Background for Reptibreeze XL

CryptKeeper

Established Member
I’m building a custom enclosure using a reptibreeze xl. I built a bottom out of pvc board that the reptibreeze will sit on top of with no bottom, then I have that attached to a 2x3 framed false bottom and pvc board on outside (this is for drainage system) it will be bioactive as well.

I have dragon ledges attached to the screen enclosure as well but my only concern is a background. Mainly bc it’s sitting against a wall in my house and I don’t want it getting drenched and I’d also like it to look natural more so than buying a vinyl background.

Any tips on best ways to go about it this? I was thinking either foam insulation board and carving it like a tree trunk maybe and using dry lock with tint and sand for texture to waterproof it. (If I went this route how thick of foam are you guys using to carve into?)

Or spray foam but not sure if that would be sturdy enough to hold much even with the dragon ledges. (This method I was thinking laying down plastic wrap or similar on the back wall and then foaming it all then taking out to carve/waterproof/paint)

I haven’t found many videos of people making backgrounds on the screen enclosures as opposed to the glass/pvc etc ones. Any help would be appreciated!

Would 1/2” foam insulation board be thick enough to carve and strong enough to hold some plants? I could probably rig the dragon stand onto it I’m sure for more support.

3/4” would be perfect I think but I don’t see any available. And 1” I don’t wanna take away much room from the enclosure but I guess that’s a small difference.

Edit Lowe’s has 3/4”

Last edited:
I personally am not sure about the foam backgrounds, I have one for my crested gecko and k think I did it wrong because after a little over a year it doesn’t look good anymore and is pealing from the back. I know others on here have done those kind of backgrounds and theirs look amazing.

For my chameleons I ended up getting printed backgrounds from petbackdrops or something like that and I really loved how they tuned out.

I’ll share a pic with some of the background for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 9
I personally am not sure about the foam backgrounds, I have one for my crested gecko and k think I did it wrong because after a little over a year it doesn’t look good anymore and is pealing from the back. I know others on here have done those kind of backgrounds and theirs look amazing.

For my chameleons I ended up getting printed backgrounds from petbackdrops or something like that and I really loved how they tuned out.

I’ll share a pic with some of the background for reference.
That does look good! Idk I’m just really into the diy stuff lately lol I really want to make a tree coming up from the bottom. Although you’ll probably barely be able to see it once everything grows in. Thanks for the experience though and pic.

Did you use dry lock layers and another coating of some protectant on top too?

That does look good! Idk I’m just really into the diy stuff lately lol I really want to make a tree coming up from the bottom. Although you’ll probably barely be able to see it once everything grows in. Thanks for the experience though and pic.

Did you use dry lock layers and another coating of some protectant on top too?
Oh man I think I used a safe silicone for the back and then the foam on top. It’s been a minute so I don’t remember too well.

I had put thought doing a background for my enclosure. But I ultimately decided to not opt to make a background. Screen panels with foam attach doesn't sit right with me. Too many complications of thoughts.

I had put thought doing a background for my enclosure. But I ultimately decided to not opt to make a background. Screen panels with foam attach doesn't sit right with me. Too many complications of thoughts.
I hear ya lol I’m still thinking about it. What made you decide against it ultimately? Did you think something could go wrong like mold or something? I was thinking that as well so would waterproof both sides if I do it.

I hear ya lol I’m still thinking about it. What made you decide against it ultimately? Did you think something could go wrong like mold or something? I was thinking that as well so would waterproof both sides if I do it.
Time! I work to much hours in the evening till past midnight. When I sleep and when I’m awake is not the same with someone working normal morning shift jobs.

Back
Top Bottom