Breaking a hunger strike?

PappaRONzi

I bought my guy some blue bottle flies and he loves them! Problem is that is all he seems to want to eat now, have not seen him eat a cricket or horn worm since the flies came into his life. Do I just need to do tuff love and cut him off the flies? Will he go back to the staples after he gets hungry enough? Why are they all so picky like this, they are these simple creatures that are not supposed to be this complicated.

leaving him off food entirely wont hurt for 2-3 days i would try that and intoruce the crickets or what ever then.

Why are they all so picky like this, they are these simple creatures that are not supposed to be this complicated.

Hah yea I'm a new Cham owner but I already feel ya. You go through all the trouble of preparing smelly gutloads and then preparing the crix and put all this time and thought into creative ways of getting them to eat. Where's the appreciation lol?!?!

Hunger strike continues!

Day 5 and still not eating. Should I give him back the flies to get something in his belly? He was eating crickets and hornworms good before the flies so this is really confusing. Will a simple creature really get that picky over what they eat?

The problem with feeding only flys is your ability to gut load them. I know the Mantis Place sells fly food but honestly I don't know much about it. I don't use BB flys as a staple so I don't worry about gut loading them to much although I do use the fly food when I have a lot of flys.

At five days without eating I would start to get a little concerned. Maybe only put one or two flys in the cage along with some crickets or offer silk,horns or supers.

well maybe they are not that simple after all!! Yes, they can be so finicky and stubborn when it comes to eating. How old is your chameleon?. You don't want to starve a growing chameleon if he is a baby or juvi. Atleast I wouldn't.

Gave him one fly and he ate it! Little devil still wouldn't eat a cricket. Keep trying and I will get him something better to eat. He is around a year I am guessing, bought him at a expo from a dealer that didn't have much info. I have had him around 2 months and he has done really well until this hunger strike.

Post a pic. If he is indeed a year old and healthy, a week or two shouldn't hurt him. He wont starve himself and will eventually take other foods.

always try a different feedr they will usually break it i just broke my guy terrance from a strike 4 days no food and you will never guess what he started eating!! the friggin mealworm beetles! lol i wish i had supers turning right now i wouldnt have to feed so many dammit!

My Veiled guy lasted a couple of weeks with no food quite comfortably when he was refusing crickets (I did give him one locust after about a week, he looked hungry :)).
Now he's got it out of his system it seems and he's eating nearly everything I offer. I recommend standing firm - the only way to break a hunger strike is be more stubborn than the Cham :D. If you have nicely gutloaded crickets or roaches on offer for him he won't starve himself too much before he gives in, I promise............

Gave him one fly and he ate it! Little devil still wouldn't eat a cricket. Keep trying and I will get him something better to eat. He is around a year I am guessing, bought him at a expo from a dealer that didn't have much info. I have had him around 2 months and he has done really well until this hunger strike.

Just curious did you get him from Mike in the Redskins jacket or shirt?

I had a couple of mine go on strikes where they only want to eat certain things. I too had to take mine off of what they liked and then they were willing to eat whatever I gave them after a few days.

Photo of my boy

Here is the best pic I could get before he took off. Thanks for all the feedback.

Attachments

• g man.jpg
    g man.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 210
He looks healthy, be warned he could last a while :) If he is going to hold out for flies I would advise trying other foods like roaches as well to see if you can spark interest in healthier foods

Just curious did you get him from Mike in the Redskins jacket or shirt?

I had a couple of mine go on strikes where they only want to eat certain things. I too had to take mine off of what they liked and then they were willing to eat whatever I gave them after a few days.

No, got him from a guy who has been setup on the backwall of the building during the last two Expo's. Kind of wish I would have gotten from a better dealer. Live and learn.

Strike is over!

My guy went over to his cricket feeder today and had his breakfast just like old times. Ate two good size crickets! I was very relieved. I am not sure if I should give him any more flies or just avoid them for the future. I did order some Phoenix worms to try, he loves wax worms and these look similar so hopefully I can add these to his food lineup.

Back
Top Bottom