Can someone help me and my veiled, named Carmen

Nataliejohn

I think there may be something wrong with my chameleon, she is now 6months old.
Did a lot of research before getting her and look after her carefully, she is handled once a week at most but usually not even that, I feed her mealworms and hoppers and use a calcium supplement 2 times a week,

She does not seem herself at the moment she is usually on the branches on her cage or behind the plant, I have a heat lamp for her and a dripper, for her to drink,

I will attach pictures she is slumped at the bottom of her cage(not on her side) she hasn't moved for about 6 hours and I have tried to feed her and she won't eat, I'm not sure if she is just about to lay eggs but I have been searching the Internet for answers and I was hoping somebody could help. Her eyes are also rarely moving around she is just staring and sometimes will move one eye.

Thankyou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 157
Your Chameleon - She is a veiled chameleon, female, 6 months old, have had her for 4 months.
Handling - Less than once a week as she gets stressed
Feeding - Feed her every morning and night mealworms hoppers and small brown crickets also use calcium supplement once a week
Supplements - currently using nutrobal supplement 1/2 a week
Watering - Use a dripper which drips through the mesh on her cage and a misting spray to help humidity.
Fecal Description - Brown stools seem normal.
History - has never seemed ill before.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Her cage is glass and mesh at the top by exoterra, don't know exact dimensions but isn't huge hoping to get a bigger one soon.
Lighting - She has a light at the top of her cage do not know the brand but was reccomended to us by a pet store, turn on in morning and off in evening.
Temperature - Temperature is usually and currently around 80 degrees,
Humidity - Humididty levels around 70 and we have a stick on meter , mist to keep humidity.
Plants - A small plant is in the centure so Carmen can hide, do not know kind of plant but this was also reccomended to me.
Placement - Cage is in a spear bedroom so she is not constantly around people, not near any fans or windows and the room is quite warm.
Location - I am currently living in Cardiff, Wales, UK.

Your Chameleon - She is a veiled chameleon, female, 6 months old, have had her for 4 months.
Handling - Less than once a week as she gets stressed
Feeding - Feed her every morning and night mealworms hoppers and small brown crickets also use calcium supplement once a week
Supplements - currently using nutrobal supplement 1/2 a week
Watering - Use a dripper which drips through the mesh on her cage and a misting spray to help humidity.
Fecal Description - Brown stools seem normal.
History - has never seemed ill before.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Her cage is glass and mesh at the top by exoterra, don't know exact dimensions but isn't huge hoping to get a bigger one soon.
Lighting - She has a light at the top of her cage do not know the brand but was reccomended to us by a pet store, turn on in morning and off in evening.
Temperature - Temperature is usually and currently around 80 degrees,
Humidity - Humididty levels around 70 and we have a stick on meter , mist to keep humidity.
Plants - A small plant is in the centure so Carmen can hide, do not know kind of plant but this was also reccomended to me.
Placement - Cage is in a spear bedroom so she is not constantly around people, not near any fans or windows and the room is quite warm.
Location - I am currently living in Cardiff, Wales, UK.

At 6 months she could be carrying eggs. Do you have a laying bin in her viv for her to lay? It needs to be at least 12 inches deep filled with play sand and soil. It needs to be moist enough for her to burrow and it not collaps. Is her light a uv or a basking light? You are giving her nutrabol once or twice a week, she needs plain calcium without d3 daily and nutrabol once or twice a week. You need to mist at least 3-4 times daily in order for to drink. Do you see her drink?

Yeah it is currently filled with moist sand will measure it to check it is deep enough , and she has a basking light in her cage which she usually loves being near, she doesn't have a uv light does she need one of those also? I will go and purchase a plain calcium tomorrow as shops are closed now, I do see her drink and I most regularly, thanks for your help. I will post another photo now as her arm is above her head and I am very worried. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 171
Hi Nataliejohn and welcome to the forum!
Sorry that your cham isn't well.

Your cham hasn't been getting enough calcium, so this is at least part of her troubles.
Typically, a Veiled cham should have her feeders dusted with calcium every day.
I'm not sure how often Nutrobal should be given to chams.
In addition, she absolutely needs a light that provides enough UVB, because this enables her body to be able to absorb the calcium that she gets.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Here is excellent info by a veterinarian, about calcium deficiency and how to remedy it--which is often simply called MBD:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

It is also very possible that she needs to lay eggs and here is a great link to how to setup a laying bin:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

If she does not improve with a laying bin, additional calcium and a UVB bulb, then she will need a reptile-knowledgeable vet to evaluate her and possibly give her calcium injections.

