best kind of screen

Ahhh the constant debate. It seems like everyone has their own preferations, myself I like the 1/2"-3/4 inch plastic fencing they sell in the gardening department at Lowe's. It's soft on their feet and won't snag toenails :)

-Dave

Ahhh the constant debate. It seems like everyone has their own preferations, myself I like the 1/2"-3/4 inch plastic fencing they sell in the gardening department at Lowe's. It's soft on their feet and won't snag toenails :)

-Dave

yep, i have 1/2" pvc coated mesh that is great for climbing and sleeping(apparently), only downside is you have to cup feed, but i have a large cage so i do anyway...

when they were babies i had them in a cage with 1/4" steal mesh, and they liked that too, never had any feet problems

Good luck!

You can also get a normal screen cage and add the PVC mesh in addition to the screen the cage is made of. It sounds like your building the cage yourself? So if your building the frame out of wood you could fasten the normal aluminum screen on the outer face of the wood and then fasten the PVC mesh to the inside face. This would create a gap so nails don't get snagged and bugs can't get out. Screencages.com makes cages out of a special mesh that is 1/8" spaced. Its great for chams because their feet and nails can go in and out of the holes easily. Dave Weldon has a cage with this mesh, maybe he can share a pic of the mesh in action. I have no idea where you buy this stuff, but if you find out, please share with the rest of us ;)

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category_id=TWPCAT_4/~product_id=008X008G0170W48X10BL;jsessionid=E2E18C81D6DA2C08A300FA4150B05486.jvm1

This is where I bought my screen from.
Its an epoxy coated 1/8" mesh, but very expensive If your just looking to do a couple cages. The 4'x10' roll was just enough to do what I needed, but the first roll they sent me was unusable. Another roll was sent out free of charge 2 day air. Worked great for me, ended up pop riveting the mesh to the outside of screen frames that fit into the wood supports. Very nice product but not totally convinced it warrants paying nearly 2$ a sqft.

If I ever build another cage, I think I'll use the plastic fencing that was already mentioned.

Thanks!

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category_id=TWPCAT_4/~product_id=008X008G0170W48X10BL;jsessionid=E2E18C81D6DA2C08A300FA4150B05486.jvm1

This is where I bought my screen from.
Its an epoxy coated 1/8" mesh, but very expensive If your just looking to do a couple cages. The 4'x10' roll was just enough to do what I needed, but the first roll they sent me was unusable. Another roll was sent out free of charge 2 day air. Worked great for me, ended up pop riveting the mesh to the outside of screen frames that fit into the wood supports. Very nice product but not totally convinced it warrants paying nearly 2$ a sqft.

If I ever build another cage, I think I'll use the plastic fencing that was already mentioned.

SWEET thanks for the link! not cheap!.... but... who said keeping chams was cheap!?:confused:

Maybe some people can do a group buy....

Screen

Here is an example of the plastic garden fencing stapled to the inside frame of the cages I made. On the outside is regular insect screening. There is about 1"-2" gap between the two walls. This allows for the chams to climb the walls without the breaking nails. As an added benefit you can attach branches and vines to the fencing as well.

Last edited:
Thanks.I was more worried about his tounge on the screen then his toes.Today im gonna look into doubling up somr coated wire.

Wire Mesh Source

Just stumbled across this forum and figured I would throw our a soure for metal wire mesh and wire cloth for you guys:

http://www.bwire.com/

Look here before you go nuts shopping all over the internet for the best pricing.

They have stainless steel, copper, bronze, or whatever you need, so check it out.

Good Luck guys.

Whoa, sorry guys, didnt realize this thread was soooo old. I found it through a google search. Sorry for bumping it, but I think it can still be of use.

Back
Top Bottom