Breeding for beginners

hummer121

Hi everyone, I'm new to breeding panther chams, but not new to owning one. Just wondering if anyone can recommend where to get the best info on how to get started and whats involved etc. Thanks.

Breeding them is the easy part! Waiting for the female to lay the eggs, waiting for them to hatch and dealing with the babies after and then letting them go when they are still so cute is the hard part!

You will need to make sure you keep the female healthy, a suitable place for the female to lay the eggs, a suitable place to incubate them after they are laid, vermiculite (or some other substrate to put in the containers of eggs) and suitable containers for incubating the eggs in. Once they start hatching you will need a supply of pinhead crickets and/or fruit flies...and believe me they eat a lot! You will need cages, branches and plants for the cages and supplements for them all. You will also have to mist all of the cages you put them in a couple of times a day. I'm sure that there are a few things I've missed too!

Breeding them is the easy part! Waiting for the female to lay the eggs, waiting for them to hatch and dealing with the babies after and then letting them go when they are still so cute is the hard part!

You will need to make sure you keep the female healthy, a suitable place for the female to lay the eggs, a suitable place to incubate them after they are laid, vermiculite (or some other substrate to put in the containers of eggs) and suitable containers for incubating the eggs in. Once they start hatching you will need a supply of pinhead crickets and/or fruit flies...and believe me they eat a lot! You will need cages, branches and plants for the cages and supplements for them all. You will also have to mist all of the cages you put them in a couple of times a day. I'm sure that there are a few things I've missed too!

um you forgot the part about actually breeding them. haha

oh my

i miss clicked this my computer keeps doing this freeze thing. i wanted to know this anyway incase i get a female at the next reptile expo

I would say the biggest issue with breeding panthers is having the space. Once you have 20 - 30 neonates hatch out you can keep them all in a plastic tote for about 2 weeks. when they start growing you will have to separate the biggest from the smallest. Next you have to separate male from female. After about the 4 month mark you have to house the males individually. Before you know it you have an entire room dedicated to your baby cham raising. Its definitely worth the effort but if you dont keep ontop of everything you can end up with health issues early on so its a constant battle to keep the cages clean and the babies fed and watered. If you dont breed your own pinheads you will go broke keeping them all fed properly. Definitely not a huge money making venture after you pay for food and electricity to light the cages, but very gratifying when you turn out healthy babies.

I would say the biggest issue with breeding panthers is having the space. Once you have 20 - 30 neonates hatch out you can keep them all in a plastic tote for about 2 weeks. when they start growing you will have to separate the biggest from the smallest. Next you have to separate male from female. After about the 4 month mark you have to house the males individually. Before you know it you have an entire room dedicated to your baby cham raising. Its definitely worth the effort but if you dont keep ontop of everything you can end up with health issues early on so its a constant battle to keep the cages clean and the babies fed and watered. If you dont breed your own pinheads you will go broke keeping them all fed properly. Definitely not a huge money making venture after you pay for food and electricity to light the cages, but very gratifying when you turn out healthy babies.

At what age are they sellable though? I assumed 3 months and they are ready to go. Am I wrong?

I would sell at three monthas as the babies would be a good size and males and females would be a bit more easier to tell apart.

You're absolutely right Thezillaman21! Must be the lack of sleep I've been getting lately! :(

To breed the panthers...I don't breed a female until she is a year old so that she has had plenty of time to complete her own growth. When the time comes, I hold the female outside the male's cage and watch the reactions of both. If the male bobs his head and doesn't act as though he is going to attack/fight her and she remains calm, moves slowly away from him, keeps her peachy receptive colors, then she can be placed into his cage. I continue to watch to make sure that things are going well...no negative change in their behavior. The female can be left in the male's cage until she the mating is over or until she turns dark colors and repels the male.

If the male acts aggressive or the female gapes, hisses, lunges, inflates her body, darkens her colors to "chocolate browns", etc. then I put the female back in her cage and try again in a few days.

After the mating she should lay eggs about 30 or 40 days later...but they can lay them earlier sometimes...so I would recommend placing an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled almost full of washed playsand in the cage and leaving it there so she has a place to dig when the time comes. Most females will use this container...but some people prefer to move them to a larger container (trash can/rubbermaid) once they start to dig.

When the female is digging, do not let her see you watching her or she may abandon the hole. If it happens often enough, it can lead to eggbinding and death.

haha it happens. i was exsplaining something before and did not realize i left out my main point/answer to the question at hand. i cant wait to get a female probably next spring cuz cold weather= X( cham.

Back
Top Bottom