Best Dripper

Ellron

Established Member
Im looking for a new dripper... What would be the best one? I know the " Little Dripper" and " Big Dripper" are popular... Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either?
Do some people out there use homemade drippers? If so how do you make them and how do they work?

Thanks a lot!
Ellron

Here you go, this is my homemade dripper. It cheap to make and works great. I changed the catch bucket to a gal milk carton. So the amount I put in the dripper is the amount the catch bucket fills to. Set at a drip per second and a gallon last all day. One thing to watch for is air in the line. I usually fill up the carton, turn the valve off and then turn up so the air gets out of the line and then set it to the speed I want.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/draetish/225-making-dripper-set-up.html

Im looking for a new dripper... What would be the best one? I know the " Little Dripper" and " Big Dripper" are popular... Does anyone have good or bad experiences with either?
Do some people out there use homemade drippers? If so how do you make them and how do they work?

Thanks a lot!
Ellron

I use the Little Dripper. It works very well and does its job. It is a bit tricky figuring out where to adjust the nozel to in order to get the correct water flow ( I try for about one drop per second), but once you get it, you're all set!

Here you go, this is my homemade dripper. It cheap to make and works great. I changed the catch bucket to a gal milk carton. So the amount I put in the dripper is the amount the catch bucket fills to. Set at a drip per second and a gallon last all day. One thing to watch for is air in the line. I usually fill up the carton, turn the valve off and then turn up so the air gets out of the line and then set it to the speed I want.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/draetish/225-making-dripper-set-up.html

any way you can post it. I am not a high enough member to view that stuff.
Robert

bad thing about Little dripper sometimes it doesn't always work... it some times seems to get clogged but nothings clogging it....

The little drippers do sometimes just seem not to work, then when you pick them up, they start going again. There's also a "water pressure" issue....to have them dripping at 1 drop per second in 2 hours, you have to start it at a substantially faster drip. As the water gets lower, it doesn't drip as fast.

I ended up just going to Lowes and getting some 1/4 tubing and a drier valve. It was really hard to find a valve that didn't need pressure to drip... I used a milk jug and made a hole in it with a pencil. I then slid the tubing in. It made a water tight seal! I then attached the valve and attached another piece of tubing to the other end. I made a hole where I wanted it to drip, pushed the hose through and Wha-Lah! My dripper was set.

.....a "water pressure" issue....to have them dripping at 1 drop per second in 2 hours, you have to start it at a substantially faster drip. As the water gets lower, it doesn't drip as fast.
I found this problem out when racking my brain for issues in the aisle of Lowes... I haven't thought of a solution, but I don't think its tooooooo big of a deal.

I found this problem out when racking my brain for issues in the aisle of Lowes... I haven't thought of a solution, but I don't think its tooooooo big of a deal.

It's definitely something you can work with...I'm usually dripping water all the way to the cages when I first put them up, but sometimes they are still dripping at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. You just have to understand it's going to happen.

The little drippers are essentially a homemade dripper just all the parts together. It's the same exact 1/4 valve and tubing that home depot and lowes sells. What clogs the tube is air usually. The small diameter of the tube forms a seal when there's a bubble, I always open the valve all the way then turn down to adjust to drip.

Also, if you're not so lucky as to get a perfect seal, silicone works well. Home depot sells this silicone now that's just in a tube like glue so you don't have to mess with the gun tubes. Dries in three hours too! Good way to get a good hole is to heat up a nail and just slide it through the plastic.

i use the big dripper

the big dripper is a bit finicky while adjusting so it will either be a flow or very slow dripping but once you get used to it it seems to work ok it can stop dripping every once and a while but if you adjust it it will start again im sure draetish's home made one is better.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I will have to try out a bunch of drippers in the future to find my favorite :D

I just set up are Little Dripper. My Jackson chameleon went right up to it and started drinking. I reconmend the Little Dripper from Zoo Med. Good Luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom