Buying next bulk of crickets.

Trey ill look those up. Thank you for the suggestion. I just bought snails. I hope my veiled likes them!!

My crickets arrive tomorrow. I'm officially out. @bill I dropped a cup of crickets in the kitchen in route to Frita and dropped down and thought I had caught them, and yelled for my husband to come help me, so we could round them up, lift my hands and nothing is there!! Phantom crickets!! So those suckers are roaming around my house now, which is awesome. You know you spend so much time gut loading them to drop one or let one get away without a fight just isn't happening. My husband thinks iv lost my mind. I'll chase them and scream " get it get it, it's gut loaded!!" My kids officially think I'm off my ticker, and my grandmother came over and opened my plastic bin and saw 400 crickets and started screaming. She thought I had gotten winter clothes out of storage. Good thing it was not full of dubias. She might of had a heart attack.

Sounds a lot like my house. I've lost quite a few until I learned the refridgeration method for chilling them in their shipping box and then dumping them into their cage. I'm also laughing at the mental image of your grandmother seeing all the crickets!!! BTW, I'm Michelle - my husband set up the account and decided to use his username for some strange only known to men reason :D

What are the benefits of going with banded crickets? And are there any crickets that don't friggin chirp? Lol, damn things can be annoying at times.

When you guys get them shipped to you, what kind of box do they come in? Can you see that they're crickets? I live in an apartment complex, and if the UPS guy drops them off in the lobby, I don't want people freaking out that I have so many crickets. :cool:

Being new to keeping herps, I'm trying to find the most economical place to buy a package of crickets.
I've devoted three aquariums to housing crickets; a 30 gal. and two 20 gals.

Oh god you guys, I got my new roaches in my old cricket plastic container and currently have 4000 crickets in my 10 gallon tank until I can get to Walmart in the morning. Oh mah gawd. What was I thinking. I'm not moving those roaches. Those crickets are pissed. Ugh. Iv got 4 verticle egg crates going right now with spoonfuls of cricket crack in the egg compartments. Plus apples and the usual in between each crate till I can get there tomorrow. I got 1/2 size, some are pretty tiny. They are crawling out the top, I was watching tv and here comes one hopping across the floor. I'm so tired from the kids I was like you win cricket, you win. Watch out for my 13 month old, she eats bugs.

@sorry michelle! Should of read your signature! I also bought some butter worms. My Cham loved them. My geckos did too. 4000 crickets in a 10 gallon tank is such a hot mess. Ugh.

The box will say live feeder but you can arrange pickup at FedEx or ups. You can buy at ghanns or premium crickets, banded ones are more quiet and have a softer shell. Olimpia is a mod on here that has a great blog on keeping feeders. She breaks down gut loading great.

I worked at an independent pet store for some time and I remember one time a couple came in to pick up the 1,000 crickets they'd ordered through us. And here comes the wife with a medium-sized Kritter Keeper. I thought she might be planning on getting some feeder rats while she was there but no, poor woman thought she could fit 1000 crickets in a keeper that size. I balked when I heard my coworker had recommended that set-up to them! I sent them to the Walmart down the street for a proper, large bin.

But yes, too many crickets in a little container definitely is a hot mess! Lol it's terrible that they need as much space as they do, but otherwise they kill each other from their own stink.

I was just typing about your blog! Ill be up at 7am getting another huge plastic bin, I should take picture and post it, it's so bad. You cant see the apples or the crates. Im going to start a blog too. What "NOT" to do. This. Don't do this.

"The hot mess blog". My husband is going to kill me. There is 1/2 crickets everywhere. My 4 year old son though thinks I'm the coolest though. At least I'm scoring points with him, lol

I was watching tv and here comes one hopping across the floor.

so we could round them up, lift my hands and nothing is there!! Phantom crickets!!
I laughed.
I just ordered 1000 myself. (from ghanns, first time $26, I was going to buy from Carolinacrickets for $22ish but they don't do paypal :( )
I purchased 500 from ebay November 6th and I'm already on my last crickets! When I got them, a good bit were dead. I wished I could have counted the live ones but they were in a small box hopping everywhere and I had to get them in their new home! Is it possible to use 500 crickets in less than a month on ONE chameleon? Feeding him 10-15 a day????

I'm hoping a 18 gallon tube holds 1k of them!! I didn't tell anyone I ordered them yet. :p

Are superworms easy to breed..? I was at the Petsmart about a month ago when I first purchased my Chameleon and the employee told me not to buy them because if my chameleon doesn't eat the superworm all the way.. it'll eat through her ! D:! .. But I'd like to find other things to feed my chameleon that are easy. Thinking about silk worms for my next list. (though it says they need to be super clean and can die easily)

That is awesome that you have a cricket farm close to your home! That would save A LOT in costs!! I'd love to be right near one.

Superworms are easy but they have a trick to them. For example, they won't pupate into beetles when they're together, unlike mealworms. So you have to take the adult worms and put them in individual dark spaces, like little plastic cups in a closet for them to turn into beetles. But once you have beetles it's easy.

And the superworm eating through your pet is false :) it's just a myth that floats around persistently. Everyone seems to "know" a friend of a friend who says it happened to them but there's never any proof.

I had a guy at petsmart try to tell me that too. I told him that it was a myth and he got pretty nuts. Frita pooped a halfed digested butter worm today :( that's no good.

Back
Top Bottom