Cham won't eat veggies or fruits :(

pascal12412

My cham is over a year old now and is very stubborn all he will eat is bugs and he seems to go on strikes a lot because that's all he will eat even though he has a wide variety of bugs offered to him... I would love for him to eat some fruits and veggies but he just turns his nose up at everything I offer to him.... I have offered fruits and veggies to him since he was a baby so it's not new to him..How can I get him to eat them?

What kind of Cham do you have? Most chams do not eat fruits or veggies. Some Veilds will eat them occasionally but chances are if he is not eating them at this point, he probably never will.

If you really want to get him eating some, you can put some greens, cut into small pieces in a feeder cup with some bugs. He may get some with the bugs, and even eventually he might even eat them from the dish by choice.

He is a veiled... I just see so many other peoples veiled eating fruits and veggies and loving it... I just feel like he missing out on key nutrition that he should get and I would like him to eat them so be doesn't get as bored with his bugs.. Because I hate seeing him hungry because he's stubborn...

I assume you mean a veiled cham!?

If nothing else, they nearly always go for Romain.

I run a leaf of it under water and tare off bite sized pieces and hand feed them.
Either of my veiled chams will eat any fruit, except blueberries.

Try experimenting with different looking leaves - like Psychobunny said, they often go for big, leafy veggies, not so much littler fruits.

I wouldn't stress out over it; sometimes, chameleons will graze on foliage, sometimes, they won't. They know what they need :)

-Jen

He already eats the romaine just fine when I offer it to him.. it's just not very much nutrition.... I'd like him to eat some more healthier things .... I'll will try the bigger leaves he may like that :)

Try thin strips of sweet red pepper, zucchini and yellow squash, apple, pear, melon...but go easy on the fruit.

My veiled won't eat anything that does not move.... I have tried fruits and veggies and he will not touch them- in fact if the veggie is red he goes into full on ninja attack mode. :eek: As long as you gut load your feeders properly your cham will be fine.

He already eats the romaine just fine when I offer it to him.. it's just not very much nutrition.... I'd like him to eat some more healthier things .... I'll will try the bigger leaves he may like that :)

It's not just the nutrition, veileds get a lot of the water they need from leafy green veggies, esp. durring droughts in Yemen, they hunt for fruits and veggies for the water.

I have just stared regularly feeding my male veiled fruit and veg. I kind of tricked him the first time by offering it from the tongs I use for feeding his bugs. He's soo greedy he just jumped right in and grabbed the apple. After that now he will go find the bits I leave dotted about his tank and he seems to enjoy them. My last two veiled's however would never touch the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom