Can someone please help me my chameleon leg is broken and idk what to do she’s is 8 months old

You will really need to see a good chameleon vet to help you with this…but this is likely how it will go…the calcium, phos, D3 and proper vitamin A will all need to be brought into balance again and kept there while additional liquid calcium, etc are given to make the bones and muscles, etc strong again.

Once the bones, etc are strong again, the chameleon should be put back on the schedule we recommend to keep it so the MBD won’t occur again.
Proper UVB light will also have to be provided during the recovery and once it’s recovered too.

Can I ask how ole you are please, so I can explain things well enough that you will understand?

A
You will really need to see a good chameleon vet to help you with this…but this is likely how it will go…the calcium, phos, D3 and proper vitamin A will all need to be brought into balance again and kept there while additional liquid calcium, etc are given to make the bones and muscles, etc strong again.

Once the bones, etc are strong again, the chameleon should be put back on the schedule we recommend to keep it so the MBD won’t occur again.
Proper UVB light will also have to be provided during the recovery and once it’s recovered too.

Can I ask how ole you are please, so I can explain things well enough that you will understand?
im 14 year old I’m buying calcium today and d3 for her and vitamin A her for I’m using my money I can to save her 🙏

Can I still heal the mbd or I’m I just to late for her I’m sorrryyy I feel soo baddd

The insects we use as feeders are not the same ones the chameleons would get in the wild, so the nutrient amounts aren’t the same either…especially the calcium to phos ratio…so we dust with phos free calcium at all feedings but 2x’s a month. For those 2 feedings we use a vitamin powder with a D3 and preformed source of vitamin A in it and we gutload/feed the insects well so they are healthy for the chameleon to help the chameleon get the right balance of nutrients.
(Right now, the balance may have to be different to bring things back into balance…then changed to this once the MBD is corrected.)

We also have to provide UVB light so that the chameleon can produce D3 to be able to use the calcium in its system. The UVB can come from direct sunlight or from the UVB lights we provide. The two most often recommended are the Arcadia 6% and the Reptisun 5.0….long linear tube lights. The D3 we use twice a month is just insurance…to make sure the chameleon gets some and leaving it to produce the rest of the D3 from the UVB lights.

Vitamin A and D3 need to be in balance too. D3 (fat soluble) comes from the preformed found in the vitamins, etc and the type that can be produced as needed by the body from the sunlight or UVB lights. D3, from supplements is ready to go…so it can build up in the system and lead to an overdose…and thus, health issues. D3 from the lights and sun should not build up as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the sunlight at will.
Vitamin A (fat soluble) comes in two forms…from carotenes (from veggie sources) which are converted by the body as needed and Preformed vitamin A (from animal sources) is the second source and it can build up in the system and lead to overdoses.
To further complicate things, it’s not proven whether all/some/no chameleons can convert carotenes or not….so we cautiously use the preformed type twice a month as insurance.

A

im 14 year old I’m buying calcium today and d3 for her and vitamin A her for I’m using my money I can to save her 🙏
Buy a phos free calcium powder and vitamin powder such as reptivite that has D3 and preformed vitamin A in it. The chameleon needs other vitamins too.

Buy a phos free calcium powder and vitamin powder such as reptivite that has D3 and preformed vitamin A in it. The chameleon needs other vitamins too.
Would this calcium be good for her ?

Attachments

• IMG_5434.png
    IMG_5434.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 8
That is calcium with d3. there is another one by the same brand without d3 that is the one you need. You will also need a multivitamin with d3 to use twice a month. I use reptivite.
Would this be good for her ?

Attachments

• IMG_5435.png
    IMG_5435.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 9
Hello, I am sorry you and your girl are going through this. I am also in Utah, if I can help with anything please let me know. Dr. Lofgren sees my chameleons as well and has had chameleons before. I would recommend going to her if she is close enough for the drive. She should be in the office today if I remember correctly.
Okay thank you for the information but might go with the option to take her to a reptile rescue facility I don’t got the money to take her to a really good reptile vet

Okay thank you for the information but might go with the option to take her to a reptile rescue facility I don’t got the money to take her to a really good reptile vet
In this extreme of a case and with you being so young I would highly recommend finding a rescue that will take her in and get her the needed medical care. This is honestly an expensive animal to keep due to everything it needs but medical care for something like this will be on going and cost quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom