best chance for colorful(-ish) veiled female?

keokeo

hi everyone,

i'm planning to purchase a female juvenile veiled chameleon.

i'd like a female because they are smaller and less aggressive, veiled for hardiness. i understand egg-laying and the associated best practices with females. i have no plans to breed.

i also know that females generally lack such bold and bright coloring as males.

yet i'm wondering, do you have any recommendations for what breed type of veiled females may be most colorful?

on theveiledchameleon.com they offer sunburst, high orange, high yellow, and turquoise, obviously showing pics of the male sires. http://www.theveiledchameleon.com/?page_id=1185

i appreciate if you share any anecdotal evidence as to whether a certain veiled female breed tend to turn out with more "pizazz" than other females, or if they actually all look similar. if there's no point in me getting a specially bred one for color, then i will just get a basic juvenile.

also, can anyone comment on theveiledchameleon.com being reputable/recommended?

thank you so much for any input!

Just to point out, a female will develop eggs and need to lay them even if she never sees a male her whole life. So even though you don't intend to breed be aware you will still have to deal with egg laying. And I don't believe the females really look much different between the types. I think those attributes are really only with the males.

thank you! i've read a lot about the symptoms of being gravid, the laying receptacle, diet to avoid frequent laying, so i think i am as prepared as i can be!

We bred ours for color and this is what we got:

07202012_Tallulah.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are interested, but maybe getting a nice Super Translucent female would be a good fit for you, you can get a bit of color, and also an unusual pattern.

As far as www.theveiledchameleon.com goes, I do not have any personal experience with them, however, The Chameleon Company is a very highly recommended company to deal with, and they have a warning directly on the Home page of their website warning people against doing business with this company, apparently they are scammers who have several other domains, and many many unsatisfied customers who received sick or dead animals, or never received anything at all.

I hope I have not made an error with this post, I am aware that there is a sponsor on these forums with a very similar name, I believe they are www.veiledchameleon.com. That said I am unsure if they are the same company, or if our sponsor is just the victim of a shady company attempting to divert traffic away from their legitimate website by creating a domain name which is almost identical.

I am sure one of our more senior members will be able to give some insight into this...Good luck on your search!

hi everyone,

i'm planning to purchase a female juvenile veiled chameleon.

i'd like a female because they are smaller and less aggressive, veiled for hardiness. i understand egg-laying and the associated best practices with females. i have no plans to breed.

i also know that females generally lack such bold and bright coloring as males.

yet i'm wondering, do you have any recommendations for what breed type of veiled females may be most colorful?

on theveiledchameleon.com they offer sunburst, high orange, high yellow, and turquoise, obviously showing pics of the male sires. http://www.theveiledchameleon.com/?page_id=1185

i appreciate if you share any anecdotal evidence as to whether a certain veiled female breed tend to turn out with more "pizazz" than other females, or if they actually all look similar. if there's no point in me getting a specially bred one for color, then i will just get a basic juvenile.

also, can anyone comment on theveiledchameleon.com being reputable/recommended?

thank you so much for any input!

BTW, females are not always less aggressive! I know of quite a few really evil ones.

To research Theveiledchameleon you need to go to Fauna Classified's Board of Inquiry and read about others' experiences.

thank you for the tips and suggestions! i didn't realize asking about businesses was frowned upon so i am sorry for that. but i appreciate the information. also, photoprincess, that is a beautiful little lady you have there!

BTW, females are not always less aggressive! I know of quite a few really evil ones.

To research Theveiledchameleon you need to go to Fauna Classified's Board of Inquiry and read about others' experiences.

Take Carlton's advice- read other people's experience. Really.

;)

This was my female, from a one-time private breeder.
The best chance for a colorful female is a healthy and happy one. Lots of good food and lots of sunshine will go a long way in helping them reach their maximum potential.

charlotte6months12.jpg

My female veiled isn't colorful per say, but she can really bring out some crazy patterns of her brown/green/yellow. She has a sweet demeanor......until she is gravid. Then she turns into a demon.

The best way to have a beautiful chameleon male or female is to keep your animal healthy and happy by providing a large variety of feeders that are well gut loaded and supplemented correctly. Take your animals to the vets for checkups and regular fecals. Treat them with love and respect and I also free range all of my animals and give them plenty of outside time for natural UV. It also doesn't hurt to have good looking parents. ;)

This was my beautiful female Camille

cams022011137.jpg

Sadie, 7 months old (Camille's granddaughter)

sadie070812062.jpg

those are amazing lady chams you all have there! mine is less colorful but i'm trying hard to give her the best care i can. and i love her whether she's plain green or not. :) of course unfortunately she turns the most interesting patterns when she is scared (like when she fell down one time). but she is really friendly so i am happy i don't scare her. :) she's about 1.25 years now and hasn't been gravid. i'm trying to limit her diet and i guess it's working. i'm scared when the time will come! thank you all for your support.

Back
Top Bottom