Chameleon and their food preferences

BleuSaphir

Chameleon Enthusiast
What good preference have you notice of what your chameleon prefers? And what they seen to be less keen on?

I notice this-
Superworms
Locust
Crickets
Those are definitely his favorites. He will gladly eat them even if they are dead.

Hornworms I notice he didn’t really gravitate so easily. He seems attractive to their color. But if given the choice-the other three. Especially I have notice multiple of times. Superworms are the first to be preyed in the cup. Later he will eat hornworm. It was the same with crickets. All dead.

Unknown:
Roaches- Just received in the mail. I will see how Namul react to the Dubia roaches.
Silkworms -I still need to order from FramChams.
BSFL-I will know in the next order cycle.

Last edited:
So just to note feeding dead insects is not recommended. You want hydrated alive proper gutloaded insects.

Preference totally is cham dependent. Some will gladly accept anything while others will be more picky. You do have to be cautious with some feeders as they will become addicted and refuse other options. We see this more commonly when they pass the 8 month mark.

With hornworms and superworms make sure you are feeding smaller these both have an intense bite which can lead to mouth rot.

I think all my chameleons have preferences.....

Bilbo (Xanth) - by far his favorite bug is BSFL, all flies and then I would say any other kind of worm type bug like a super worm or wax worm.
Kitty Kat (veiled) - she seems to love and rush over to literally ANYTHING so its hard for me to say what is her favorite bug...I think any food for her is a fav!
Treebeard (panther) - crickets, hoppers and super worms. He will not touch a roach for any reason.
Jabba (OE parsons) - crickets, super worms, dubia and then following closely behind are hoppers.

So just to note feeding dead insects is not recommended. You want hydrated alive proper gutloaded insects.

Preference totally is cham dependent. Some will gladly accept anything while others will be more picky. You do have to be cautious with some feeders as they will become addicted and refuse other options. We see this more commonly when they pass the 8 month mark.

With hornworms and superworms make sure you are feeding smaller these both have an intense bite which can lead to mouth rot.
I know most chameleons do not associate much dead insects as prey. I’m only making note to my surprise. It was emergency to buy food. I specifically told my brother to buy live insect for me while I get ready for work. By the time he gets home. It my time to commute. Weather here is still hot. We had heat wave warning last two weeks. My brother left the purchases in the trunk of the car with high temperatures.

I know most chameleons do not associate much dead insects as prey. I’m only making note to my surprise. It was emergency to buy food. I specifically told my brother to buy live insect for me while I get ready for work. By the time he gets home. It my time to commute. Weather here is still hot. We had heat wave warning last two weeks. My brother left the purchases in the trunk of the car with high temperatures.
If they are hungry they will go for anything. Dead insects just are not the same compared to live food. I figured this was a situation of you had no choice. But I wanted to make sure I mentioned that it is not recommended for anyone else reading your thread.

If they are hungry they will go for anything. Dead insects just are not the same compared to live food. I figured this was a situation of you had no choice. But I wanted to make sure I mentioned that it is not recommended for anyone else reading your thread.
Yes, it an emergency situation. Friday I will have reorder new set of food. I should have never bought 50 Dubia roach. They go by quick. The price is definitely better than buying at petsmart with more quantity.

Yes, it an emergency situation. Friday I will have reorder new set of food. I should have never bought 50 Dubia roach. They go by quick. The price is definitely better than buying at petsmart with more quantity.
Yep buying a lot and tracking how many your going through is helpful with a young one.

I think the actual bug size also helps determine the preference. My male gets grossed out with big dubias but loves the small-medium sized ones.
Beastmodesilkworms are a great value. And to me are the easiest to care for. And my chameleons also love the bsfl from the fluckers website.. I think it’s the media that they’re shipped in.🤷🏻‍♂️
But I think the #1 spot goes to grasshoppers. Followed closely by superworms.👌🏼

Attachments

• IMG_3416.png
    IMG_3416.png
    729.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 5
I think the actual bug size also helps determine the preference. My male gets grossed out with big dubias but loves the small-medium sized ones.
Beastmodesilkworms are a great value. And to me are the easiest to care for. And my chameleons also love the bsfl from the fluckers website.. I think it’s the media that they’re shipped in.🤷🏻‍♂️
But I think the #1 spot goes to grasshoppers. Followed closely by superworms.👌🏼
Adorable!!!

