.

I totally abandoned taking care of the laying bins because I thought none will ever hatch, but left the heat going on. I was surprised when I saw those cute hatchlings, as of earlier I have maybe 15.

They are cute even when they grow big and looks like a giant creature from outer space.
Ugh the bins need heat? I haven’t been providing heat to my lay bins :(. Maybe mine won’t hatch then.

Oh man...I feel like I should start over on this bug breeding project...I messed up in more ways than I care to admit.
if there are no hatchlings yet, you can still move it. The only reason you have to separate the lay bin when hatching the eggs is so that the adults will not harm/eat the baby hoppers. These are based on the papers Motherlode Chameleon wrote. I just follow most of guides in breeding grasshoppers.

if there are no hatchlings yet, you can still move it. The only reason you have to separate the lay bin when hatching the eggs is so that the adults will not harm/eat the baby hoppers. These are based on the papers Motherlode Chameleon wrote. I just follow most of guides in breeding grasshoppers.

Just out of curiosity (and still toying with the idea of breeding hoppers), where would one go about finding these papers?

You can contact @Motherlode Chameleon for details on how to get a copy.
I have got Schistocerca Care Sheets for sale about two species of Schistocerca (Bird Grasshoppers) grasshoppers.

However those whom are interested give me 10-20 days before requesting to purchase a Schistocerca Care Package. I just had surgery and am going to be out of action for the next 10-20 days. I am healing and recovering for the next 10-20 days.

The Schistocerca Care Packages are a great start to starting and keeping grasshopper colonies.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I have got Schistocerca Care Sheets for sale about two species of Schistocerca (Bird Grasshoppers) grasshoppers.

However those whom are interested give me 10-20 days before requesting to purchase a Schistocerca Care Package. I just had surgery and am going to be out of action for the next 10-20 days. I am healing and recovering for the next 10-20 days.

The Schistocerca Care Packages are a great start to starting and keeping grasshopper colonies.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Good to know if I can get over my fear of the adults. I hope you are ok and have a speedy recovery. 💗

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Rest, relax, and recover. Sending well wishes.

Schistocerca will hatch fine in an unheated basement. Mine usually take about 60 days in the low-mid 70's . 4-6 weeks if the temperature is in the 80's. I try not to let the soil with the eggs dry out. Im not sure if there would be a detrimental effect on the eggs or not if it did. I would think they could take some level of drought, since in the wild they live in some places that get pretty dry.

Schistocerca will hatch fine in an unheated basement. Mine usually take about 60 days in the low-mid 70's . 4-6 weeks if the temperature is in the 80's. I try not to let the soil with the eggs dry out. Im not sure if there would be a detrimental effect on the eggs or not if it did. I would think they could take some level of drought, since in the wild they live in some places that get pretty dry.
I've been sick for several weeks so I don't know what's going on with my eggs.

I've been sick for several weeks so I don't know what's going on with my eggs.
I hope you are feeling better now.

I have another batch of eggs hatching and they have been dried for a month and still babies are coming out. So don’t despair, when it’s their time to hatch, they will. Might not be as much as we are expecting but they will (might).

Back
Top Bottom