Cham eyes!!

nyahhamilton

So my baby Camo has been closing one eye alot.. he is eating fine and I dust his crickets twice a mouth... the humidity of his cage is around 60-80 and the temp has been 70-90... I was so scared so i did some research and came to fine that a shower would be a good idea so i did that and he seemed to enjoy it but he is still closing it.. is it normal..should i go to the vet please help!!

1. It is not normal. I saw a story about a Cham getting bit near the eye by a mealworm, something like that could have happened but I don't know a lot about other reasons so I could be wrong. Is the any small mark or difference in how the eye looks compared to the other?

2. By "dust his crickets twice a month" I am guessing you mean with multivitamin. Make sure to dust with calcium every feeding, and to use calcium with D3.

Closing one eye a lot could be a few things. It could be some debris in there causing discomfort or signs of infection. I would try to do a bit of extra misting and see if it helps, but keep a close watch on it. If it continues you may need to consider a vet visit. What is your supplement schedule like?
Make sure to dust with calcium every feeding, and to use calcium with D3.
Calcium with no D3 every feeding, with D3 twice a month for a veiled.

If you fill out the "How to ask for Help" info we may be able to get a better idea about what is going on. As it states, pictures are helpful.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Could be vitamin a issue as well depending on your gutloads and supplement routine. Vet is only way to know for sure, I would take it for an examination if problem persists.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, 8 mouths almost 9. He has it been in my care for 8 mouths and 4 days..
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week...
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?Meal-worms and crickets.. What amount?10-12 What is the schedule? 5-6 when I wake up (8:30-9:00) and after i get ready about 4 (10:00-11:00)AM..
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?I'm unsure of the name because i need to run to the store to get more soon i think the one i have been using had zoo inn the name.. How often and how long to you mist? 4 times a day... and once sometimes twice if i have the fogger is going.. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yeah sometimes im not always on the watch though..
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Black..white.. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no..):
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. sorry i have nothing.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage... screen. What are the dimensions? 3*2*2
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?Once again i dont know the name of it but it has zoo in it.. What is your daily lighting schedule? About 10-12 hours of ubv light and the night time heat lamp is on 24\7
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?75-93 Lowest overnight temp?72 How do you measure these temps? i have two thermometers..
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?60-80 How are you creating and maintaining these levels? fogger mister.. they come one when the humidity drops though i dont have them going at night because he gets woken up. What do you use to measure humidity? im unsure what it is called but i also have my mister and fogger that lets me know...
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no sadly i only have fake plants right know.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? in my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?NO. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?3 maybe 4 feet..
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Tacoma Washington

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. the eyes but i am having him get looked at by a pro reptile vet as soon as he gets back into town.. this tues the july 26th

Just a qick comment so far, but don't have the light on at night. No heat bulb is necessary. I'll take a look more closely later and see if there are more tips.

The main thing I see is that you have a heat light on at night. Like @Decadancin said, it is not necessary. And the light disrupts their sleep and could be part of why he is having trouble with his eyes.

Also, do you have a UVB light?

• "Location - Where are you geographically located? Tacoma Washington
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. the eyes but i am having him get looked at by a pro reptile vet as soon as he gets back into town.. this tues the july 26th"

I live in Olympia! Who is your reptile vet? Have you taken your cham to him before? Thanks!

Just a qick comment so far, but don't have the light on at night. No heat bulb is necessary. I'll take a look more closely later and see if there are more tips.
The main thing I see is that you have a heat light on at night. Like @Decadancin said, it is not necessary. And the light disrupts their sleep and could be part of why he is having trouble with his eyes.

Also, do you have a UVB light?

yes i have a uvb and i have a night time heat lamp....

• "Location - Where are you geographically located? Tacoma Washington
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. the eyes but i am having him get looked at by a pro reptile vet as soon as he gets back into town.. this tues the july 26th"

I live in Olympia! Who is your reptile vet? Have you taken your cham to him before? Thanks!
I forgot his name..he is at jones animal hospital it is awesome they are very proffecinal(;Yeah i have taken him there before(y):p

yes i have a uvb and i have a night time heat lamp....

Turn the heat off at night. He doesn't need it. It's beyond warm enough around here ( I've been just sleeping with a sheet), even in winter you normally won't need one unless you don't ever turn your heat on.

Turn the heat off at night. He doesn't need it. It's beyond warm enough around here ( I've been just sleeping with a sheet), even in winter you normally won't need one unless you don't ever turn your heat on.

Oh, my goodness. You're from Washington, too! Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom