CHAM Life Expectancy/span in Captivity when properly cared for

misstrixie

I have been looking for an answer to this question and I didn't see it posted anywhere on the forum - at least not anytime recently:

How long do Chameleons live in captivity when taken care of properly/perfectly?

I asked a pet store and they told me 2 years- but then that didn't sound right to me, as many of you on here seem to have had yours much longer than that (And I am certain the pet store doesn't take good care of theirs either). 2 years seemed too short to invest so much money into it as well.

Could someone maybe put a chart up of the popular chameleon pet breeds/species and how long they tend (most generally) to live for in captivity?
I am certain it varies as it is directly correlated to care but there must be a number or span of numbers?
Like 2-5 years or something??

Depends on the chameleon. Some will only go a few years like carpets and others live as long as some dogs.

Depends on the chameleon. Some will only go a few years like carpets and others live as long as some dogs.

true. Type of chameleon makes a big difference. Husbandry is also going to play a big role, but so will genetics and so will chance /bad luck.

My oldest male panthers lived to 7, and another forum member had one that was 8. I've had other males live only a little over 5 years. So I suppose 5-8 is the expected range.
Female panthers dont live as long as the males, in my experience usually 4-5 years.

I know members here have had female veileds that have lived well over 6 years. Food and temperature play a part in lifespan. 7-10 is possible for a male.

I believe Fischer's can easily live to be over 5.

Parsonii easly over 10, and I believe 20 isnt unbelievable.

Jacksonii often only live around 4 years average, but a few make it to as old as 9. Temps likely play a role in this.

I read that Furcifer labordi live less than 6 months.

Last edited:
Thanks sandrachameleon for the detailed info from your vast experience & knowledge.

Yes I forgot about GENETICS too, and bad/good luck.

So, In General, Females Chams don't live as long as males then too in all or most of the different species?

So, In General, Females Chams don't live as long as males then too in all or most of the different species?

Generally, ya. Im thinking that females live shorter lives primarily due to breeding, and that those that dont breed and are kept such that they dont lay eggs will live nearly as long as males.

No, I just have not had one live that long. My longest lived was Spike who was 2 1/2. My current Fischer's is showing signs of decline and he's 2. I was wondering if it was an issue that could be addressed or him just getting old.

No, I just have not had one live that long. My longest lived was Spike who was 2 1/2. My current Fischer's is showing signs of decline and he's 2. I was wondering if it was an issue that could be addressed or him just getting old.

Sorry to hear he's showing signs of decline. :(

Clearly Either I read wrong, or I remembered wrong.
You're the one with experience, so without hesitation I retract my suggestion of 5 years. thanks for the correction.

Sandra, I believe K. matschiei live 5+ years(at least from what little we know),I think that may be what your thinking of. I do know that Cnortons eldest male, is estimated to be seven years old.
As far as the life expectancy of K. multi, member Seeco would be the go to guy on that. He has worked extensively with them for quite a while now

Like the others have said, it is species dependent. But there is always exceptions to the rule so you just never know!

The oldest panther I know of lived 9 years and there was a veild on here that was 13 and I believe still alive when the member posted about it.

Sorry to hear he's showing signs of decline. :(

Clearly Either I read wrong, or I remembered wrong.
You're the one with experience, so without hesitation I retract my suggestion of 5 years. thanks for the correction.

Oh, no! I'm not the expert on this at all. The one I have now is only my third. The first, as I said, I had 2 1/2 years, he was a WC adult when I got him. The second was a female and that's just a classic train wreck of stupid ownership story....this guy was a CB 7 month old when I got him a year and a half ago. He was a bit of a runt. I've caught him with eyes closed a couple of times. Since then, I've been keeping him outside as much as possible and that seems to have helped some. I suspect there might be a mold issue in the room they live in.

Sandra, I believe K. matschiei live 5+ years(at least from what little we know),I think that may be what your thinking of. I do know that Cnortons eldest male, is estimated to be seven years old.
As far as the life expectancy of K. multi, member Seeco would be the go to guy on that. He has worked extensively with them for quite a while now

Like the others have said, it is species dependent. But there is always exceptions to the rule so you just never know!

Hopefully Seeco will see this and help clarify things.

Oh, no! I'm not the expert on this at all. The one I have now is only my third. The first, as I said, I had 2 1/2 years, he was a WC adult when I got him. The second was a female and that's just a classic train wreck of stupid ownership story....this guy was a CB 7 month old when I got him a year and a half ago. He was a bit of a runt. I've caught him with eyes closed a couple of times. Since then, I've been keeping him outside as much as possible and that seems to have helped some. I suspect there might be a mold issue in the room they live in.

Hopefully Seeco will see this and help clarify things.

I hope its not mold - that would possibly be a pain to get rid of.

I'll send Seeco a pm and invite comment. :)

Well I have but I am financialy motivated to sell them all before their reproductive life has really even started. I'll only keep them for a year or first clutch if eggs, whichever comes first.

The Kammerflage website pictures a K. multituberculata looking solid at NINE years old so I'm gonna say 15 YEARS is a very safe estimate. Females must live shorter lives.

If I ever "quit" I will probably keep one male and one female and put it to the test.

Back
Top Bottom