blood after poop? Help! :(

chameleonlady89

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? * 2 month old veiled, male, had for a week and a half

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Try not to but he likes to climb on our hands and explore the room

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? Gut-loaded crickets, mealworms, horned worms, we feed him 5 - 7 crickets and a few other worms. 4 crickets in the morning and 4 at night

How are you gut-loading your feeders? Fresh carrots, apple, sweet potato, clean containters daily

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? RepCal, every time we give him crickets

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Have a cup with hole in bottom, mist three times daily

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has been normal with good urate for a week. Today I noticed a tiny bit of blood came out AFTER he pooped. Thought that was unusual.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from a reputable breeder, never been outside.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, pretty sure 18 x 18 x 30? Not sure but it was 120$ for the "medium" size.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Bought ceramic UVB from breeder/reptile store owner. Also bought a reptile (tube) light, 60W

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Daytime temp is 80 -85, nighttime 72-75. Two thermometers.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50 + during the day, 40 at night. I have a cool mist humidifier and a heater. I use a hygrometer to measure the humidity.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No plants, except for the ones outside of his tank. I water them daily to keep the humidity a little higher.

At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It's about 3 feet off the floor on a table.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I found some threads on bloody poop, I really hope it isn't a parasite, and hoping he just had too big a poop or something.....The poop itself was normal, dark and hard with a white urate, some red stuff just came out with a clearish liquid after he had finished doing his business. Should I take him to the vet asap??

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I strongly suggest you get a test for parasites. I can't, in good conscience, say anything else.

That said...I do hold to the "everyone deserves a bad dump" theory of life...so, if this is the only time you see blood, maybe it isn't a serious problem.

I strongly suggest you get a test for parasites. I can't, in good conscience, say anything else.

That said...I do hold to the "everyone deserves a bad dump" theory of life...so, if this is the only time you see blood, maybe it isn't a serious problem.

I will take a stool sample into the vet tomorrow, I really hope it isn't serious. Thank you for your help :)

Sorry that myself and the forum hasn't really responded... But if most are like me, we are tentative to respond to a question like this as it is uncommon and most likely a vet visit. Too hard to gauge via internet.

I went over to the owner of the store we bought Beans from (for some reason the herp vet is not open today), and showed him the poop... he said because there were only tiny red specks after the poop that it could just be undigested cricket food. Beans pooped again this morning and it looked fine, no red spots at all :) I guess I've been feeding the crickets too many carrots and sweet potatoes! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help! :D

I went over to the owner of the store we bought Beans from (for some reason the herp vet is not open today), and showed him the poop... he said because there were only tiny red specks after the poop that it could just be undigested cricket food. Beans pooped again this morning and it looked fine, no red spots at all :) I guess I've been feeding the crickets too many carrots and sweet potatoes! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help! :D

Its has nothing to do with the gutload.
An orange speckled urate indicates dehydration, and is quite like a sweet potato/carrot color.

I would suggest to continue to monitor he poop. If you see blood then I would get a fecal done by a qualified vet. Also even if you do not see any more of what appears to be blood it can't hurt to have a fecal done on any new pet.

SolidSnake - you are right, he did not drink as much yesterday, but he is drinking a lot more today. He seems a lot more active and his colours are a lot brighter. The urate itself had no orange or yellow on it, it was after he pooped, which is why I was concerned.

K9Luvn - I will def. monitor his poop to see if it stays the same or gets worse. Definitely need to go to a herp vet and get him checked out.

Thanks again! :)

*bump* did you go to the vet? What was the answer?
I've just got a rough jungle vine for my little Marvin (Jackson Xanth) and he poops and rubs his but on it which I have noticed is doing him more bad than it is good, he rubbed his little hiney on it this afternoon and a little bit of blood came out afterwards, already spent the last of my wages this week on my poor panther cham at the vets, so can't take this one to the vet to double check until I get paid, and I'm positive it's because of the vine but wanted to see if anyone else had it either...There was no answer to this, did you ever get an answer? Maybe he was just rubbing it on something rough afterwards? As it deffo wasn't in his poop at all, it was after the whole thing once he'd tucked it away and started wiping lol
Sorry for details just want an answer before the weekend!

Cheers :)
L

Back
Top Bottom