Basic and probably easy questions...

BakedGoodies

Hi! I'm new. :) I've been lurking for a quite a while and found answers to many basic questions but got a quick few.

I've read that basic house hold light bulbs work well for basking lights for panther chameleons. I'm getting two two-month old chameleons (I'll get a separate cage when the time comes) and am setting up a cage for them. My house only uses those "eco friendly" florescent bulbs that are compact, and my boyfriend informed me those don't produce heat. Is he right?

I went and got the cheaper 60 watt ones just in case. I also have a red bulb left over from my iguana set up (he passed a few months ago after 13+ years) and didn't know if that would be better or not than a regular household light bulb.

Also, I got the Exo-Terra Mister, and it smells funny to me! I gave it a basic wash and ran warm water through it for a whole cycle. Does anyone have experience with that brand, and should I run it through the dish washer just to make sure it's super nice and clean?

Okay, last question. I know they're super young so I held off on buying feeders and plan to run to the store once the chameleons arrive. I saw today the pet store had those "flyless fruit fly" containers and read on the forum somewhere that fruit fly larvae are good for baby chameleons. I have no idea how those work, though! Like is that container left in the bottom of the cage and they can escape? I have no idea how to get them out of there, and they looked so tiny!

I've had experience with crickets from my leopard geckos, so not sure if I should stick to what I know or go for what most of you more-experienced owners have suggested.

Oh, and I'm excited. :D And sorry you had to read so much!

I use a 75w basking light from the restore, it was only like 6 dollars. As for the fruit flies, I had the very same question just a week ago. Just tap the flies out into your feeder cup or onto a leaf near your cham. Even though they are tiny, their life span is very short, so even if a few escape it's really no big deal. Unless your cage is gonna be near your kitchen...

So a 60 watt household light bulb won't suffice? I live in Southern California and it gets pretty dang hot here.

Oh and the basking light and UVB light should be turned off at night, right?

60 watt may be fine .. if you can get the right temp at the basking spot.
its true those compact florescents don't produce much if any heat.
no need for the red bulb save it for the dubia everyone will eventually convince you to raise :p
i bought one of those misters to and mine really smelled, i think its just the blow molded plastic, just rinse it out, been using mine for like 3 months and it still smells... never caused any problems though.
yes all lights off at night

Also, make sure you get a digital thermometer for the basking spot, it'll help you tremendously with keeping your temperatures right. You can get a zoomed one for like 6 to 8 bucks at off our one of our sponsors' sites, or petco.

Flightless fruit flies will likely be too small for your chams at 2 months.
They should be on to 1/4"-3/8" crickets by that time.

It doesn't matter so much of the wattage of the bulb than the basking temp, I have a 50 watt lightbulb that I got from petsmart and I have 82f basking temp about a foot away from the light. Gunna replace it with a 40 watt or maybe less wattage housebulb after it burns out

Just to make sure, both lights should be on 12 hours per day. Crickets are a good staple food if you gutload and use the right vitamins. Everything else is for variety so anything creepy that fits in the mouth is good. The more variety and space the better. Plenty of leafiness too.

Back
Top Bottom