I'm not a Veiled keeper but I know that these caresheets are very good:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
and
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Yeah it is currently filled with moist sand will measure it to check it is deep enough , and she has a basking light in her cage which she usually loves being near, she doesn't have a uv light does she need one of those also? I will go and purchase a plain calcium tomorrow as shops are closed now, I do see her drink and I most regularly, thanks for your help. I will post another photo now as her arm is above her head and I am very worried. :(

A uv light is vital for calcium formation in her bones and muscles. It sounds as if she has not being getting any from that source and not enough from supplements. If she has eggs she may have problems laying. I would try and correct that , keep a close eye on her and be prepared to find a reptile vet should you need it. Some one here use a 5% uv strip light placed on the top of the viv. I also use nutrabol the same as you but at every feed I dust with Komodo cricket dust. There are lots out there to choose from. Can you post more pics when you can as it is possible she has the start of mbd. ( metabolic bone disease) this can be halted with the correct supplements. I'm so glad you found us. Please keep posting, you will get lots of answers here.:)

Hi Nataliejohn and welcome to the forum!
Sorry that your cham isn't well.

Your cham hasn't been getting enough calcium, so this is at least part of her troubles.
Typically, a Veiled cham should have her feeders dusted with calcium every day.
I'm not sure how often Nutrobal should be given to chams.
In addition, she absolutely needs a light that provides enough UVB, because this enables her body to be able to absorb the calcium that she gets.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Here is excellent info by a veterinarian, about calcium deficiency and how to remedy it--which is often simply called MBD:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

It is also very possible that she needs to lay eggs and here is a great link to how to setup a laying bin:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

If she does not improve with a laying bin, additional calcium and a UVB bulb, then she will need a reptile-knowledgeable vet to evaluate her and possibly give her calcium injections.

I'm not a Veiled keeper but I know that these caresheets are very good:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
and
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html
Thankyou for all of that information I will read through it carefully she just tried walking and fell off a branch I think a calcium deficiency may be occurring, I will be going to a shop tomorrow to get the equipment. I hope that she is upset and I am very worried it is now 10pm so I have just turned her light off for her to sleep.

Yellow means she is a bit dehydrated, has she acted weird before hanging out at the bottom?
She has been lying acros branches the past few days but I thought she was comfortable like that but I have kept an eye on her and she can barely grip onto anything :(

A uv light is vital for calcium formation in her bones and muscles. It sounds as if she has not being getting any from that source and not enough from supplements. If she has eggs she may have problems laying. I would try and correct that , keep a close eye on her and be prepared to find a reptile vet should you need it. Some one here use a 5% uv strip light placed on the top of the viv. I also use nutrabol the same as you but at every feed I dust with Komodo cricket dust. There are lots out there to choose from. Can you post more pics when you can as it is possible she has the start of mbd. ( metabolic bone disease) this can be halted with the correct supplements. I'm so glad you found us. Please keep posting, you will get lots of answers here.:)
Thank you, I will be posting more pictures tomorrow and I will sort her calcium out along with her uv light and lay bin, thank you very much for your help, I'm glad this could be corrected as I keep checking on her because I'm worried and I hate to Seeger struggling to move, I also do not want to handle her encase she gets distressed, I will keep posting and appreciate everyone's help, Natalie x

if you can post some better pics of her and particularly her limbs, that would be helpful. Being deprived on uvb for 4 months along with not enough calcium, she has problably developed MBD(metabolic bone disease). Not being able to grip, falling, gripping their front legs with the back, and curvy limbs are all sign of the disease.

It's quite late for her to be awake. I try to mimic the sun( that's if we had any) my lights go on at 7 am and off at 7 pm. If she is likely to fall you could put some towels on the floor to make it a softer landing. Another tip - not all pet shops are knowledgable as you will learn on here.:)

She needs a UVB light to absorb vitamin D into her skin other wise she could have a calcium defficiency.

if you can post some better pics of her and particularly her limbs, that would be helpful. Being deprived on uvb for 4 months along with not enough calcium, she has problably developed MBD(metabolic bone disease). Not being able to grip, falling, gripping their front legs with the back, and curvy limbs are all sign of the disease.
Turns out it is a UVB light and not a basking light as I thought, but I heard basking lights are also important so I will be going to buy her one of those, she is currently in her laying bin which the sand in is moist, she hasn't moved since she has been in there, I have left her alone encase she does want to lay eggs and I have dug a hole in the sand. Also the light on top is a repti glow 10 bulb. Does it look like she has mbd? And do you know the cost of vet treatment. Thankyou :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 107
Im on my phone right now so hopefully someone will help with mbd question. Dont buy a specific basking bulb as an ordinary household one will do. If she has mbd and she may not have, it cant be cured but it can be stopped and with the right supplements the condition can improve. Cant tell you about vets bills im afraid.

Back
Top Bottom