Cage size, eating habits, and enclosure upgrade.

Okay, so my question is, when is it okay to move my veiled from his small enclosure to his large one. There are many variables, that's why I need some opinions.

First, about my chameleon. He is approximately 3 months old. He took a very long time to start eating once I brought him home. I didn't see him eat for maybe a week. He won't hand feed, even using tongs. Also, he doesn't eat as much as I've read juveniles should. Maybe 7 crickets a day. He won't eat off the floor of his cage though. Crickets, or superworms from a dish.

His current enclosure is about 18"x8"x18". I figured it was better then his tiny cage at the pet store. His new enclosure is approx 4'x2'x8'.

So, given his eating history, and young age, I'm wondering if and when it will be safe to transfer him. Thanks for the help!

That's a really hard question to answer as it really depends on your little guy- I recently upgraded two of my 3 cages - My flapneck didn't have a problem with the move at all - and she was the shy one. The jackson seemed to get more stressed by the move. Sometimes they feel more comfortable in a big cage with lots of cover - since yours is eating out of a dish finding food isn't a problem. Finding him in a cage that big might be- Do you have room to keep both cages going at the same time? You might use the bigger cage as a "free range" for him and see how he does in it. Getting him back and forth between the two cages might be a challenge though.

What size crickets are you feeding him? If they are the tiny pinhead ones, I don't think he is eating enough. You may need to increase the feeding times and possibly add some other small feeders to his diet. Since he isn't eating much now, I would wait a while before moving him to the larger enclosure. I would recommend just allowing him to cup feed if that's what he wants to do. Don't try hand feeding or using tongs until he is a bit older and settled in.

Sorry, I guess my post was worded poorly. He will NOT eat from a dish. And he gets adult crickets. The dish food is super worms, and they go untouched.

If he's not eating his crickets from a cup I would not move him to an 8 foot tall cage - you might be able to put a divider in it -

You may want to try some medium sized crickets. Not sure, but the adults could be a bit too much for him.

Crix should be no longer than the width between the eyes, or there abouts. When feeding chams, the larger the prey, the longer to digest. Therefore, will digest smaller foods measuring the same quantity as larger meals faster. I.E. will grow faster. Veil babies sometimes don't eat like they do as subadults or adults. I notice my babies are outeaten by my panther babies by mile. That in mind, when the stomach kicks in on the veils 5-6 months, stand back and watch in awe. They put away food like a red lobster all u can eat, if allowed. Keep their temps at 80°, 85°, and one spot of about 87-88°f. The gradient will allow for them to make full digestive use as they need, not as you permit. They also need that temp drop at nite for proper metabolism. Make sure all prey is fed before feeding your cham. A crix allowed to run around for a day or two before being consumed, is basically like us eating a saltine cracker (no nutrition). Try some silkworms and hornedworms. Veils love 'em. Cagewise, make sure enclosure is not too large that he can't easily find food. 16x16x30" for 3-5 months. 18X18x36" for 6-8 months. 24X24x48" for adult. Give or take a month.

Back
Top Bottom