Progress of my bioactive build

Looks like my local store is out of the giant canyons but I’ll take a ride there and see what’s in stock for big ones. I think a combo could work good if viable to do so

Idk why I got the dwarf whites bc I doubt Rex would eat any kind of isopod. Maybe I should get some bigger ones to help speed up the cleaning process. I actually found a couple brown ones in my culture idk what kind they were if they even were different but they were bigger and darker
Dwarf whites are nice and I probably have some mixed in with my giant canyons. I know the springtails are mixed in with the isopods. I like dwarf white for my roach bins. At one point my giant canyon extras had grown to 3 XL bins, which was way more than I needed so I sold them. It was nice as they became a fund raising project for a reptile club at a private school. The teacher who bought them got a fantastic deal. 😀

Dwarf whites are nice and I probably have some mixed in with my giant canyons. I know the springtails are mixed in with the isopods. I like dwarf white for my roach bins. At one point my giant canyon extras had grown to 3 XL bins, which was way more than I needed so I sold them. It was nice as they became a fund raising project for a reptile club at a private school. The teacher who bought them got a fantastic deal. 😀
Oh wow so they really populate haha

I’ll talk to the reptile place and see what’s best for my setup. But I’m sure a larger species would work better to keep things cleaner

Oh wow so they really populate haha
Yes, they sure do. lol Especially in a warm garage with plenty of food, humidity and no chameleons eating them. The prices for isopods kill me every time I look. Giant canyons are around $20+ for just 10 of them…TEN! I wanted to get some of the prettier types just for fun, but they are way too expensive. Rubber duckies are $10 each!

Yes, they sure do. lol Especially in a warm garage with plenty of food, humidity and no chameleons eating them. The prices for isopods kill me every time I look. Giant canyons are around $20+ for just 10 of them…TEN! I wanted to get some of the prettier types just for fun, but they are way too expensive. Rubber duckies are $10 each!
I know it’s insane I was just looking at the shop I told you about and there’s tons of colorful ones that are about $60 for 10 lol some I think are crazy for just 1.

I’m reading that it could be a bad idea to mix any other species with dwarf whites that eventually the dwarf whites will take over and the other species will die off bc the whites populate too quickly and will take all the resources.

But at the same time I have a 24”x24”x8” deep substrate area so it’s pretty large. I used 72 quarts of substrate plus leaf litter etc so I think there’s enough room for another species and food to not be scarce for one of them

Finally finished (basically, small things needed) added all the new plants (and old plants) and put Rex in. He seems to love it! I also finally set everything on timers haha I always manually did it. What’s difference! Hoping the CUC seeds nicely. I had them in a small deli container for a long time prior to adding them. Probably had like 75 dwarf whites and the springtails were really thriving so I think they’ll be fine.

Anyways what’s everyone’s thoughts or tips?

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpeg
    IMG_3970.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
I also plan to keep this one nice and trimmed. The old one got really overgrown. This one looks great you can see the bottom plants and everything else (hard to tell in photo)

Looks great and always love it when the bioactive part is build separately from the enclosure. Otherwise you would steal precious space with soil.

Rex will definitely loves his new jungle 👌
Yeah that was my thought exactly. He’d lose like 10” of space. Now he has extra room. Made sure to give him access down to the bottom too. I spent the last two days playing with sticks and plants to get it right haha

Yeah that was my thought exactly. He’d lose like 10” of space. Now he has extra room. Made sure to give him access down to the bottom too. I spent the last two days playing with sticks and plants to get it right haha
It was worth all the effort!! Now it's enjoyment for two...

Back
Top Bottom