Baby panther chameleon day sleeping please help!!!!!!!

Tclinton

I bought a 1 month old baby panther chameleon this saturday from a reptile show. I watched him for a while in his tank before I got him. he was active and alert and he looked very healthy I brought him home and got him all set up but he sleeps all day. I tried to feed him and ive been misting him at least 3 times a day and Ive been using a dripper. I dont know what else to do. some one please help!!! :(:(:(

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - panther chameleon ive had him since saturday he is a month old
Handling - ive left him alone since ive gotten him. ive moved him just to wake him up
Feeding - ive tried feeding him small crickets, he hasnt eaten, guload with flukers
Supplements - repticalcium with D3 but he hasnt eaten. i also use with out D3
Watering - i use a dripper i mist 3 times a day and i have not seen him drink
Fecal Description - white. never tested for parasites
History -NA
Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage 17 inches high buy 12 inches
Lighting - 60 watt heat bulb 5.0 uvb
Temperature - 85 in basking area 75 everywhere else i use a petco thermomiter
Humidity - im not sure about humidity i mist and get all the leaves dripping wet then let it dry out
Plants -fake plastic
Placement - on my floor
Location - Reno NV
Current Problem -I brought him home and he sleeps all day he hasnt eaten and i havent seen him drinking yet

:) and welcome to the forums. Sorry your little guy is doing poorly. One month is very young. He doesn't need the basking light yet. I believe you want them in and area in upper 70's foe warm and lower 70's for cool, bottom. You do need the UVB. Also as already mentioned above you'll need fruit flies. That is most likely the only food it's had. You can also try pin head crickets and small worms after you get him eating his flies. Pictures of him and the enclosure would help.

this is his cage lights dripper and him

Attachments

• Panther 1.jpg
    Panther 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 271
  • panther 2.jpg
    panther 2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 344
  • panther 3.jpg
    panther 3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 282
is there any other light besides the heat bulb? You might want to add some stuff to his cage...it helps keep humidity too.

My opinion,
1. I would go buy a 58 qt sterilite tote. They make them in all kinds of colors. Id get the tinted ones personally like the green one or blue one but clear will be just fine.

2. Unless you are feeding pin head crickets or less than two week old crickets 1/8th inch crickets. You probably wont see him eat as the small cricket 1/4" are probably to big and intimidating to him. He needs super small feeders right now. Hydei fruit flies or pinhead crickets are a must.

3. Id set up one side (basking spot) of the tank so that the temps are in the mid to high 80's. Ambients on the other side in the low 70's if possible. Depending on your house temps a 40-60 watt normal house bulb in a dome will work.

4. A linear tube style uvb 5.0 over the top.

5. Put a pathos or lots of vines with LEAVES. They need surface area to drink from. Spray the vines and leaves till they are thoroughly wet 3-4 times a day. More than likely it will pool in the bottom so you will need to place some paper towels down or wipe it up.

Edit: what is your humidity at? This is important..

im going to buy a hydrometer tomorrow and ill see the humidity. how do i get him to stop sleeping in the day and move about?

My guess is that he is either dehydrated or temps arent right.

Not saying this is the case but..Another thing to consider. 1 month old isnt out of the woods yet. You lose some in the first three months whether you are a pro or not. It could be from the lack of proper nutrients to the mom, defect that happens during incubation or even mother natures way of population control.

If your chameleon was mine. I would spend about 30 minutes or so daily until the eye opened in a warm/hot shower with the curtain pulled closed and the door shut. With the re-moveable shower head i would point it at the wall of the tub but not doing this like i would for an adult. I would let the the extra fine mist every so often fall onto the baby. I wouldnt let it mist on them constantly. heres a link to what im talking about https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/594-shower-chamber-treatment.html

If your humidity is low, you may want to incorporate a unltra sonic humidifer or a repti fogger to the cage.

Last edited:
I put a humidifier on him this morning and im letting it run all day. I will give him the bath when I get home. Thank you for your help and I will update after the bath.

First suggestion I would make is to get the enclosure off the floor. Chameleons do like to be high up and he may feel insecure due to this. Second, get rid of the basking bulb for now. He's still kinda young for that. Or, get a lower wattage bulb. What care tips did you get when you purchased him?

I will try the bath today. I put a humidifier next to his cage and im going to leave it on all day. I will also buy fruit flies

First suggestion I would make is to get the enclosure off the floor. Chameleons do like to be high up and he may feel insecure due to this. Second, get rid of the basking bulb for now. He's still kinda young for that. Or, get a lower wattage bulb. What care tips did you get when you purchased him?

she told me to make it 85 in the basking spot and 75 as an ambient temperature. She said she has been feeding him house flies but that seems way to big. other than that nothing

So I got home to find that my panther chameleon had passed away sometime during the day. Thanks for everyone who tried to help me.

Back
Top Bottom