Yep buying a lot and tracking how many you’re going through is helpful with a young one.
I order way more than I think I will actually need so I don’t have to worry about paying for shipping or running out quickly. I buy 2,000 crickets at a time for my 4 chameleons for example. I have two bins I keep my crickets in, then when one bin is gone I order 1,000 more crickets. That way I anlwsys have a bin of crickets And my last order of super worms I think was 500, buy them slightly smaller so they last longer. I super stock up before really hot/cold months to hopefully avoid having bugs arrive DOA.

I order way more than I think I will actually need so I don’t have to worry about paying for shipping or running out quickly. I buy 2,000 crickets at a time for my 4 chameleons for example. I have two bins I keep my crickets in, then when one bin is gone I order 1,000 more crickets. That way I anlwsys have a bin of crickets And my last order of super worms I think was 500, buy them slightly smaller so they last longer. I super stock up before really hot/cold months to hopefully avoid having bugs arrive DOA.
Dang! You buy a ton of feeders! I should probably be ordering as many, but I’m afraid of keeping more than 500 crickets per bin.

@BleuSaphir you might want to think about starting a roach colony. They’re super easy and you’ll never worry about running out of feeders. Also, some of the vendors have automatic delivery that you can sign up for.

How long does your supply last?
That my thing, I don’t want to order so much of what I have to feed where my supply becomes overwhelming either.

Dang! You buy a ton of feeders! I should probably be ordering as many, but I’m afraid of keeping more than 500 crickets per bin.

@BleuSaphir you might want to think about starting a roach colony. They’re super easy and you’ll never worry about running out of feeders. Also, some of the vendors have automatic delivery that you can sign up for.
I know my husband gets so mad at me. Low key I do it so IF I talk him into another one I can say ‘I have enough defers’. Also I’m super paranoid of running out so it’s my safety net I suppose.

I’m also working on breeding my bugs. That might be a good option for you too @BleuSaphir

How long does your supply last?
That my thing, I don’t want to order so much of what I have to feed where my supply becomes overwhelming either.
True. I built up my stock piles over time. In the beginning I just bought crickets weekly and had a small batch of meal worms. Then as I expanded my variety of bugs I just did it one at a time, learned about their care and now I have a billion bugs. I also built up my routine for bug care over time too so it doesn’t feel like a lot.

Breeding roaches easy? If not I will be ordering every time when supply run low. There’s always Petsmart for emergency.

Breeding roaches easy? If not I will be ordering every time when supply run low. There’s always Petsmart for emergency.
Super easy. Get a smooth sided bin & add some ventilation to the lid. Dubias are poor climbers and don’t fly. Add some egg flats for them, fresh produce and keep around 90F. Ratio of at least 1 male per 3-5 females is best. Before you know it you’ll be seeing tiny nymphs. May take a few months to get established. Nymphs will eat frass (poo). I keep my discoids with about 1-2” organic soil, springtails & isopods for better breeding and less maintenance.

Yep, when I have young chams I order 500 crickets 1 size down from what I feed so they do not outgrow the size needed too quickly... Then reorder every 2 weeks. This accounts for the minimum of 24 a day but gives me an extra 100 until I get my next order. Then order the additional feeders as well so they are roughly eating 36 a day. I also always do USPS priority mail hold at the post office. This way they are not in a hot or cold delivery truck.

Yep, when I have young chams I order 500 crickets 1 size down from what I feed so they do not outgrow the size needed too quickly... Then reorder every 2 weeks. This accounts for the minimum of 24 a day but gives me an extra 100 until I get my next order. Then order the additional feeders as well so they are roughly eating 36 a day. I also always do USPS priority mail hold at the post office. This way they are not in a hot or cold delivery truck.
I must have gotten some of my bug routine from you :)

Back
Top Bottom