calcium and calcium with d3

Im no expert, but D3 is the vitamin that Chams use to help regulate calcium. They get it threw Natural Sunlight, UVB, and calcium with D3. Since the Sun is really the ultimate source of there D3 we have to give it to them via UVB and supplements. If we give them to much it will reverse the effects of why they need it. So in theory your giving them regular calcium to always make sure they have a strong bone structure and to prevent MBD, and for females it helps with egg development. The UVB bulb supplies a "fake" source for them to produce d3 to help regulate the calcium. But thats why you only give calcium with d3 2 times a month, if you have a uvb its not needed as much because like stated above, to much d3 is bad.

Too much D3 can also built up in their system and cause gout. If your chameleon gets a fair amount of outside time they probably don't need any D3 supplement at all.

What is the difference between the two? I know how often to give each but why? Just curious.
@BKO Overdrive is somewhat right about D3. D3 is used to process the calcium. Without a source of D3 the calcium you give is useless. The sun is the best source of D3 there is. So if your cham gets natural sunlight for a few hours each day then you don't need to give D3.

20160703_095318.jpg 20160701_165331.jpg 20160701_165118.jpg 20160701_165016.jpg Thanks. I've had mine for about 6 weeks. He is doing great and just started eating Dubias. He is loving them. I was out of town for a few weeks for work and had a friend feeding him. He gave my chameleon the calcium with D3 only. I started him back on the calcium today. Should I be concerned? How long to develop gout?

View attachment 161391 View attachment 161388 View attachment 161389 View attachment 161390 Thanks. I've had mine for about 6 weeks. He is doing great and just started eating Dubias. He is loving them. I was out of town for a few weeks for work and had a friend feeding him. He gave my chameleon the calcium with D3 only. I started him back on the calcium today. Should I be concerned? How long to develop gout?

I wouldn't give him any D3 for awhile. Does he go outside any? What kind of UV light does he have? If no outside time and a good UV light maybe wait a month to give him any D3 and then if no outside time go back to twice a month.

1467752430525.jpg I bring him outside on rare occasions if it's nice enough. I will bring him out more if it would help. The light I use is a 125w solar global.

Thanks for the advise.

View attachment 161391 View attachment 161388 View attachment 161389 View attachment 161390 Thanks. I've had mine for about 6 weeks. He is doing great and just started eating Dubias. He is loving them. I was out of town for a few weeks for work and had a friend feeding him. He gave my chameleon the calcium with D3 only. I started him back on the calcium today. Should I be concerned? How long to develop gout?

I agree with JannB--just stop giving anything with VitaminD in it for awhile. I avoid VitamnD completely because my species is very sensitive to supplements. It isn't necessary if your animal is getting exposure to enough UVB to manufacture its own Vitamin D.

Vitamin D is one of the few Vitamins that can be stored and it can build up to toxic levels, but what happened to your chameleon is not that situation. They cannot develop a toxic level of Vitamin D with natural sunlight, so don't short change him on real sunlight.

Too much D3 can also built up in their system and cause gout. If your chameleon gets a fair amount of outside time they probably don't need any D3 supplement at all.
Agreed. I have never given my Chameleons Calcium WITH D3 because i take them outside a few hours each week for natural sunlight, about 10 months out of the year.

My little guy had to much D3. I'm hoping that he will be okay. It's been only a week but I haven't noticed any problems with him. I'm going to hold off on giving him any D3 for a while. Is there any signs that I should keep an eye out for if there was a problem?

Back
Top Bottom