Baby yellow-lip Parson

Yes, it's wrong to purchase smuggled animals and what not, but it's too late. It won't help the wild any more if we don't help and the animal dies, does it?

Its never too late! He should be in the wild or maybe in a conservation/breeding program not a bedroom. It does support taking them from the wild if everyone gives him tips and advice on raising them. He should be jailed or at least fined not helped by forum members.

We should not let this person be a part of the CF, his Parson are most likely illegal too. I will not give advice to someone who supports the capture of endangered animals.

It's nice to see more enthusiasm for changing our collective thoughts about trade in this species but that may be overboard. Considering where Karum lives is also where the majority of the live Parson's currently in the US came from.... do we ban all the Parson's keepers here, too?

It's nice to see more enthusiasm for changing our collective thoughts about trade in this species but that may be overboard. Considering where Karum lives is also where the majority of the live Parson's currently in the US came from.... do we ban all the Parson's keepers here, too?

I am talking about the super rare tortoise, not the parson so much but... If there were only 600 parson I would absolutely feel the same. We keep these animals out of personal wants, there is no reason to have an endangered specie. I think if your animal is illegal you should not be harbored by anyone.

For anyone interested in the current situation with the Ploughshare Tortoise, here is the IUCN justification for their rating as Critically Engangered:

The Ploughshare Tortoise qualifies as Critically Endangered under several criteria:

Its population, historically depleted for local/regional consumption and habitat burning to less than 1,000 animals for the past few decades, has declined sharply in recent years as a result of poaching for the illegal pet trade, with the current population estimate being somewhere near 200 mature animals in the wild and the threat of poaching increasing; thus, criterion A4ad appears to be met.

As a result of historical exploitation and habitat loss, the species is now restricted to five small subpopulations which are discontinuous from each other, with an estimated area of occupancy of about 12 square km, and ongoing threat of losses of animals from poaching, thus very nearly meeting B2a+b(v) (it just exceeds the area threshold for CR, but is so close that listing as CR under this criterion seems justified)..

With the lower population estimate at 200 mature animals and a high threat of removal of some of these animals for the illegal pet trade, a 25% population decline over one generation (42 years) is met by poaching levels as low as three animals every two years; current (2008) documented confiscation numbers exceed this. Thus criterion C1 is met.

Based on population dynamics and threat impacts, by analogy with Astrochelys radiata, the species is nearly certain to go extinct within the next generation if current threats continue unabated.

Rosy outlook, huh?

The situation with this species is very different than with that of C. parsonii (a species that lacks any scientific justification to even be called Endangered). While in both cases their removal from the wild and exportation is illegal, doing so with the Ploughshare tortoise is incredibly detrimental to the species.

Chris

For anyone interested in the current situation with the Ploughshare Tortoise, here is the IUCN justification for their rating as Critically Engangered:

Rosy outlook, huh?

The situation with this species is very different than with that of C. parsonii (a species that lacks any scientific justification to even be called Endangered). While in both cases their removal from the wild and exportation is illegal, doing so with the Ploughshare tortoise is incredibly detrimental to the species.

Chris

Aren't there laws about this here and there?

I am talking about the super rare tortoise, not the parson so much but... If there were only 600 parson I would absolutely feel the same. We keep these animals out of personal wants, there is no reason to have an endangered specie. I think if your animal is illegal you should not be harbored by anyone.

Ah, I assumed it was the general disregard to smuggling, as was stated before. With as long as Calumma have been suspended from trade I tend to not differentiate between them and Appendix I species.

Aren't there laws about this here and there?

When a country(s) can't even handle human right issues, how do you expect them to enforce animal right issues? This is the last thing on their mind however much it sucks... So, if there were laws - or CITES recommendations what are the chance of them actually being enforced? Slim to none... The truth hurts.

See ya,

Todd

When a country(s) can't even handle human right issues, how do you expect them to enforce animal right issues? This is the last thing on their mind however much it sucks... So, if there were laws - or CITES recommendations what are the chance of them actually being enforced? Slim to none... The truth hurts.

See ya,

Todd

Sadly this is totally correct.

I dont think banning the user from CF would do much good at the end of the day what is done, is done there is no turning back time. I appreciate that this should NEVER!!!! have happened but i just hope the user never does this again!!!

Such a sad thing!!!!!

Does no one else find it odd how open some people are in showing off their rare animals? It's almost as if they're trying to garner attention to what they can get...

Something's fishy here and it isn't the sauce.

Luis

$0 it should not even be considered as available for purchase until wild populations and overall populations have recovered and the species are no longer endangered.

Right that makes sense I was reading this book called The Lizard King and it said that Mike VanNostrad sold them for $15,000 each in the 1990's

Neat species that are worthy and could aclimatize to captivety are worth $0.00 to the hobby/conservationists/world if they go extinct. All it is worth is a book to be studied about a major srew up that was a lesson we should have learned many species ago.

I get your point I was trying to figure out the amount of money that could have been put towards the conservation of these animals

Is there some sort of pledge to save the parsonii? If not the forums should start one!!!

The best thing you can do to conserve Parsons Chameleons is make a contribution that goes to conserving and restoring Parsons Chameleon habitat in Madagascar as they are listed as a threatened and not listed as endangered. As with the Ploughshare tortoise with only 200 left in the wild and from what was posted no breeding programs to see an openly shown wild caught animal being proudly posted on an international forum greatly upsets me.

Back
Top Bottom