Boom shakalaka!!

maxttu

Finally! Finally have some baby hissers! Aren't they cute?? Let's see if I can get this colony going! :D
4729fb67-57a4-72e2.jpg

4729fb67-57b1-9d71.jpg

What do you feed the hissers too?

nothing, yet... I bought some females and males a few months ago and just recently separated them from my dubia colony. Maybe this is why it took a while to produce? Once my numbers are established I hope to feed some off to my verru... :D

nothing, yet... I bought some females and males a few months ago and just recently separated them from my dubia colony. Maybe this is why it took a while to produce? Once my numbers are established I hope to feed some off to my verru... :D

You had them mixed in with your Dubias?

I think they give live birth also, like Dubia.

Congrats..

You had them mixed in with your Dubias?

I think they give live birth also, like Dubia.

Congrats..

yes, they do give live birth. I did have them mixed in with the dubia for awhile. Probably coincidence, but I just separated them on the 9th and two wks later I have babies!

yes, they do give live birth. I did have them mixed in with the dubia for awhile. Probably coincidence, but I just separated them on the 9th and two wks later I have babies!

i wonder if they can cross breed with B.dubia?

i wonder if they can cross breed with B.dubia?

Prolly not, but if I ever see anything out of the ordinary, I'll be sure to post! :) I went and took another look and there are at least 40 of these nymphs running around! :eek:

I purchased 3 female and 1 male hisser from a pet store a month or 2 ago and I too just chucked them in with my dubias. I believe all 3 females have had babies, as there are many nymphs of various sizes. I am not feeding off any un til there are some more adults producing. The nymphs sure are meaty and grow fast. Some of the babies are the size of an adult dubia! I will leave them together as it seems to be working well, but maybe I will separate the hissers from dubias in the future if it gets crowded.

I purchased 3 female and 1 male hisser from a pet store a month or 2 ago and I too just chucked them in with my dubias. I believe all 3 females have had babies, as there are many nymphs of various sizes. I am not feeding off any un til there are some more adults producing. The nymphs sure are meaty and grow fast. Some of the babies are the size of an adult dubia! I will leave them together as it seems to be working well, but maybe I will separate the hissers from dubias in the future if it gets crowded.

It might just be best to go ahead and separate them, if you have the room. Who knows the comfort level if they're surrounded by 100's and 1000's of b. dubia...

They cannot interbreed with dubia. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe they can delay giving birth until they find it a suitable time to do so. That would probably be why they gave birth right after being separated. :)

They cannot interbreed with dubia. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe they can delay giving birth until they find it a suitable time to do so. That would probably be why they gave birth right after being separated. :)

I had a feeling! That's why I separated them! Thx for the confirmation!

I'll probably separate them if they stop having babies. But for now they seem to be "happy" enough and are being fruitful. If it ain't broke.....right?

Back
Top Bottom