Can someone help me and my veiled, named Carmen

It looks and sounds like she has MBD, IMHO.
MBD can also cause a female to be unable to lay her eggs for a number of reasons and not laying her eggs can also be fatal.
Realistically, the best chance for her to recover her health is a good vet who knows reptile medicine.
A competent vet can get her onto the path to recovery faster than home treatments, as a vet can administer calcium injections.

There is a vet in Cardiff who has received good reviews by reptile owners on Herpvetconnection.
Perhaps he can examine her.

Mark Evans
Valley Vets Ltd
180 Merthyr Road
Cardiff CF14 1DL

+44-02920-529-444

Calciworms are a high calcium feeder and they're widely available in the UK--a quick google search yields a number of sellers.
It's good that she has a UVB light so she was able to absorb the little calcium she received but she does indeed need far more calcium than she was getting.
Calcium every feeding is necessary.
Tthe reason for this is that many of the feeder insects commonly available are too high in phosphorus and too low in calcium.

UVB bulbs do need to be replaced every 6 months because although they still light up well, they stop emitting enough UVB for your cham.

Here is a similar case of MBD that had a happy outcome after calcium injections and plenty of home care:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-female-mbd-possible-constipation-67257/

Yea i second the vet visit quickly! She quite possibly could have a number of things ailing her. If she is calcium deficient and is also holding eggs this can cause a very sticky situation. She will have a very hard time laying if she even has the strength/bone or egg structure to do so. Its like each problem compounds the other and works against each other. Not saying she cant make a recovery from home but i would feel a lot better with a vet visit if she were mine.

It looks and sounds like she has MBD, IMHO.
MBD can also cause a female to be unable to lay her eggs for a number of reasons and not laying her eggs can also be fatal.
Realistically, the best chance for her to recover her health is a good vet who knows reptile medicine.
A competent vet can get her onto the path to recovery faster than home treatments, as a vet can administer calcium injections.

There is a vet in Cardiff who has received good reviews by reptile owners on Herpvetconnection.
Perhaps he can examine her.

Mark Evans
Valley Vets Ltd
180 Merthyr Road
Cardiff CF14 1DL

+44-02920-529-444

Calciworms are a high calcium feeder and they're widely available in the UK--a quick google search yields a number of sellers.
It's good that she has a UVB light so she was able to absorb the little calcium she received but she does indeed need far more calcium than she was getting.
Calcium every feeding is necessary.
Tthe reason for this is that many of the feeder insects commonly available are too high in phosphorus and too low in calcium.

UVB bulbs do need to be replaced every 6 months because although they still light up well, they stop emitting enough UVB for your cham.

Here is a similar case of MBD that had a happy outcome after calcium injections and plenty of home care:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-female-mbd-possible-constipation-67257/

Thanks for your help, I also think a vet is best but I don't get paid till Friday so will give them a ring and arrange something, she seems to be climbing a bit more now but had to force feed her as she hasn't eaten, I have bought her new supplements and have ordered a bulb which should arrive soon, she still isn't herself though as her legs are wobbling, I will be posting more pictures tonight of her limbs to see if anyone has any advice for what to do until she goes to visit the vet, her skin is also wrinkled when she turns on an angle whilst trying to climb.

Do you think it is ok to force feed a Cham if they are not eating?
Or should I leave her with food in her cage because she should eat if she is hungry.

Appreciate everybody's help very much :)

Very glad you'll get her to the vet.
Many vets will make payment arrangements when you speak with them in advance.
the sooner she can be seen the better, as you're probably already aware.
If she is not eating, then the crickets will probably bite her if you leave them in the cage---and they most likely won't have any calcium on them by the time she eats them.
Hopefully, you noticed that the daily calcium should not contain any D3.
D3 is for 2x a month use only--more often than that will typically cause serious health problems

Wrinkled skin, like yellow urates, is a sign of dehydration.
You can offer her more water by misting more often, misting longer , using a dripper to drip water on the plant leaves or using an eyedropper to drip water onto the tip of her nose.

If you read the Ferretinmyshoes post that I provided earlier, it answers more of your questions.
The liquid calcium referred to in that post does not contain any other minerals.
It is like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcionate-...G29O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361216079&sr=8-1
It is made for human use, so your local chemist may have it, if needed.

Please keep us up to date on her.

Very glad you'll get her to the vet.
Many vets will make payment arrangements when you speak with them in advance.
the sooner she can be seen the better, as you're probably already aware.
If she is not eating, then the crickets will probably bite her if you leave them in the cage---and they most likely won't have any calcium on them by the time she eats them.
Hopefully, you noticed that the daily calcium should not contain any D3.
D3 is for 2x a month use only--more often than that will typically cause serious health problems

Wrinkled skin, like yellow urates, is a sign of dehydration.
You can offer her more water by misting more often, misting longer , using a dripper to drip water on the plant leaves or using an eyedropper to drip water onto the tip of her nose.

If you read the Ferretinmyshoes post that I provided earlier, it answers more of your questions.
The liquid calcium referred to in that post does not contain any other minerals.
It is like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcionate-...G29O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361216079&sr=8-1
It is made for human use, so your local chemist may have it, if needed.

Please keep us up to date on her.
She does have use of her jaw at the moment but won't eat unless forced, and she can chew.
We are currently keeping her in her lay bin which is a large bucket outside of her cage her uv lamp is on top but turned off as its night time for her, it is at least 12 inches deep in sand but she is just lying there, I have bought the calcium, just hope she is ok.
She will be seeing a vet as soon as I can possibly sort it,
Is there anything I can do to help her out for now, I am keeping her in the bin as it is very insulated and warm inside, I have put a few sticks in to make her feel at home,
She seems to be moving around though a bit more do I need to do anything else, I may be just being paranoid, but I don't want her getting worse before I take her to a vet.

I would also ask if anyone has any experiences with mbd and what the vet did to solve it?

Back
Top Bottom